need help for first fam session

JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited October 23, 2010 in People
Please give me some tips for my first paid family session. I going to a pumpkin patch with a family around 930 in the morning. They have 2 kids, ages 3 and 6. I need some group posing tips i can tell them. I plan to use my tamaron 17-50 2.3. Any tips or things to remember would be great. I usually shot my son or wife or both, usually never more than 2 people.

thanks,
Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Kinky Friedman

Comments

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Jwar wrote: »
    Please give me some tips for my first paid family session. I going to a pumpkin patch with a family around 930 in the morning. They have 2 kids, ages 3 and 6. I need some group posing tips i can tell them. I plan to use my tamaron 17-50 2.3. Any tips or things to remember would be great. I usually shot my son or wife or both, usually never more than 2 people.

thanks,

Someone told me to make sure the family gets in close to each other. Ever since I got that tip, I always make sure to let the family get settled in (they're usually a little stiff and not very close to each other), and I tell them to get closer (snap, snap), a little more (snap, snap). They feel a little silly at first, but I usually get some great genuine smiles from it. Go in with some positive energy, and they'll feed off that. :) Have fun!
    Kristen
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    A pumpkin patch is a fun place for props, get 'em in the patch, get 'em on a hay wagon, get 'em by the corn stalks.....
    Watch your backgrounds for distractions
    Watch your light source direction (sun)
    Shoot shallow DOF when called for...busy backgrounds...
    And yes, get 'em close together :-)
    Shoot between the shots too, you might get some nice keepers....
    Good luck
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    ...and you're getting paid. So, I'm assuming they are fond of your work. Seems more times than not, people forget to...just have fun. It's a family with small children. A sense of humor will go a looooong way in this situation. Good luck.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    ...and post some results, please.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Getting the kids to GIGGLE instead of someone telling them to smile makes for better images IMHO. Yes, get them in close, keep snapping, keep talking. If you want the kids to look at you.. you can only use this once.. ask them if they can see your nose, etc, through your camera lens.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Here's an update....
    I had a great time. The family was happy with the outcome. We got some great shots, here some samples...

I would have them make funny faces or mad faces...i got this..
    1045707675_Q5TY5-M.jpg

She was a little model of the group..
    1048415260_WW4wU-M.jpg

We just relaxed and had fun..
    1055599452_MHbiP-M.jpg

i did learn some of my weaknesses but i guess that's part of the whole game.

please let me know what you think..mwink.gif
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman