Options

Constructive Criticism Please

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited October 14, 2010 in Finishing School
I'd love to hear some constructive criticism please.

I've got a series of aerial shots. All shot the same time frame and lighting etc. I'm trying to improve my post-processing skills and could use some help.

The image is:

1039789887_ZvkXG-M.jpg

Again, if all you can do is tell me what's wrong with the photo, then I'll take it kindly if you'll kindly let me be. But if you can tell me what's wrong and how to correct/improve it, then I'm all ears.

Thanks
Jerry Nelson
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 9, 2010
    Since you specifically mention PP, I moved this to Finishing School. This pic looks flat and maybe a little soft--the latter is hard to judge in such a small version. You could easily improve it in Photoshop by applying a curve layer that raises the black point and boosts the mid-tones a bit. Some sharpening may also help but be careful not to introduce a halo where the sky meets the mountain tops.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Since you specifically mention PP, I moved this to Finishing School. This pic looks flat and maybe a little soft--the latter is hard to judge in such a small version. You could easily improve it in Photoshop by applying a curve layer that raises the black point and boosts the mid-tones a bit. Some sharpening may also help but be careful not to introduce a halo where the sky meets the mountain tops.

Thanks Richard! That's the kind of specific help I need specifically!

Blessings!
    Jerry Nelson
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    You could easily improve it in Photoshop by applying a curve layer that raises the black point and boosts the mid-tones a bit.

I would add to use the curve to boost the highlights to get the full dynamic range. If you look at the histogram, you'll see that the whole image (except for the watermark) is in the mid-tones, with no real white or black point.

To my eye, the color is really nice in the foreground, but way too blue and saturated in the sky and background. This may be what you were going for.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    I'd love to hear some constructive criticism please.

1. I think the color is wrong with *way* too much blue. So, first, I'd work on that. Aside from producing nicer looking colors, this will reduce the haze (which is often an issue with aerial shots).

2. I would also apply some very light NR.

3. Lift the black point and use a classic S-curve to boost mid-tone contrast.

4. Add sharpening. I would do this on a new layer and not be concerned about a nasty halo at the horizon. You can add quite a lot of sharpening that way. Then, simply add a mask and manually paint with a black brush a thin line along the horizon to completely nuke the halo.

You'll get much better results starting out with a RAW file but something like this:

z103.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    malch wrote: »
    1. I think the color is wrong with *way* too much blue. So, first, I'd work on that. Aside from producing nicer looking colors, this will reduce the haze (which is often an issue with aerial shots).

2. I would also apply some very light NR.

3. Lift the black point and use a classic S-curve to boost mid-tone contrast.

4. Add sharpening. I would do this on a new layer and not be concerned about a nasty halo at the horizon. You can add quite a lot of sharpening that way. Then, simply add a mask and manually paint with a black brush a thin line along the horizon to completely nuke the halo.

You'll get much better results starting out with a RAW file but something like this:

z103.jpg

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!