Sticky shutter on 300s?

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited October 14, 2010 in Cameras
My 300s might have an issue, the shutter seems to stick? You acquire focus, get the beap and you should be able to shoot instantly right? It seems to take a second or more to fire the shot. Think my baby might need a trip to Nikon. Has anyone else had this problem with a 300/300s?

Good thing I have a backup now:D

Comments

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    My 300s might have an issue, the shutter seems to stick? You acquire focus, get the beap and you should be able to shoot instantly right? It seems to take a second or more to fire the shot. Think my baby might need a trip to Nikon. Has anyone else had this problem with a 300/300s?

Good thing I have a backup now:D

Did some more testing with it outside. It seems fine in full light. But, in low light it seems to think a bit more than I remember?
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Is the camera possibly in 14 bit mode, by any chance? Do you get the same sluggish result when clicking the shutter without a lens at all?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited October 10, 2010
    Not in 14bit mode. Although when in 14bit the shutter does have a very different tone to it. Haven't tried without a lens. But I have tried a few lenses with the same result. But have not tried without one. I know it used to focus and give me a beep and shoot almost instantly. It might be hesitating on the focus part. It is in focus just not releasing.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Not in 14bit mode. Although when in 14bit the shutter does have a very different tone to it. Haven't tried without a lens. But I have tried a few lenses with the same result. But have not tried without one. I know it used to focus and give me a beep and shoot almost instantly. It might be hesitating on the focus part. It is in focus just not releasing.
    Have you tried manual focus? Also, check the AF settings in the camera. Clearly since you're hearing the beep, you're in AF-S, and it is set to focus priority release? (One of the first AF options)

Either way, I would definitely take off the lens and have a look at the actual shutter. Maybe switch the shooting mode to mirror lockup, and shoot a few pictures that way just to get a visual check on the shutter. Oh there is also shutter delay mode, which adds a 2 second delay, that could certainly be a culprit if you or someone accidentally turned it on. Oooh that gives me a great prank idea! :-P (It's option d9 in the custom settings menu, but I have a D300 not a D300s so it might be different...)

=Matt=
    edited October 11, 2010
    It started mid event on me at the last fight I shot. It really freaked me out. I thought it was my memory buffer, or a slow card. So I switched cards a few times with all the same result. Definitely no shutter delay on. Doesn't matter if it is on AFS or AFC. The focus priority I have is the one that shoots only when in focus. I have never changed it. Maybe I should, but........something is different. :cry
    edited October 11, 2010
    Seymore wrote: »
    Did you do a reset on the cam? ...from the menu?

Not yet. Need to mess with it tonight.
    edited October 12, 2010
    Did the reset. Didn't notice a change. Took lens off and fired away. Very quick with no lens. Put lens back on and it seems better? Tried my 50 1.8. Seems normal. Maybe something funky with the 17-55 or contacts on the lens or camera?
    edited October 12, 2010
    Did the reset. Didn't notice a change. Took lens off and fired away. Very quick with no lens. Put lens back on and it seems better? Tried my 50 1.8. Seems normal. Maybe something funky with the 17-55 or contacts on the lens or camera?
    DEFINITELY clean the contacts on all your lenses, and the contacts inside the camera. If you're a working professional, also get the camera serviced once a year, just for safety...

=Matt=
    edited October 12, 2010
    So, after the reset it was still doggin'? Took the lens (17-55) off and it cleared up? No delay with the 50? (just trying to understand...)

Yes you got it. So maybe a problem with the 17-55.

The contacts look great on it and the camera. What is a good cleaner for them? Alcohol and a q tip? My 300s is just over 1 year old. Not sure how many clicks. Need to look and see. Lost my EXIF program when I reformatted my system. It has seen lots of crappy conditions. So, maybe it is time for a cleaning. Is it best to do Nikon? Or a local place for service?
    edited October 13, 2010
    Might confirm the lens is the problem on another body, although it may not exhibit the same problems because of some idiosyncratic link between cam/lens. Hard to say at this point...

...And/Or another of your AFS lenses on this D300s causes the same problem? (would imply the prob is with the cam)

(Please understand that in the IT world I was a troubleshooter and usually followed the prob to its end. So, if you want to work with me on this... but strictly up to you.)

Good idea to try my other AFS lenses. Will try that today. Thanks for the help.
    edited October 14, 2010
    I tried a few lenses and back to my 17-55 and nothing weird. Focus fast and shutter released fast. Back to 17-55, seems normal? Am I just going crazy? Getting some kind of limp finger and not pressing the button hard enough? WTH? Maybe it is just dirtly contacts. All of the on off action has cleaned them up a bit?
    edited October 14, 2010
    It is a weird one for sure. Like I said, I wonder if it even happened. This lens has been on for a few weeks. But I do swap lenses around. This one does spend the most time on this camera though. I will post back any irregular behavior. This weekend will be a good test. Doing some motorcycle trials. If there is a delay, I will notice it then.