Options

Help printing 20x30

SparkySparky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited October 16, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi,

Andy suggested I post here to see if someone could help (I need it!):confused He also said you guys/gals like a challenge. I think this qualifies!

I'm trying to print this image:
1040393305_9vEoS-M.jpg

at 20"x30" for a final size without losing any of the truck. It says it needs to be cropped in the shopping cart and I lose some from both the left and right sides. I have PS Elements to work with but have not been able to figure out how to crop or resize to not lose any of the photo.

Is it even possible? :dunno

I've found I can print it with white borders by selecting the "no crop" option in the shopping cart, but ideally I would love to have it without any white.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited October 9, 2010
    You can always have a print made smaller than your picture frame and allow white borders, to be trimmed later. Then matte the print to the chosen frame.

You can also add a "digital matte" to pad the image to any size and aspect ratio you desire. I can demonstrate if you wish. I don't know if Elements can do it easily but full Photoshop surely can.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2010
    Any help would be appreciated, the frame size is 20" x 30" and the other photos it will be next to do not have any white borders showing. I was trying to match this with those photos and have the final 20 x 30 print go edge to edge with out losing anything. It is a perfect example of the need to leave room around the subject, I just hope I remember to do it in the future!
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Here's a 20X30 crop:

1041208935_fxnnJ-M.jpg

Its not perfect, but here are the steps I used to get there.

1. open file and crop to 30X20. You will have a black vacant canvas at the bottom.
    2.Select area of photo, transform and stretch a little.
    3. Clone in more road below.

I did this in a few minutes on your low rez photo. I am sure you can do a much more careful job on yours. You might try cloning a litttle above and below to more center the truck. Its not the greatest background, if you are well known to the station, why not reshoot?

I hope this helps!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2010
    Thank you very much! The photo was taken with a film camera several years ago. I only had a scan of a 4x6 print to work with. I just found the original .bmp scan on an external hard drive. That .bmp file was 1820 x 1202 pixels. I took that file and cropped to 30 by 20 as you suggested and didn't lose any of the vehicle in the crop. I saved it as a jpeg and it is a 20MB file with a 7000 x 4683 pixel size.

Is this the correct way to do it?

I would love to be able to re shoot it, but it has gone to the "great scrapyard in the sky". Thanks again for all your help, if you're ever in Buffalo and need anything please feel free to contact me.
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Sparky wrote: »
    Thank you very much! The photo was taken with a film camera several years ago. I only had a scan of a 4x6 print to work with. I just found the original .bmp scan on an external hard drive. That .bmp file was 1820 x 1202 pixels. I took that file and cropped to 30 by 20 as you suggested and didn't lose any of the vehicle in the crop. I saved it as a jpeg and it is a 20MB file with a 7000 x 4683 pixel size.

Is this the correct way to do it?

I would love to be able to re shoot it, but it has gone to the "great scrapyard in the sky". Thanks again for all your help, if you're ever in Buffalo and need anything please feel free to contact me.

I use GIMP (I can't afford photoshop) and there's a plug in for GIMP called "liquid rescaler" that I've used to accomplish this.

I used to live in Buffalo (Delaware AVe) and did some shooting for Millard Fillmore hospital. Blessings!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2010
    Sparky wrote: »
    Any help would be appreciated, the frame size is 20" x 30" and the other photos it will be next to do not have any white borders showing. I was trying to match this with those photos and have the final 20 x 30 print go edge to edge with out losing anything. It is a perfect example of the need to leave room around the subject, I just hope I remember to do it in the future!

As a suggestion:

1050053653_Z6f8R-O.jpg

Cropped slightly at the right side before the digital matte.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Here's a 20X30 crop:

1041208935_fxnnJ-M.jpg

Its not perfect, but here are the steps I used to get there.

1. open file and crop to 30X20. You will have a black vacant canvas at the bottom.
    2.Select area of photo, transform and stretch a little.
    3. Clone in more road below.

I did this in a few minutes on your low rez photo. I am sure you can do a much more careful job on yours. You might try cloning a litttle above and below to more center the truck. Its not the greatest background, if you are well known to the station, why not reshoot?

I hope this helps!

Z

I like what you did here. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2010
    Thanks, this thread got moved around and I replied elsewhere! I was able to find my original scan on an old external hard drive and was able to crop it to 23 x 34:
    1041564440_KfgQ4-L.jpg

What Zanotti did is very close to the original. I ordered a 20 x 30 and will let you know how it came out. Thanks again to everyone!