Gear suggestions and advice?

KotaluKotalu Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited October 11, 2010 in Cameras
Hello and thanks in advance for bringing this long time lurker into the light!

I'm a mom with a full time job and two little kids trying to support everything while my hub finishes his PhD, and also trying to build a photography business on the side. I know, I'm insane.

The upshot is: I'm poor. At this point, all of my business profits are going toward making my selection of gear less embarrassing. I don't have access to a studio, and do all of my shooting on location: parks, homes, etc. I do have one gig every summer shooting at a children's day camp. Lots of direct sunlight, some gym sports and a theater play every three weeks, so quite the little selection of lighting challenges!

I've been saving for a while, and can afford to buy myself some presents for Christmas. Help a mama out?

Here's what I have currently:

Nikon d90
AF-S Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR (this is my main lens for the camp job)
Nikkor 50mm 1.8 prime lens (my portrait lens)
The kit lens that came with the d90 (haven't used in years)
Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (for theater)

Tripod
Speedlight SB-600 (that I really don't know how to use effectively)
5 in 1 reflector kit and light stand
Remote
Camera backpack

That's it except for UV filters and memory cards. So, here's my question: is my next move to try to find a d300 on sale on craigslist or eBay? Or do I need to add to my lighting setup?

Thanks for your time and help.
K
Kota (short for "Dakota") Lu (short for "Lucy"). Best pooches a girl could ask for.

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    I don't see anything "embarrassing" about your current setup. If you really want to upgrade from the D90, the new D7000 might be the best choice unless you want (and can afford) to go up to a D700 or D3s (in which case you'd want to replace your 18-200mm, which if I recall correctly is a DX lens). But the D90 is still a very good camera.

The real question is what you find most limiting about your current equipment. I don't think, based on what you've said, that anyone here can tell you whether your camera, lenses, or lighting equipment are most in need of an upgrade. You're in a better position to judge that than we are.

Personally, I hate camera backpacks because you can't take things out of them without taking them off and setting them down. I find shoulder bags far easier to work with.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 10, 2010
    I suggest that the best results are achieved with control over lighting. More flashes (preferably with manual power control), some flash modifiers (bounce card devices, scoop modifiers, umbrellas, Softlighter, softbox, snoot and grids), light stands, umbrella brackets, radio slaves, etc.

All of these things, along with their understanding and proper use, will do more to improve your photographic quality than either a new lens or a new body (unless you need some quality/qualities not available in your current lenses and body, which doesn't seem to be so much the case).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KotaluKotalu Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Thanks so much for the lightning fast responses!

craig_d: I hadn't considered the d7000, and now I'm off the do some research. Looks like it's got a lot of the features I'd want! Thanks for the tip.

As far as camera backpacks go, the reason I went that way is because I have to stay so mobile. Being in a park, chasing kiddos around... my shoulder bag was very clumsy, and I can't really set it down anywhere safely in a public place. I do hear what you're saying about what a pain it is to get things in and out.

ziggy53: I'm still learning about how to create lighting rather than just use what's available. I don't even know what half the things are you mentioned! I guess it's time for some research. Would all of these lighting accessories still be worthwhile given the fact that I have no studio and need to remain very portable?

I worry a little bit that the d90 is limiting me in terms of its ISO capability and also its autofocus sensors. My original thought had been that since the new d300s came out, I would be able to find some d300's deeply discounted. I'll also admit to feeling like a bit of a noob carrying around a plastic camera body. I know, I know... Nikon owns me. ;)
    Thanks again! Your advice is invaluable.
    Kota (short for "Dakota") Lu (short for "Lucy"). Best pooches a girl could ask for.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Kotalu wrote: »
    Hello and thanks in advance for bringing this long time lurker into the light!

I'm a mom with a full time job and two little kids trying to support everything while my hub finishes his PhD, and also trying to build a photography business on the side. I know, I'm insane.

The upshot is: I'm poor. At this point, all of my business profits are going toward making my selection of gear less embarrassing. I don't have access to a studio, and do all of my shooting on location: parks, homes, etc. I do have one gig every summer shooting at a children's day camp. Lots of direct sunlight, some gym sports and a theater play every three weeks, so quite the little selection of lighting challenges!

I've been saving for a while, and can afford to buy myself some presents for Christmas. Help a mama out?

Here's what I have currently:

Nikon d90
    AF-S Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR (this is my main lens for the camp job)
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8 prime lens (my portrait lens)
    The kit lens that came with the d90 (haven't used in years)
    Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (for theater)

Tripod
    Speedlight SB-600 (that I really don't know how to use effectively)
    5 in 1 reflector kit and light stand
    Remote
    Camera backpack

That's it except for UV filters and memory cards. So, here's my question: is my next move to try to find a d300 on sale on craigslist or eBay? Or do I need to add to my lighting setup?

Thanks for your time and help.
    K

RIght, nothing embarrassing here!

But, what is it YOU feel like You need??
    tom wise
    edited October 10, 2010
    angevin1: Thanks for the reply! Mostly, I'm concerned about autofocus and ISO when I think about a camera body. Having better ergonomics and an alloy frame would be swanky too. Hence my intrigue with the d300 or the d7000.

But I also get lots of headaches during the summer months when I'm shooting at this camp, and I'm dealing with direct sunlight, kids in hats with huge brims, quick movement in orange-y school gymnasiums... And then I wonder if I shouldn't invest in a better flash setup that I could use portably. ne_nau.gif

Hell, at the end of the day, I just want to take better photos. Maybe instead of gear I should be investing my money in lessons! Wish I had time for that kind of thing...
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    The d300 is going to improve your AF quite a bit. So you'll get more keepers but the ISO and image quality will be the same as your d90.

What's your budget?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited October 10, 2010
    Budget? Around $1000. I could squeak a little more and put up with some glares from my better half. But not much more... is the d300 the right way to go? That d7000 looks like a really nice camera.

I'll admit to being a bit cheesed off by some comments I've received in real life from another photographer I know about how "when I really want to get serious" I'll "get some better gear." Yeah. That gal's a treat. But you all are saying that my gear is ok. Maybe I should begin growing some thicker skin... rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 10, 2010
    Well, the D90 is a good camera. The D3 is surely superior to it in many ways, but the real question is whether you're able to get the results you want with what you have, and if not, whether the features of a higher-end model would help, or whether, on the other hand, it would be more effective for you to improve your lighting equipment, buy some other accessories, or simply work on improving your skills.

Kids wearing brimmed hats in the sun suggests to me that you should learn how to use fill flash effectively using your SB600. People sometimes think flash is just for when the light is bad, but when there is strong contrast between light and shade, just a little bit of flash can bring the shadows up nicely without looking unrealistic.

As for the person who thinks your D90 isn't serious, you might want to pick up a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Camera-One-Thats-You/dp/0321684788/

which is a collection of images by professional photographer Chase Jarvis, all shot with... an iPhone! Then ask yourself if the person who's sneering at your D90 could make pictures as good as the ones in this book, even with $50k of high-end digital pro gear.

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Honestly with that equipment you could pretty much do anything. I see no reason to spend money on gear right now, you'd be much better off investing time instead of money, just getting good at photography. (Haven't checked out your work or anything so I don't know if you're already an amazing photographer, but either way...)

The D90 isn't really that limited, not even compared to the D300. Yes it's a little better, but maybe I'm just at a different point in my life than others. If I had $1000 to spend, I wouldn't be spending it on cameras. I'd be spending it on making my quality of life a little bit better, so I can focus more on mastering the equipment I've already got.

Bottom line- There's not much the D300 can handle easily that the D90 can't handle with just a little bit more skill. And I'll take better skill over better equipment any day of the week.

If you're hoping to eventually make a professional side job out of this, a used D700 is currently the best long-term investment. And even then, only if you shoot certain things more than others. (Portraits, low-light...) Personally in my own hobby of outdoor adventure photography, right now I'm really excited about the D7000. Even though I'll probably be buying a used D700 sooner, for my *work* photography...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited October 10, 2010
    Thanks again for all the kind replies!

I've been semi-pro for three years now. I wouldn't call myself amazing by any stretch. For example, I'm still terrified to shoot a wedding even though I've been asked to. I don't trust myself enough yet. For now I'm sticking to lower stakes portraiture.

I hear what y'all are saying about investing in skills and I agree. Time is just one thing I don't have any of right now. I'm taking an online course, which is about all I can cram in at the moment.

But here's my question: CLEARLY gear is worth something. I hear what you say about how a good photographer can make any equipment work, but then I notice that all the "serious" photographers are shooting with $5000+ setups. It's incongruous.

Right now my strategy is to arrange myself and my subject(s) in such a way as to maximize the light available, I set my settings such that I think they take best advantage of the scene, and then I shoot like crazy and hope something turns out. I just wonder how many photos I'm currently throwing out that I wouldn't have been able to keep had they been shot with better gear.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings! You all have been VERY kind.
    K
    edited October 10, 2010
    But here's my question: CLEARLY gear is worth something. I hear what you say about how a good photographer can make any equipment work, but then I notice that all the "serious" photographers are shooting with $5000+ setups. It's incongruous.

I think the resolution of this apparent paradox is that a professional knows exactly what he wants and what the difference is between one camera or lens and another. If you can honestly say to yourself, "I'm not getting exactly the pictures I want because of X, which my camera doesn't have or isn't good at. Camera A would be better for me because it has specific features that make it do X better." -- then perhaps you have a good reason to buy Camera A. But don't just buy a more expensive model because you think it's generally better in unspecified ways, or because everyone else says it's the best, or just to have a "serious" camera so your stuck-up acquaintance will stop looking down her nose at you.

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    You can definitely do well with the gear you have! depending on where you feel you are lacking, the folks here (us, we?) can definitely help you out in finding affordable but good quality lenses (if needed).

it seems that you seem a bit frustrated by light issues, but I'm not sure where at. There are some good books on location and studio lighting - but with a minimalistic approach. Some good dvds out there too, but books start cheaper :)http://www.amazon.com/Minimalist-Lighting-Professional-Techniques-Photography/dp/1584282304/ is a good one - click on the author, he has a studio one too. Your library system might have them too, but at least locally they didn't, but I found the $20+ investment worthwhile.

good luck! look forward to hearing more about what you think you need.

(for the record, I did pretty well with a D50 for a while! and the same lenses you have :) )
    //Leah
    edited October 10, 2010
    Have I mentioned that you guys are amazing? Here I am, a complete nobody off the turnip truck, and so many of you have taken time to give me some really great advice. That means a LOT to me. Thank you!

I definitely have more to learn about light. Fill flash for sure, diffusers and reflectors and scrim... yes and yes and yes. And my stuck up acquaintance? *sigh* It would be very nice to have enough money to have a D3s as my main camera and a d700 as a backup. And lenses that are bigger than my leg. And strobes. That sort of thing is so far out of the realm of possibility it's a joke. And you guys are right, the "seriousness" of a photographer should not be determined by gear.

I guess the way I see it, it's like painting. Painters are not made great because they use the highest quality paints and brushes and canvas. But using high quality tools and materials can definitely ease the process and help the artist achieve their vision. There's probably a reason that most professional artists don't use crayolas. Not that a d90 is a crayola equivalent. But you get what I'm trying to say...

So, if my main issues are these, are these the directions I should go to fix?

1. Horrific shadows and blown highlights in full sun
    Learn to use fill flash, look into diffusers, etc. and play with exposure compensation: no new gear seems to be required.

2. Shooting in low light for fast action (volleyball, basketball, etc. in school gyms)
    Tripod. But also this is where I'm thinking I may need something that allows me to reach a higher ISO setting. d7000, mayhaps?

3. Tack-sharp portraits in natural light settings
    Also, this is where I'm wondering if additional AF points may help me. Also good breathing technique using my non-VR 50mm. And prayer.
    edited October 10, 2010
    1. Right, no new gear needed for this.

2. Not a tripod, but a fast prime lens, because fast action requires fast exposures if you want to freeze motion. When your subject is moving, a tripod doesn't help. Your 50mm f/1.8 might work well for this. Higher ISO can also help. The D7000 was only announced just recently; I haven't seen a detailed review of it yet that compares its high-ISO noise to the D90, D300, and/or D700. My guess would be it will probably be very good, but probably not quite up with the D700.

3. Your 50mm f/1.8 should be quite adequate for sharp portraits, though you probably want to stay at f/2.8 or so rather than opening up to f/1.8. Most lenses aren't at their sharpest if you open them up all the way, and at f/1.8 for a portrait you'd have a person's eyes in focus (both, if you're lucky) and the tip of his nose blurry -- probably not ideal.

edited October 10, 2010
    2. Not a tripod, but a fast prime lens, because fast action requires fast exposures if you want to freeze motion. When your subject is moving, a tripod doesn't help. Your 50mm f/1.8 might work well for this

Really? I don't think I'd be able to get anywhere near close enough with that lens. I'm usually required to be pretty far away. I see what you mean about the (lack of) tripod, though. Maybe something more like my 80-200 f/2.8? I usually like zoom for that kind of complicated event where people are moving towards and away from me at high speed. But that lens doesn't have VR, and I'm afraid that without a tripod I'd lose all hope of good focus.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    RE: your carrying sollution, have you looked at the Thinktank Speedracer or other belt pack? I recently got one and its pretty good. I hate backpacks. Much too slow.
    edited October 10, 2010
    Really? I don't think I'd be able to get anywhere near close enough with that lens. I'm usually required to be pretty far away. I see what you mean about the (lack of) tripod, though. Maybe something more like my 80-200 f/2.8? I usually like zoom for that kind of complicated event where people are moving towards and away from me at high speed. But that lens doesn't have VR, and I'm afraid that without a tripod I'd lose all hope of good focus.

If you're too far away for the 50mm, then of what you have now, the 80-200mm is the best choice; if you need a tripod for stability, go for it. One thing you might do is try to figure out through experience what single focal length would be most useful to you for this purpose (85mm? 135mm? 200mm?) and then see if you can afford a faster prime of, say, f/2 to f/1.4 in that focal length.

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Agree with the 85mm 1.8 being a good lens to invest in! fast prime and enough zoom for at least some of the action shots - and lovely for portrait work :)
    //Leah
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    I hear what y'all are saying about investing in skills and I agree. Time is just one thing I don't have any of right now. I'm taking an online course, which is about all I can cram in at the moment.

Right off the bat, I gotta say that if "time is just one thing you don't have any of right now", then your photography will NOT improve no matter what you buy. In fact, without ample time for practice and mastering your equipment, your photography will get WORSE if you buy a more advanced camera.

Of course I'm sure you at least have SOME time, and are already pretty confident in the operation of your D90, so you may indeed be ready for an upgrade. But I just wanted to point out the importance of TIME and experience. There is no substitute for it, and no new AF module, or FPS or ISO, can make up for a lack of hours logged behind the camera. I'm sure this goes without saying, hopefully.

:-)

Secondly, I will definitely not deny that I'd *prefer* to work with professional gear that makes my job easier. And when someone has lots of money to spend, I usually advise them to just buy the best they can afford, and grow into it. It's better than "wasting" your money on a beginner DSLR and then hitting a wall in 6 months when you realize you can't focus very reliably in low light, or something like that.

However, I just can't bring myself to recommend the D300 or D7000 as an upgrade for someone who is looking to shoot professionally, especially if you hope to some day photograph a high-pressure job such as a wedding. While they are both very capable cameras and I currently shoot weddings with a D300 almost every single weekend, it's just not a good long-term investment in my opinion. Unless you can buy and sell a used D300 for about the same exact price or at a very minimal loss, (are you gentle on your gear?) ...I would prefer to recommend simply saving up another $1000, total it at $2K, and get a used D700. It will be a much better long-term, professional solution for anyone shooting portraits or in low-light.

Take care,

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • EmmettEmmett Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Hi Kotalu,

I'm a Canon user, however, I'm aware that some of the newer Nikons have ADR. Adaptive Dynamic Range. Here's an explanation of it...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm

I'm sure some Nikon users on here will tell you if it's worth having. But it's not set automatically you have to go into the menu's and switch it on. It's called Adaptive D-Lighting in the menu. This may help you control the highlights better. It's always worth checking that you have the latest firmware update for your D90 as well. Try looking in the "camera updates" thread at the top of the page here.

As everyone has said it's better to work with what you've got than throw money at it by buying new gear. However, things move fast in digital photography and an upgrade may be benificial to you.

One thing to remember is metal bodied DSLR's are really heavy and if you don't need the extra ruggedness then carrying all that extra weight all day can be a pain. Try holding a D700 in one hand and your D90 in the other then tell me which you'd prefer to carry all day!

Good luck.thumb.gif
  • EmmettEmmett Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Having checked the Nikon USA site there are no firmware updates for the D90 so you're good to go!
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Emmett wrote: »
    Hi Kotalu,

Try holding a D700 in one hand and your D90 in the other then tell me which you'd prefer to carry all day!

The 700.
    edited October 11, 2010
    I'm at work right now and so can't give the detailed reply I want to. THANK YOU for all the thoughts. I am scribbling furious notes!
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Kotalu, maybe it was mentioned before and I didn't see it, but don't forget you can always rent lenses for special shoots or situations. It's a great way to try new things or have new capabilities without a big investment. For example, I'm just a hobbyist, but a few weeks ago I rented a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for my daughters gymnastics meet (indoor gym, low light, no flash allowed). I was able to sell enough prints to pay for the rental fee, and it was a great way to test out and learn about a new lens and style of shooting.

-adamc

www.adamcartwright.com