Birthday Party - Always a struggle

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 13, 2010 in People
We have quite a few friends and family with small children. We end up going to a lot of kid birthdays and I am often asked to take photos. I always stress because even though I'm doing it as favor, it is an important day and I don't want to give them a bunch of snapshots that blow. My biggest struggle is all the chaos going on and the distracted backgrounds and kids heads everywhere. How can you get anything more than snapshot-type photos in a setting like this?

Here is a birthday we attended on Saturday. I took quite a lot of shots. I tried to get in close since I figured this is the best way to eliminate a lot of the "noise". Am I expecting way too much from these kind of events or do these look pretty decent to you? BTW, I shot all of these with my speedlight which I held in my hand off camera. I bounced the light off various walls as much as I could.

1042541904_dKWmH-XL.jpg

1042527063_bGmEN-XL.jpg

1042533063_igJsH-XL.jpg

1042534827_jRWj7-XL.jpg

1042529940_Qu58d-XL.jpg

1042540682_GnHCn-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• MzChristineMzChristine Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2010
    Well, I'm not a professional but my friends and family are pretty much my main subjects and photography is a bit of an obsession so I'll share my opinion (for what it's worth). Family 'photojournalism' is fun but challenging and I think these examples are way above the average snaps people take. The lighting is wonderful (I'm envious of lighting.. i'm still not there yet) and the kids are all oblivious (with the exception of 2) so you are actually capturing their reactions to each other and the fun vs the camera. Because these are so personal, I think to a certain extent capturing some of the background is good. How many times have you looked at an old photo in your album and noticed a pet, or furniture or some other detail that gets you going OH I remember that (and as such trigger a whole different story)! Also everything is nice and crisp while capturing the constant motion that comes with children and parties. I would certainly be pleased as can be to have photos like these of my kids in my album. :):
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    don't worry about the "noise" in family/friends type shoots. It's expected and to a degree good to have. Just try to get a few shots that are cleanly framed and "artistic" to acnchor the others. The light you have is pretty nice...except you don't need to hold the flash off camera since you are naked bouncing though at time it can afford some more flexibility in portrait mode
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Consider shooting long and shallow in addition to what you have here... These are great, just add a couple where the birthday girl is singled out as the focus of the pic.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Thanks guys. Daniel, thanks for the advice. I did get a few posed and planned shots, but I get what you mean. Not sure why you thought I was naked while holding the flash though. I know I like to take SPs with my shirt off but even I have limits. :D

Heather, thanks for looking and giving me some suggestions. I will try to remember to get tighter shots. Now that I look at the photos, I did get a couple good shots of the birthday girl. Not the best but not bad I guess:

1042541345_gfvvB-XL.jpg

1042527647_tzygQ-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    For this type of activity and unless you are going to disrupt them and get some posed shots, you did a fine job....
    I shoot my kids all the time and it's all about capturing those moments.
    I have used the off cam flash method in the past and it works well, now I prefer to shoot fleshless and I bump the ISO to 3200 or more if necessary.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    now I prefer to shoot fleshless and I bump the ISO to 3200 or more if necessary.

snicker (in a friendly way). I have a visual of a skeleton perched on a stool or ladder, armed with a huge camera taking photographs. Hmmm. Halloween idea for sure.rolleyes1.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    snicker (in a friendly way). I have a visual of a skeleton perched on a stool or ladder, armed with a huge camera taking photographs. Hmmm. Halloween idea for sure.rolleyes1.gif

HAHA... I read that typo too but decided not to comment. Your idea would make a good Halloween decoration.

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Oh dang...
    That was the typo of all typos rolleyes1.gif
    Yo soy Reynaldo