Options

Photos Viewed bug?

DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited September 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Ever since I've put videos on my site, my photos viewed has always had decimal points...

4723.4036945 currently.

I can deal with the decimal points, but is the whole number correct? Have I really had 4,723 photo views in the past 4 days???

Comments

• Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Ever since I've put videos on my site, my photos viewed has always had decimal points...

4723.4036945 currently.

I can deal with the decimal points, but is the whole number correct? Have I really had 4,723 photo views in the past 4 days???

The number of times each video has been viewed is stored as a float, because often people don't watch/download an entire video. I was looking through the API yesterday and found this page that explains this. :):

As for having that many photo views...you must be popular. :D If you geotagged photos recently, some of that 4,723 total might be from those geotagged photos' thumbnails showing up at maps.smugmug.com (since they're, for a while, the most recently updated images). In general, since thumbnails count towards the hits, and thumbnails are used throughout the site, it doesn't take long to rack up a high count if you get a few visitors clicking around your site and albums.

Click the 'more details' link next to your stat summary to see where all those hits were going.
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    asd wrote:
    The number of times each video has been viewed is stored as a float, because often people don't watch/download an entire video. I was looking through the API yesterday and found this page that explains this. :):
    Yea I figured that, it just seems like a big number for only a few days into the month! I just downloaded my own video, and it only went up one...maybe its legit...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Yea I figured that, it just seems like a big number for only a few days into the month! I just downloaded my own video, and it only went up one...maybe its legit...

from the smugmug help files
    These stats represent "real" hits only, not cached hits. Chances are good that a high percentage of these "hits" are unique photo viewings, since the vast majority of web browsers will cache the images.

Every time someone views one of your photos, at a specific size, for the first time, a "hit" is logged, and you see that statistic here. Every time they come back and view that photo, their view is NOT logged a 2nd, 3rd, etc time.

When they view a different SIZE of that same photo, though, another "hit" is logged, again, once only. So someone who sees your "thumbnail" and then also sees your "Medium" sized photo will create 2 "hits", hence the way the graph breaks down your stats.

The most important numbers are probably those for Medium, Large, and Original, since that indicates how many people looked at your larger photos after seeing thumbnails (so-called "conversion ratio"), but that's really entirely up to you.

Of course, linking directly to large photos on eBay, a message forum, or in an email will dramatically skew the ratio, so take it with a grain of salt. "