Options

Kansas Sunrise HDR - C&C Please

gb2379gb2379 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 12, 2010 in Landscapes
This is one of my first HDRs and am looking for some comments and critiques. I've noticed some dust spots I need to go back and fix. Before I do that, I want to get some feedback on other edits.

1) Too much yellow? Personally, I think it needs some more orange/red in the highlights, but am having trouble getting PS to play along without destroying the blue in the sky.
2) Should the field be better exposed?

Other thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 11, 2010
    Looks good! Regarding the color, I wasn't there, but it looks fine to me. HDR shouldn't affect color to any great degree, so I'm wondering why you want to mess with it. The field in the foreground looks correct. I wouldn't change it.

You did a great job on capturing the entire range, especially the sun star without blowing it out. Kudos on that. My only nit would be that I think the composition needs more of a focal point. A tree at a rule-of-thirds position, or a house, or something to break up the monotony of the Kansas plain would be icing on the cake. Good job though!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    very nice pic.....Are you sure that is Kansas........I lived in Kansas, this time around, for over 30 yrs
    and never say a sunrise like that and I sleep out doors a lot trying to catch one of those..... :~}}

Very well done.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    gb2379gb2379 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2010
    Thanks for the comments.

I agree that the composition needs more of a focal point. I was just driving through, so was very limited on scoping a location. I looked in the rear view mirror, saw that the sun was coming up and that the clouds looked nice. Only option was to quickly find a farm road to get away from telephone poles, etc. I tried to at least get the horizon and the sun on a 1/3 line. Next time I head out there, I'll have to scope out some old barns, wooden silos, large lone trees/clusters, etc. for a more interesting picture.

Art, this was about 30 minutes west of Wichita just off HWY 54. The sunrise last time I drove back from there was incredible too, but I missed my opportunity to capture it.
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    I think you have a very nice picture here IMHO!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95