Napa and the Fuzz...

DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited July 3, 2004 in Wildlife
Hello all again.

I got this first shot of Napa Valley (the lower end of it) from a friend's spectacular view and balcony. I havent touched it as far as computer manipulation goes, so take it for what its worth...

And then, theres the Fuzz! You though I meant the police--ala 70's style--didnt you?! Nope, its my beloved kitten (not a kitten anymore at 8 yrs!), with a grayscale converison and a "clarification" touch-up done...

What say you?
He who throws dirt, loses ground...

Comments

• DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    The Fuzz-butt!

Sorry, forgot to mention: this picture was taken with an ISO of 400, hence the graniness... I had forgotten to reset the value back to auto (which essentially means only 64 to this camera's brain...) after taking some no-flash pics last night at the opening of Farenheit 9/11 (of which I saw the second or third showing of the day :D !!!)... Sorry for the blunder...
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    I like the cat, the range of grays come out well. Know what you mean about forgetting to reset the ISO - I'm embarassed by how many times I've done the same thing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 26, 2004
    Yeah, the grays came out good cause she's a gray kitty! But actually, theres some more color too her than youd probably think, with her eyes and nose being key points... Myabe Ill post the color version after I figure out how to make the despeckle function on PSP actually do some good!
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Yeah, the grays came out good cause she's a gray kitty! But actually, theres some more color too her than youd probably think, with her eyes and nose being key points... Myabe Ill post the color version after I figure out how to make the despeckle function on PSP actually do some good!
    You might try turning off sharpening in the camera and seeing if the grain problem gets better.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Good tip, cmr, I think that explained a weird problem I've been having in good light situations.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    The grain looks great! I like it. By the way, how's Farenheit 9/11? I can't see it until I get back from China.
    edited June 28, 2004
    Hmmm... That does remind me of something I remember *hearing* about (remember how much *hearing* about something got me in trouble on RDO, seamaiden? eek7.gif )... In a review--I think by some major newspaper--they said that although the sensor in the f828 is amongst the best in its class, it has a tendency towards both "hot pixels" or whatever they called it, and artifacts (I think), when you mess with the settings (dont remember which 11doh.gif )... They said that supposedly Minolta's 8MP camera was the answer to that... *Wishes I had a better memory*...

You like the grain, damon?! Man, I guess there really are all sorts of tastes out there (no offense intended, good sir!)! I cant stand it, but I can see where youre coming from with the whole "artsy" creative photography thing (I think thats what youre getting at...?)
    Farenheit 9/11 was awesome if you enjoy the good, wholesome, constructive, and downright wholly American pastime of critisizing and exposing your political leaders in a funny way; what I like to call a good, partisan, presidential bashing! Dont get me wrong, though; Bush may be a snake in the grass (watch the movie; youll see), but Kerry is a bit of a ninny for me... My vote goes to Nader; forget "voting strategically" and all that! I dont think this country can get much worse anyway, though...
    Solomente meu's dois centavos.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Farenheit 9/11 was awesome if you enjoy the good, wholesome, constructive, and downright wholly American pastime of critisizing and exposing your political leaders in a funny way; what I like to call a good, partisan, presidential bashing! Dont get me wrong, though; Bush may be a snake in the grass (watch the movie; youll see), but Kerry is a bit of a ninny for me... My vote goes to Nader; forget "voting strategically" and all that! I dont think this country can get much worse anyway, though...
    Solomente meu's dois centavos.

Check out this site.

WARNING: off color language if you follow that link.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Um, we might have to move this to Wide Angle.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 29, 2004
    Well, heres the best shot of my newer clownfish (Ill leave the ID to seamaiden so she can feel special :D ! Dont hurt me!), but the resizing really messed it up; the ISO was only 100 (or was it 200...?), and the sharpness was on normal (too sharp still?), and it didnt look like this under zoom on screen at its original resolution... I tried the despeckle, jpeg artifact remover (at maximum strength after the first few tries...), and the "salt and pepper" filter, but they didnt seem to have much effect (I played with it, going back and forth with undo/redo, just to see...)... Any ideas?
    What do you think of the new guy? Pretty handsome fellow, to me atleast--thats why I bought'im! Im preeeetty sure hes gonna be the guy, SM, the way "shes" (the original and formerly female clown) acting!
    edited June 29, 2004
    Well, I just had to even it out and post one of the goofy dog... I dont like dogs, especially not this one, since she never listens to you! Then again, that may be because shes almost totally deaf (goin' on 14 years for this mutt!), but she could still pay attention to the visuals! Dumb dogs...

I did nothing to this photo, except the resizing. It seemed a bit grainy still, but better than the others for some reason. Im gonna check my ISO settings again...

What say you? The stuff on her nose I have no idea what is, and I think she was starting to fall asleep sitting up as I took the shot... Her name is Lily. English springer spaniel. Dumb dogs.
    Also, theres these lines that appeared when I shrunk it down like I did to get it to pass (I have to smaller than 800x600 on this one why?), and the function I thought was for getting rid of that did nothing for it, so it must be called something else... If it exists, right?

Oh yeah, and notice Im around at this time of night! Damn police are sneakin around tonight, so everybody's on the down-low and stuff's canceled left and right... Crap. At least I sleep tonight...
    edited July 3, 2004
    Hmmmm... Guess no one liked it!