New camera, new shooter.

Mike.GailMike.Gail Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited October 13, 2010 in Holy Macro
First post. :D

Anyway.

Without digging for the EXIF data buried in the pic (That you may go looking for anyway) Camera is a brand new Canon EOS Rebel T1i body with a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di (LD Macro 1:2) set to macro in bright sunlight and shutter speed adjusted manually for slight underexposure. These were some of the first few pics I took on the camera and as such I was just messing around. (I still had the manual in my pocket but as I said, I was just messing around.)

First pic is an unknown orange flower growing out of a crack in the sidewalk near my trashcan, and the second is a rosebush about six feet away. For the orange flower I was apparently too close for the lens to auto focus properly so I got the focus to set by moving my head. I stood back a bit farther for the second. No after image processing, everything is as it came off the camera then loaded to smuggy.

1036083335_YmboG-XL.jpg

1036084024_Mgtmw-XL.jpg

Here comes the n00btasticness: How do I increase my depth of field? It's ok for the orange flower because it's just about face-on, but the rose has very little actually in focus. (Also, where would night shots go, of say...a campfire?)

Comments

• jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    love the yellow flower in the first one the color pops
  • mark_hmark_h Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    welcome, you are among friends. I am guessing these were shot hand held and you said on auto focus, both images lack detail and in macro detail is everything. You might want to try going to manual focus and if a tripod is not practical
    perhaps a pole to steady the camera. The trick is to get you subject in focus by rocking back and forth and release the shutter. There are lots of good tutorial here to give you the basics. Keep going, remember it's not the pictures we take it's the strides we make. Take care.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    You asked about increasing your DOF. Well, without stacking multiple images, the only way for you to increase your DOF is to stop down your lens. These were shot at f5.6. Try a smaller aperture. Take your camera off autofocus. As advised above, steady your camera with a monopod, or just a stick, and rock back and forth 'till you obtain focus on the most important element in your subject.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    On your other question about campfire shots they would fall into the Other Cool Shots section. I would know since campfires are close to my heart. rolleyes1.gif

Welcome to DGRIN. wave.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Welcome to the forum and good start with the camera.
    Did well with the exposures- very easy to blow the colour on reds and yellows. Athought there is some colour overexposure on #1.
    The only way to increase the DOF a bit is either reduce the magnification or decrease the aperture size (higher F number). You can of course look at different angles to maximise the amount of subject that is in the plane of focus.
    Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 13, 2010
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM wave.gif

good first shots with new gear, bright sun not the best for shooting macro
    keep posting