Options

Lightroom Catalogs, how far back to do keep

picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited October 13, 2010 in Finishing School
I have just filled up another external hard drive, I was wondering if you keep all your catalog backups or do you go through and delete some? It would seem I don't need them all if the latest catalog has everything anyways.

Any thoughts on deleting backed up catalogs, pros cons????

Comments

• Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    You are correct. As time goes on (and you add more photos and do more work in your catalog) your old backup copies become more and more out of date. If you ever had to fall back on a backup copy you would want to use the most recent copy. I periodically delete all but the most recent 2 or 3.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    I in fact never keep any of the backups, don’t let LR even build em. Kind of useless IMHO when there’s so much more that needs to be backed up (like images, presets, etc). Instead I dedicate a drive to all images and LR files, then clone that on a regular basis to multiple drives. I get the catalog and everything else backed up which seems far more useful.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    While I agree with your process, I have met a lot of folks who have found having a recent backup catalog on hand to be very useful if their working catalog gets corrupted/hosed and their full system backup hasn't updated as recently as the last backup catalog. Since it is automated, easy and free, I still think it is worthwhile. Especially if you are not religiously backing up your entire system, which in my experience, most people aren't as consistent in this area as they'd like to be. :)
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    RobSylvan wrote: »
    Since it is automated, easy and free, I still think it is worthwhile.

It can be free and automated (Carbon Copy Cloner at least on the Mac). I’m sure on Windows there’s something similar.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    My catalog backups are already almost a gigabyte each, I can't let those fill up a disk. I regularly go through and delete several.
    But I don't blindly delete from the oldest up. I delete alternating catalogs so I have backups over a longer time period.
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    This is very helpful information! I did have a corrupt file in Lightroom and I lost all my edits on a wedding. Even after reloading an old Catalog the file was still corrupt!! I backup everything at least 3 times, I am too afraid I will lose pictures. Hardrives are cheap but if I continue to fill them up as quickly as I have lately it will become very expensive. I think I will start deleting the old catalogs, I like Colourboxes idea of alternating backups.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    I only keep one backup catalog in my Dropbox folder and have it set up to do it once a week. The main reason I keep the old one is that it is faster to restore often then having to restore from a backup. But if you are doing a good reliable backup you might not need to keep any at all. The key is to think about your backup strategy and see where the holes in it are. I am in the process of doing that right now.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    I keep about the last five catalog backups and that's all. The point of the catalog backups to me is that if you suddenly find a problem with the LR database, you can go back to one of the backups, but as long as your catalog has been working fine for awhile, I see no reason why you'd need an old catalog backup.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question