Options

Insurance?

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited October 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Need to get some for my equipment. The list is getting long and the money is getting deep. What do you guys use to insure your equipment against theft and possibly damage? Like what if I have one of those moments and knock my tripod over with my D3s mounted on it into a creek?

Or do you guys just keep fingers crossed and not think about it, sort of like I do now?

Comments

• Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    We are in the process of changing all our ins over to State Farm and I asked our new agent about some insurance for my photography gear as I have been buying a few upgrades here and there. (new body and few lenses). They have a policy that will cost me about $80.00 per year for about $4,000 coverage on gear.
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    hawaiiskihawaiiski Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    After someone broke into my house & stole $4,000 worth of my equipment, I now have renter's insurance through Allstate. I'm not sure about accidental coverage, but I'm covered even if someone steals it outside my home. I pay about $90 per year. You must specify that you have specific items of a certain value when signing up for the coverage.
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Depends: Are you doing this as a business or as a hobby?

If you're doing this as a business, then you want business insurance. Nothing against State Farm, Allstate, etc... but they don't specialize in providing business level photography insurance. They don't deal with everything a professional photographer encounters (or could encounter) on a shoot. If you cover your equipment on your homeowner's policy, you could be asking for trouble. What if something happens to your equipment and you make a claim? What if after that big storm does damage to your roof and you file a claim with your insurance and they say... "Well, remember that claim you filed for theft of camera equipment? Well, your premium just went up!"

What about if someone on one of your shoots trips over your lighting setup and knocks everything over and damages the venue's property? You homeowner insurance isn't going to cover that.

Let me state that I no longer run a photography business, so I no longer have photography insurance (I don't have $500/yr for insurance right now), so... do as I say, but not as I do. :D

Contact Hill and Usher and speak to Richard Reyes and tell him that I sent you. :)
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Just piggybacking on what Neal wrote. The issue really is: most homeowners or personal articles policies won't cover your gear if it's being used in a professional capacity. It's not that there aren't policies that protect the hobbyist from anything - a State Farm personal articles policy does great at that - but it won't cover you if you're in business. Then you need much more expensive coverages which also include liability insurance (something these homeowners / personal articles policies won't do).
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I looked at the Hill and Usher site. Those guys look like a potential option for me and they sound like they know whats up for photography. I will have to give them a call to find out more. My agent has been so vague about this whole thing that I think I might just need a new insurance agent period.

The big problem is $$. Just starting out pay sucks and paying gigs are far between. Coughing up $500 a year is not something I look forward to. But homeowners doesn't sound the best either. I am guessing I am up to $15,000ish in gear now? It would suck to get denied coverage when you think you are covered.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    .... I am guessing I am up to $15,000ish in gear now? It would suck to get denied coverage when you think you are covered.

So would losing $15,000 because you don't have a $500 insurance policy. :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Hill and Usher or Marsh thru PPA........be wary of any NON Business insurance even if just a hobbyist.....when the agen or home office sees a list of potential PRO equiptment they will take your money but if you have a claim...it could be one hard updill battle to get payment...just because it was what they deem PRO equipment.......
    Marsh also includes and indemity policy, just incase someone wants to sue just because they do not like the pix for whatever reason.....they also offer personal liability insurance which is omething all pros should have if they shoot people for any reason or shoot around people for any reason.....drop a cam or mono or tripod or bag on someone and see how quick until the lawyers are calling for a settlement............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    Great advise guys. I contacted Hill and Usher today to get the ball rolling. It really sounds like what I need. Drop the camera, get it stollen, have some crazy bride sue your ass.....you name it, covered. Sounds like good peace of mind for a guy that takes his camera on a dirtbike ride. Will update when I get it sorted.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    Update. Went with Hill and Usher. It was a scary moment when I totalled up all my gear. Freeballin was a dangerous game. The policy will have me covered for most everything and the cool part is it isn't a horrible price. Especially when you factor in that you can pay quartrly. Thanks for the advise guys.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Will probably bring the howls of protest but I haven't had my gear insured ever and with the exception of a cheap lens that fell out of my camera bag when I first started off, I've never lost a thing.

From time to time I have looked at insurance and here it's been ridiculous premiums. Clearly they don't want the business so i don't give it to them. Pretty much here, if you keep your gear for 4 years your in front.
    For that reason, I don't bother with it.
    If I lived in the US or somewhere else that was as litigation happy I might have it in addition to public liability just to cover my butt better, but here the chances of getting sued appear much less likley.

For me the best insurance is being very careful and that seems to have paid off.
    People I do know that have been insured and made a claim on gear have always gone through a minefield to get their money and many never did.
    Like mentioned, they will always take your money even if you have made a glaring error but will only point that out as an excuse not to pay you.

An uncle worked in the insurance industry years ago and always said, the first thing an insurance company does when they get a claim is to start looking for reasons NOT to pay you.
    For some reason people think they are there to give money away.

For those that sweat these things having insurance would be worth it if it means you sleep better at night. It's not something I stress about because even if I loose all my gear tomorrow, I would be still miles ahead to replace it myself than having paid insurance claims for the last 4 years.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    4 years of premiums for me will be $2000. My gear list totaled up to just under $20,000. Soooooooo that math doesn't work for me. And doesn't for most with that much equipment. But if you just have 1 midrange body and a few lenses, I see your point.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Another option is to buy Special personal or scheduled property packages additionally with your home insurance.
    [mod edit: spam link removed]

Since this is your first post, I'll take pity on you. Please go back and re-read the whole thread. :)