Options

Customers "marking" a photo for me?

rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited October 19, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have a package that lets customers pick 3 photos.

Is there a way to let them flag those in the galleries, that I can find them easily later?

Right now, I'm waiting for them to send me a full link, or the position # that the picture appears in, but this seems to be challenging for some of my less technical users to understand :)

My previous host let them mark shots as "favorites" and I could see which shots were marked as favorites per gallery - it was good enough.

Anything similar?

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Hi Paul. It might be easier if you enable comments in the gallery and then tell your client to post a comment on the photo they want in their package. Have you tried using the built in package feature on your SmugMug site? For more information, check it out here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-packages

You may also want to take a peek at our Event Marketing feature. It can help you set up a nice and neat way for your customers to purchase photos from events. Check it out on this help page (link below).
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Hi Paul. It might be easier if you enable comments in the gallery and then tell your client to post a comment on the photo they want in their package. Have you tried using the built in package feature on your SmugMug site? For more information, check it out here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-packages

You may also want to take a peek at our Event Marketing feature. It can help you set up a nice and neat way for your customers to purchase photos from events. Check it out on this help page (link below).

My package is for 3 downloads ... doesn't appear I can create a package to include free downloads? I'd LOVE to be able to create a package to allow them to download specific resolutions!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010

So I tried to setup an Event for the future - created it and got it's URL. I had no galleries.

Then, I tried to add a gallery as a test - and when I hit Save, it's telling me that there is already an event by that name, and won't save.

Can't I add galleries without changing the URL? That doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    rt2photo wrote: »
    So I tried to setup an Event for the future - created it and got it's URL. I had no galleries.

Then, I tried to add a gallery as a test - and when I hit Save, it's telling me that there is already an event by that name, and won't save.

Can't I add galleries without changing the URL? That doesn't seem right.
    I'm sure we can fix you up :D Please write our Support Heroes and let us work with you from the desk, thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm sure we can fix you up :D Please write our Support Heroes and let us work with you from the desk, thanks!

I just tried it from another system, and it works ... odd.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    I guess I'm still trying to capture my customers interactions with their galleries a little better ...

If I enable the thumbs up/down feature - is that data I can see? How many thumbs up a shot has? Or is that purely for Smugmug popularity rankings? (if so, it's not much use to me)
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010

I wish smugmug would implement the favorites feature in every gallery, not just events. Guests would have the option of creating an account by entering their email address (just like events), and then they could keep lists of favorites and easily communicate with the site owner. Facebook connect could be an alternative to an email address.

The events feature is nice, but I'm not an "event photographer." Even when I have something that would qualify as an event, chances are it's only one gallery. The events feature just adds unnecessary layers to the user's experience, unless there really are multiple event galleries. I think of the events feature as basically being a sharegroup with some extra features. I'd like to be able to use those features without the sharegroup.

Dave
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I wish smugmug would implement the favorites feature in every gallery, not just events. Guests would have the option of creating an account by entering their email address (just like events), and then they could keep lists of favorites and easily communicate with the site owner. Facebook connect could be an alternative to an email address.

The events feature is nice, but I'm not an "event photographer." Even when I have something that would qualify as an event, chances are it's only one gallery. The events feature just adds unnecessary layers to the user's experience, unless there really are multiple event galleries. I think of the events feature as basically being a sharegroup with some extra features. I'd like to be able to use those features without the sharegroup.

Dave

I was just digging through the Events features, and thought this exact same thing - I don't shoot "events" - I just have one gallery from one show, hardly a big deal, and not worth complicating the experience even more.

I'd love for my users to have the ability to register themselves and mark favorites. Facebook connect seems it would make this experience painless too.

Comments works for my purposes, but it's not really very neat.
    Popularity (I found the \popularity page) isn't worth anything to me, so it's off.
  • Options
    scott852scott852 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2010
    Totally Agree!
    I was just digging through the Events features, and thought this exact same thing - I don't shoot "events" - I just have one gallery from one show, hardly a big deal, and not worth complicating the experience even more.

I'd love for my users to have the ability to register themselves and mark favorites. Facebook connect seems it would make this experience painless too.

Comments works for my purposes, but it's not really very neat.
    Popularity (I found the \popularity page) isn't worth anything to me, so it's off.

I would love people to be able to favorite their photos without having to use events too.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    scott852 wrote: »
    I would love people to be able to favorite their photos without having to use events too.
    Hmm...I am an event photographer, and I can see this being handy as well. thumb.gif

With the hundreds of events I cover each year and each event only having one gallery, the current event feature adds the overhead of the sharegroups which is not needed. I know my users definitely would start marking photos as favorites if there was an easy way to do it. And I know it would lead to more sales. clap.gif

Someone want to post this up on uservoice.smugmug.com?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2010
    I would love to, but that location doesn't seem to exist?
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    I would love to, but that location doesn't seem to exist?
    Oh sorry, they changed the url. Try this one: feedback.smugmug.com
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!