OK, here goes; First senior photos

CdorothyCdorothy Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited October 15, 2010 in People
I had fun and they both had fun. They are happy with them but I would like to know what I could do for future (?) photos. Thanks, Chris
1.1012318687_EdZxb-L-2.jpg
2.1012318959_8HEhE-L-2.jpg
3.1046899714_vFY2j-L.jpg
4.1012319568_WarUF-L-2.jpg
5.1012320192_6LjFJ-L-2.jpg
6.1012320437_N4yVc-L-2.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    You did a nice job here for the first senior shoot.
    I would take time to consider the backgrounds for future shoots.
    Watch for bright spots that can distract from the subject as well as any other objects.
    On #1 for instance, I find the white strip on camera left to be distracking and the black right next to it washes in with her hair.
    Number 2 and 3 I find to be just a wee bit over processed for my taste though I know that's popular option for some.
    Number 4 and 5 the compositions could be better.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • woytekwoytek Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Cdorothy wrote: »
    I had fun and they both had fun. They are happy with them but I would like to know what I could do for future (?) photos. Thanks, Chris

Hi! These are both pretty girls. I agree, though, that the white strip in #1 is a little distracting. I know it's a door or frame part or something, but it is at such contrast to the rest of the frame that it catches my eye immediately.

I'm not a huge fan of the face-chopped-in-half shot in #2, but I know some are into that sort of thing. I think that the skin processing might be a bit heavy, but the lighting on the face is great.

I'm a huge fan of #3. The framing, pose, and lighting I think work well together. He face has great dimension, and you got her eyes to pop nicely. She has pretty eyes that deserve some pop, and with the way the rest of that shot is lit, my eyes go *straight* for her eyes. Nice.

I like the some of the lighting in #4, but not the vignette. With the already-dingy sky (which isn't terrible by itself), I don't like what the vignette does to the feel of the photo. Again, pretty girl in a pretty pose.

#5 is a great pose, but you're burning my retinas out with the candy-yellow mini-sunflowers. I think that detracts a little bit from the pretty girl in the frame. That might be an argument for just a *little* desaturation to tone those down a bit, though I still like them as part of the shot. It's a little too bad she didn't have a blue top to go along with that field of yellow.

#6 is probably my favorite of that girl. I think I wish it was straight-up B&W instead of a toned image, but the pose and monochromatic treatment work well. If I had caught it during the shot (which I don't always do), I might have asked her to turn just slightly towards me, or moved myself so that I caught the shot with her not quite so turned away from me.

Please keep in mind that these are comments from someone who is still very much in the learning stage. I give myself the same sort of feedback when I look back at a shoot that I did for someone else.

jonathan
  • CdorothyCdorothy Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Thank you Rey and Jonathan for your time and comments. I really appreciate what you have to point out. I want to keep improving. A year ago I wouldn't have even attempted to do this. Some probably think I shouldn't have but I guess that's how to learn...by doing. Sometimes I think I'll never remember everything I need to remember......
    There are so many awesome photographers on this forum I waited a long time to even post the shots. It's scary to put yourself out there. Thanks for the help.
    Chris
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    #3 is easily my favorite. Nice work on that one.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    No 3 lighting is what we all strive for. In a shaded spot with possibly an overhang. Great shading on the face with the sky adding some kicker to her hair. A little too much into her shoulder but viewing a photo is just a personal choice unless you are enterning into competition. Add a little cresent to her irsis in the lower right corner and her eyes would really pop.

In 4 & 5 look past your subject. Remember bright areas come forward to your eye first. That is a distraction. A totally tree bkg and sunflower bkg would have more impact. Over all a very nice selection.
    edited October 14, 2010
    ows4428 wrote: »
    #3 is easily my favorite. Nice work on that one.
    Thanks and thank you for looking.
    Chris
    edited October 14, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    No 3 lighting is what we all strive for. In a shaded spot with possibly an overhang. Great shading on the face with the sky adding some kicker to her hair. A little too much into her shoulder but viewing a photo is just a personal choice unless you are enterning into competition. Add a little cresent to her irsis in the lower right corner and her eyes would really pop.

In 4 & 5 look past your subject. Remember bright areas come forward to your eye first. That is a distraction. A totally tree bkg and sunflower bkg would have more impact. Over all a very nice selection.

Thank you Hackbone for looking and your comments. I know you are so right about the backgrounds. I am curious about adding a crescent to her eyes. How would I do that?
    Thanks again, Chris
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    I use the dodge tool and set the range to midtones and uncheck protect tones then just swipe the crescent into the irsis. It really opens the eyes and makes them sparkle.

1048907219_NMWy3-XL.jpg
    edited October 15, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I use the dodge tool and set the range to midtones and uncheck protect tones then just swipe the crescent into the irsis. It really opens the eyes and makes them sparkle.

1048907219_NMWy3-XL.jpg
    Holy cow! That's beautiful!
    Thanks for the tip,
    Chris
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Ah, nice simple but effective technique....bravo!
    Yo soy Reynaldo