Well pulled the trigger D7000

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited October 16, 2010 in Cameras
Well at least preordered from my local shop. My D300 is dying and needs to go for service. Using my D50 as back up. Wanted to wait for the D300 replacement but it looks like that will be a while yet. It should be good improvement given what they have offered in the D7000 specs.
The waiting begins.:hide
D300 AF is getting inaccurate and it is having trouble with shutter control not shutter itself:scratch it has over 110000 actuations
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    ...The waiting begins.:hide ...

Congrats - Specs look awesome. I look forward to your feedback once in hand. I'm waiting to feel one before commiting to the 60D or D7000. thumb.gif
  • shawngsshawngs Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Looks like a great camera and there's even an online tutorial on how to use it...
    I'm trying to decide if I should make the jump from my d90 or hold out for the d800.
  • HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    I played with D7000 for about an hour today. It looks and feels just like a D90. I was sold on the D90's specs and build and was going to buy one until I handled one. I did not even consider a Canon. Construction is very good. The only problem is I just don't have D90 hands. The D7000's specs are even more impressive. However, my fingers do not wrap around comfortably, and my thumb and trigger-finger to not fall into place with the controls on the D7000. My fingers and hands started to sweat as well.

On paper the D7000 looks to beat the 60D in most respects but for me ergonomically the 60D is so much better. I really like the D7000 and have tried to convince myself that it is the camera to buy but I just cannot. In reality IQ, weight, size, FPS, ISO and AF are almost the same for the D7000 vs 60D.

For me the 60D is the perfect fit. The 550D was too small, the 50D too big and the 7D's thumb ridge too pronounced plus too big yet every one of them fitted me better than the D7000. Pity.

I do not own any Nikon or Canon equipment so I have no dog in this race - I just want the best DSLR for me.

...best of luck with your D7000 thumb.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    I love the feel of the D300 it fits me very well. I have a D50 which is a bit smaller but I can work with it. The D60 was way too small and the D90 was not that bad. I am going with the D7000 because it is here and I need a camera.
    The bulk of my favorite shooting is coming up.

Even if I send in my D300 for repair it will be a while before I get it back.I will probably get a D400 or what ever it will be called when it comes out. I am sure they will expand on its ISO performance which is what I really want but cannot justify a D3s
    With the specs on the D7000 being what they are they will have to do a bit better on the D300 replacement. I will probably get the D300 repaired it is a great camera and I love the ergonomics of it. I am also invested in all the batteries and compact flash.
    Another thought is I might just love the D7000 I wont buy a new D400 and pick up a used D700 when its replacement comes out.

So many scenarios you can consider. Bottom line I need a camera and if I am going to put out the funds I might as well go with the most advance specs offered for now.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/