Options

Photo Organizing

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited October 17, 2010 in Finishing School
What program do you use (and why) to do quick organizing and a quick preview of your shots when you initially upload them from the camera to the computer? I'm looking for something like Picasa, but not Picasa itself as it's creating too many problems while importing CR2 files.

Did I mention the program needs to be cheap? (i.e., free)

Blessings
Jerry
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I dl'ed the RAW native plugin for windows 7 and look through my pictures with regular ol' photo viewer before importing into CS3.
    For organizing, I always create new folders per project all dated (YY-MM-DD) so they stay in numerical order and are super easy to organize later.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Fast Picture Viewer.

It's not free but it's very reasonably priced. It's excellent, fully color managed, and, of course, fast ;-)

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Did your camera come with a "utility" CD/DVD typically it will have some tools for this exact function. At work I use the Windows viewer as previously mentioned, at home it is Lightroom which does not meet the $$$ target.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I use Adobe Camera Raw. It's a free plugin for Photoshop if you have that, but if you don't, you can get and older version like CS2 for cheap. Then you can download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw. I find that Photoshop CS2 + Camera Raw works fine for editing, rating(1-5 stars), and converting my CR2 files.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I'm curious what probs you're having with Picasa+CR2? I use it with no problems at all (7d). The files are huge, but that's true no matter which program I use..........
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    I'm curious what probs you're having with Picasa+CR2? I use it with no problems at all (7d). The files are huge, but that's true no matter which program I use..........

Up till a couple weeks ago, I didn't have an problems Picasa either. Imported JPG and CR2 just fine. Then I noticed that it was "automatically" converting all my CR2 images into JPG during the import. I didn't change anything on the computer during this time frame either.

Thanks
    Jerry
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Up till a couple weeks ago, I didn't have an problems Picasa either. Imported JPG and CR2 just fine. Then I noticed that it was "automatically" converting all my CR2 images into JPG during the import. I didn't change anything on the computer during this time frame either.

Thanks
    Jerry

Really????? I've never had that happen.

HOWEVER.. I have noticed that occasionally (like, after I've had a crash) Picasa will reset some things to the defaults even though that's not how I had it set up (in my case it's usually the "scan once" vs "scan always" setting). I'd triple check your settings to ensure that something hasn't inadvertently changed somewhere.

Yeah, those are glitches, but for free it's still a great tool and I find it often faster than LR for doing imports and quickie scans/editing.

ETA: Also, are you shooting cr2+jpg? And if so, is it showing the files side-by-side, or grouping each type together? Just trying to think of ways it could be doing what you're describing (especially in case it ever does the same to me!)
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    I use Adobe Camera Raw. It's a free plugin for Photoshop if you have that, but if you don't, you can get and older version like CS2 for cheap. Then you can download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw. I find that Photoshop CS2 + Camera Raw works fine for editing, rating(1-5 stars), and converting my CR2 files.
    You have to be aware, that ACR for CS2 won't support newer cams. The latest version for CS2 is ACR V3.7, which does not support cams later than f.e. Canon's 30D.
    ACR is not a file-/image organizer, not even working as a previewer.
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    What program do you use (and why) to do quick organizing and a quick preview of your shots when you initially upload them from the camera to the computer? I'm looking for something like Picasa, but not Picasa itself as it's creating too many problems while importing CR2 files.

Did I mention the program needs to be cheap? (i.e., free)

Blessings
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
    I use severall programs. IMatch as an image organizer and database (indexing and keywording) and Dopus as a filemanager / explorer replacement. Aside many other nice features, the later allows me to view and organize almost any image types (RAW, DNG, PSD and of course all the others, like JPEG, TIFF etc.) as thumbnails and preview without the need for installing additional plug-ins. See the different RAW/DNG types in the attachement.