New Model - Bailey

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 15, 2010 in People
Finally got someone new to shoot. This is Bailey Rae. Had a lot of fun but I learned how tough it is to shoot little ones, although she did follow directions pretty well for an "I will be 3 in just a few months" girl. That is what she says when you ask her age.

Here are few of my favorites.... Love to hear what you guys think since I am still working on my lighting skills and this is really a first as far as child portraits go.

1047873802_5rfby-X2.jpg

1047876272_SrTD7-X2.jpg

1047879476_pMts2-XL.jpg

1047877740_xrUxk-XL.jpg

1047877495_MUsWA-X2.jpg

And here are a few outtakes that me LOL... I asked her to do whatever she wanted:

1048361420_tZ2Ed-XL.jpg

1047878232_DeqrY-XL.jpg

1047874313_Z4qEK-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    The lighting looks great to me. #1 is probably my favorite.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Thanks... yeah, #1 is one of my favs. I love #3 too... and #4... she just too darn cute.

I completely forgot to shoot my gray card so I manually adjusted skin tones. Noticed #1 is a little more red than the others. Have to work on that.

My Smug Site
  • ChaKiraChaKira Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I love 3 & 5 :)
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

Megan Amelia Photography
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Can she come home with me??

She's precious!!!

It looks like you nailed the lighting, too!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Can she come home with me??

She's precious!!!

It looks like you nailed the lighting, too!

Thanks Madison. She really is cute. It was so funny... each time I took a shot, she made me show her the LCD. Made a little difficult but I had so much fun shooting her. I told her mom that she's a natural. I kind of just let her do what she wanted. Figured she'd get less bored with me if I did. Only direction I had to give her to stay kind of in the same area.

Question... #1... I cut off her right hand a little. Is that bothersome? I think it looks fine but I wanted another opinion. I tried cropping it different ways but what I like most of the shot is her little hand resting on her knee. Any tighter and I cut off the other hand which is worse I think.

My Smug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Told you high key is the way to go for a kwikie, esp. with kids mwink.gifrofl
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Wow, these are great...the lighting is fine and your little model adorable!
    It's hard to pick a fave they're all so good but #2 & 3 are so dang cute!

So did you use one or two lights for the backdrop?

I can see you used one to light her up.

My next studio shoot I will try this too....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Cute! You did a great job. What was your lighting scenario?
    edited October 14, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Told you high key is the way to go for a kwikie, esp. with kids mwink.gifrofl

Yes... thank you Nik. It was a lot simply going high key, especially with a child that moves a lot. Not worried as much on where they are positioned in relation to the light sources. Also, much more fresh and fun feel that works well with children.

BTW, this wasn't for the fun raiser. That's coming up a week from tomorrow. However, this was good practice.

My Smug Site
    edited October 14, 2010
    Bsimon wrote: »
    Wow these are great!thumb.gif

Thank you. clap.gif

My Smug Site
    edited October 14, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Wow, these are great...the lighting is fine and your little model adorable!
    It's hard to pick a fave they're all so good but #2 & 3 are so dang cute!

So did you use one or two lights for the backdrop?

I can see you used one to light her up.

My next studio shoot I will try this too....

Thanks Rey.

Thank you.

This wasn't the typical 3-light high key setup since I only have two strobes. What I did was setup my key light just to camera left, at roughly 6' high pointing down just above her head so I get some light on the BG but also a lot on her. I then setup my other light on camera right, maybe 3 feet and closer to the BG... just slightly in front of her. I had this light at about 4 feet high, pointing at the BG but so that I get a kiss of fill light. You don't see both catchlights in her eyes because I shopped the fill ones out.

Worked out pretty well I guess. At times, she'd move pretty close to the BG so it reflected light back giving some "rim" action. I did very little post to these. Some sharpening and I had to clone out a seam in the background; I used to whiteboard panels butted together. I also adjusted for skin tone.

Here are a few more of my favs:

Does this pose work? Took it while she got up to come look at the LCD. She was saying something to me, don't quite remember now. I think I may do a composite with this:
    1047891440_PwA52-L.jpg

Comp check on this one... is it cool where I gut her legs off?
    1048329003_ukFG6-X2.jpg

Love this one.. you can see her long lashes. So cute.
    1048292377_KxcWE-XL.jpg

Had to show you guys this one. This is her worried look that she showed me while telling me a story:
    1048328078_4LPNi-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited October 14, 2010
    Cute! You did a great job. What was your lighting scenario?

Thanks Caroline. See post above for lighting setup.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    This child is beyond cute and is WORKING IT. Is she planning a career on film?! rolleyes1.gif

Oh yeah, and the lighting looks good too :D
    edited October 15, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    This child is beyond cute and is WORKING IT. Is she planning a career on film?! rolleyes1.gif

Oh yeah, and the lighting looks good too :D

Thank you Diva. I told her mom that she should think about doing just that. You really have to meet her... she so tiny but has so much attitude.

My Smug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Thanks Rey.

Thank you.

This wasn't the typical 3-light high key setup since I only have two strobes. What I did was setup my key light just to camera left, at roughly 6' high pointing down just above her head so I get some light on the BG but also a lot on her. I then setup my other light on camera right, maybe 3 feet and closer to the BG... just slightly in front of her. I had this light at about 4 feet high, pointing at the BG but so that I get a kiss of fill light. You don't see both catchlights in her eyes because I shopped the fill ones out.

Worked out pretty well I guess. At times, she'd move pretty close to the BG so it reflected light back giving some "rim" action. I did very little post to these. Some sharpening and I had to clone out a seam in the background; I used to whiteboard panels butted together. I also adjusted for skin tone.

Here are a few more of my favs:

Does this pose work? Took it while she got up to come look at the LCD. She was saying something to me, don't quite remember now. I think I may do a composite with this:
    1047891440_PwA52-L.jpg

Comp check on this one... is it cool where I gut her legs off?
    1048329003_ukFG6-X2.jpg

Love this one.. you can see her long lashes. So cute.
    1048292377_KxcWE-XL.jpg

Had to show you guys this one. This is her worried look that she showed me while telling me a story:
    1048328078_4LPNi-X2.jpg

Ha ha, the first one is super cute, great spirit she has....

The second one I think the crop is fine since her legs are crossed and not laying flat next to each other.

She's quite the little character and that last one...oy ny gosh, what a little actress ;-)

I'm impressed with how you managed the lighting with the two you have and I'm inspired to try and get results as great as you did.

Thank you :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo