Advice Please

NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited October 14, 2010 in People
I'm trying to learn how to better photograph people. I took this one recently and would like advice on how to make it better. So C&C, please!

The photo is not a crop...I really did get in that close, zoomed out to 85mm. It was taken in a covered porch with no flash and definitely not posed. I did not mess with the color or anything in PP.

1047993660_erFxt-L.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    it's well framed and light across the face adds some drama thought he shine on the nose is unfortunate. This kind of shot is screaming for some good post processing though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I like the way you composed the shot, sir. If i may comment, using post processing i'd probably add some more additional lighting effect on the upper to middle part on the right side of the picture to lessen the effect of the shadows on the subject's face. If it is also allowed, i'd probably burn the left side of the image so that the attention would be on the light falling off the child's face. A light bokeh would be nice so that the main focused part of the image would be the child's eyes and nose only. I am also wondering this shot would really be great on a b&w variation. JMO sir. Definitely a lot of potential for post processing for me. :)
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. PP is not a strong point of mine. It's a skill that I need to work on. Badly. Not only am I not so good at it, but I have a hard time picturing what can be done. IMHO, the best post processing is when you don't even realize that the photo was edited. :-)