Disney World: The sun sets on a Friendship

WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
edited October 17, 2010 in Landscapes
These are some of my favorite shots of my recent annual trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL.

The boat is one of a fleet called the Friendship Launches, which cross the waterways in and around Epcot. I was shooting sunset pics from a pedestrian bridge when Frienship IV passed beneath me, and I was able to line up 4 shots before it got too far away for a good composition.

My fave is #2, but I welcome C&C.

th2010-10-03_133.jpg

th2010-10-03_134.jpg

th2010-10-03_135.jpg

th2010-10-03_136.jpg
What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 15, 2010
    They're all good. Also, it puts me in the mood for WDW. We are arriving there Oct 30...
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Hey Will,

Very nice shots....of a very familiar scene. As a Florida resident, I get a great deal on a year-long pass to WDW. I pretty much limit myself to Epcot....get there 3 or 4 times a year. My favorite country to dine at is Canada....but there are other good ones, as I'm sure you know.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    Hey Will,

Very nice shots....of a very familiar scene. As a Florida resident, I get a great deal on a year-long pass to WDW. I pretty much limit myself to Epcot....get there 3 or 4 times a year. My favorite country to dine at is Canada....but there are other good ones, as I'm sure you know.

Tom

I've eaten at Le Cellier once. I enjoyed it, and the steak was very good, but frankly, I've gotten better steaks at Longhorn for half the price.

My favorite used to be Akershaus in Norway, but it's now all-princess, all the time, and I would just feel odd dining solo in a princess meal.

Currently, my favorite in World Showcase is Biergarten in Germany. Excellent food, great atmosphere, and the Bavarian cheescake is awesome.

But my favorite place to dine in all of WDW is 'Ohana, in the Polynesian resort. It has fabulous food, and plenty of it, coupled with a relaxed, island atmosphere and some nice live entertainment.
    th2010-10-02_222.jpg
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    I agree that dinning at the German pavilion is a wonderful experience.

That O'Hana place sounds interesting. I'll make an effort to get to it. When I'm in Orlando I always stay with friends...I seldom venture out to other parts of the resort for meals as I never stay at any of the various resorts for lodging.

BTW, if you haven't done so, you must experience the attraction called " Soaring " within Epcot.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    I agree that dinning at the German pavilion is a wonderful experience.

That O'Hana place sounds interesting. I'll make an effort to get to it. When I'm in Orlando I always stay with friends...I seldom venture out to other parts of the resort for meals as I never stay at any of the various resorts for lodging.

BTW, if you haven't done so, you must experience the attraction called " Soaring " within Epcot.

Tom

'Ohana is my mostest favoritest place to eat anywhere at WDW. It's what Disney calls "Family-style", which means fixed menu, all-you-can-eat, but they bring it all to you, so no trips to a buffet. But it's tough to get into the place; reservations go fast, and it's nearly impossible to get in as a walk-up.

The meal starts with some Hawaiian bread, then proceeds to a salad with a delish honey-lime dressing. Then come the appetizers - pork dumplings and honey-coriander chicken wings. Next, they bring out some stir-fried broccoli and snow peas. Then comes the main coarse: open-pit grilled steak, turkey, pork, and jumbo shrimp. Along with the meats come 3 dipping sauces, but be sure to ask for those sauces as soon as you sit down, because they go even better with the bread than they do with the meat. Finally, just when you think you can't possibly eat another bite without exploding, they bring out dessert - banana bread pudding with vanilla ice cream, topped with a warm bananas foster sauce. It IS possible to eat yourself to death at 'Ohana.

I have been on Soarin' many times, and hope to go on it many , many more. It's the best attraction at Epcot, and one of the best at WDW.

Be sure to do some resort hopping on your next trip. The various resorts are beautiful places, and there are a lot of great photo ops to be had in them, not to mention the fabulous dining options. The best of the restaurants are actually in the resorts; those in the parks, except for those in World Showcase, pale in comparison.

Besides 'Ohana, there is also Boma, Flavors of Africa, in the Animal Kingdom Lodge; Trail's End Buffeteria at Ft Wilderness campground (nothing fancy but great quality and the cheapest buffet at WDW); and several very good character meals. Then there are the really fancy, expensive places that I tend to avoid, like Citricos in the Grand Floridian, and the California Grill in the Contemporary (which is on the 15th floor and offers unequaled views of the Magic Kingdom fireworks).

If you're ever at WDW during December, go to Ft Wilderness campground and just wander around; campers decorate their RVs and sites so much, they compete with Disney's Osborne Family Lights at the Disney Studios!