Options

some quick advice needed for tomorrow..

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 17, 2010 in Weddings
This is a teeny wedding, 3 weeks from engagement to wedding day. When the ceremony ends, 5:30 I will have a short amount of sunlight for some outdoor shots. Then we head to a restaurant's patio where I shoot the cake and maybe more B&G.

I plan to use my d700 and 2 lenses that day, my new 24-70 and old faithful 50mm1.4 . Also bringing sb800, a reflector and my hubby. I could use some advice on making the best use of my 24-70, and input on how you would handle the outdoor shoot as the sun sets and the transition to darker evening shots and onto the outdoor patio. I have never done sunsets, or those cool shots of the sun flaring out between the couple. I expect the patio will have some twinkle lights.

I won't be covering the dinner, so my time with the 2 of them is a bit short. There is to be champagne served at the church right after the vows... hehe I said you get about 5 minutes to do that , then out the door! I'll have plenty of time for the Bride before the wedding.

Thanks everyone in advance. I am so excited now that I am feeling so much better! Let's hope my images show an improvement !
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    My advice...

Simply relax and let the wedding come to you. Your photography and compositional skills are solid....at least from what Ive seen...so why would you want to strike out on something brand new during a quick wedding. Do what you already do ...just make sure that everything that happens during those few hours is well documented through photographs! :D

This will be a cinch for you!thumb.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Ahhhh I am taking a deep breath, you are right! I need to document what is happening without injecting myself too much. Thank you I needed that! :D:D:D And thanks for the vote of confidence!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Hope it went well. Post some pics!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    just remember the simple rules, if the backround is too dark drop your shutter, if the area that the flash is hitting is too dark, drop your aperture. Once you have your hubby holding a stand with your flash and umbrella over (and slightly in front) of your subjects and the flash power/aperture (foreground) set, the only thing you need to do as the sun goes down is keep droping that shutter speed.
    I'd have a tripod handy in case your still shooting as it gets really dark though, the flash will freeze the foreground for you and the slower shutter on the tripod will allow you to get sharp background with beautiful blues from the sky (that's just after sunset).
    I'm talking about the portraits that is.

The rest is just yo relaxing as said above.
    Get the shots you need first and then if theirs time, have fun and experiment!

goodluck!

Lara Luz
    www.laraluz.com

*EDIT: just had a look at the date on this, sorry, bit late to the table here.