Need Some Feedback

Vinnie33Vinnie33 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited October 16, 2010 in People
I usually only shot sports but a friend of mine ask me to get a couple of portraits of his daughter for her senior picture.

I just threw a background up and shot in my living room with a Nikon D3s with a 24-70 f/2.8 and a Nikon SB-900 on camera.

Please I welcome all feedback and criticism. Anything that will make me better is appreciated.

Thank you.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Vinnie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Vinnie

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Vinnie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]1049345395_nTozc-L.jpg
1049344998_eCqPS-L.jpg

1049345187_M5d7m-L.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Everything looks great but the lighting. Ligthing is really flat. Take that SB-900 off the camera, set it to either side and use a reflector (foam core, white sheet, car windshield shade) for fill. You'll need a sync cord since you D3 doesn't have on-board flash.

BTW, white's are a little blown in cap and gown.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Vinnie33Vinnie33 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Thanks. I would have but don't have sync cord!
    I did this with an hours notice. First time shooting a portrait.

Will the white reflector get rid of that shadow under her chin?
    Driving me nuts
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Yep, light needs some work. You can keep the flash on-camera if you want/need to if you bounce off a wall or large white sheet held by a helper. This sheet/wall will act as a very nice light modifier - will soften the contrast edges a bit (that's what you want/need). Then, put a reflector on the other side of her and you will greatly improve the shots.

If you bounce and have a decent reflector, you won't get that awful shadow under the chin. The shadows you will get (and you do want shadows as they help give depth to the portrait).
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Ah yes, there is no on board flash to trigger wirelessly on the D3.
    For what you had these came out decent.
    I would whiten her teeth on the first one a bit, the other two are already there
    Good work
    Grab a sync cord before the next shoot and you'll get better results
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 15, 2010
    Would putting the reflector under neath her be able to bounce upwards or is it better to have to the side?
    I have ordered the ProFoto D1a to help out with the lighting. I really have no clue when it comes to lighting.
    I mostly shoot outdoor sports.
    Thanks for all the help. It is appreciated and nice to come to a place and learn from great people.
    Vinnie
  • kelvinkelvin Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Cowboystudio.com speedlight softbox and wireless flash trigger, both through Amazon for under $60
    edited October 16, 2010
    Thanks
    I will check them out.