When Luxury Was The Ultimate Quest

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited October 18, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Mercedes-Benz, several years ago, brought back to the market a line of cars that hearkened back, to days gone by, of extreme luxury in automobiles. They resurrected the name of Maybach for these cars. The current versions sell in the $350,00 to $450,000 range and represent, in many eyes, the pinnacle offering in prestigious automobiles.

The car you see here is one of the original Maybachs, which were produced from 1936 to 1939. This one is a 1939 Maybach SW 38 Spohn Sport Roadster. It was one of the last produced before war broke out in Europe. No expense was spared by Mercedes in their effort to produce a car unmatched by any other as a statement of unadulterated luxury. The car was offered as a sedan or as a cabriolet ( convertible ) as you see here. Out of a total production of 520 Maybachs, only about 170 remain.

These cars were powered by a straight-six engine that ranged from 3.5 to 4.2 liters in displacement. The more powerful versions could easily exceed 120 MPH, which at that time was considered a " blinding " velocity for a road-going car. But the ultimate attraction to owning a Maybach was the joy of bathing yourself in opulence and garnering the attention of your peers to evidence that you had reached the top.

1050122174_PTqAW-XL.jpg

1050121695_4r7XP-XL.jpg

1050121899_VKxhU-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Yup, boyz and their toys! (inc. cameras. lol).
    The Maybach was, is,,,, one of the sexiest rides out there IMO and I appreciate these images.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    D'Buggs....

I have to agree that the earlier Maybachs deserved their lofty status.
    I'm not so sure about the more recent iteration. It could well be a result of a world-wide crappy economy, but I've read where Mercedes is going to drop the Maybach line. They simply have not sold enough of those cars to justify their continued production. I think the most likely reason, though, is that the top models from Bentley and Rolls Royce are every bit as good....or better than....the current Maybach and cost a good bit less.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    I think Bentley and RR carved the niche as of late and are simply more 'trusted' in the eyes of the consumer group.... Whatever happened, I wouldn't trade on in IF one were to find its place in my garage ; )