Options

LR3-Moving Files on Disk message

picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited October 20, 2010 in Finishing School
What exactly does this mean? I have been moving photos around in LR2 or LR3 for quite some time and have never really had any problems. I always see this message but have never figured out exactly what it means.
<br>
Does anyone know what kind of problems actually come up by moving photos inside of Lightoom?

1050148947_Jroau-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    It means that when you move photos/folders via Lightroom the actual photos/folders are moved on disk. This may seem like stating the obvious but many people are unclear on the relationship between what they see in Lightroom and their actual photos on disk. It also means that move operations are not undoable via Edit > Undo (Ctrl/CMD+Z). You would have to manually move the photos back if you wanted to put them back where they were.

By moving photos within Lightroom you avoid the problem of the Lightroom catalog becoming out of sync with the actual photos on disk. Too many people make the mistake of moving photos outside of Lightroom and create a lot of extra work for themselves.

The only potential problem with using Lightroom to move photos (which is the same using any other application to move photos) is that if there is a computer/application crash the data in transit can be lost, so always have an up-to-date back up in place before any large move operations.
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    Thank you for the reply that totally makes sense!! I do have several backups in place so I should be good there!! It is always nerve racking to see a message that doesn't make 100% sense to me. I usually move photos when I am editing a wedding so that I can separate out the events of the day.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Does anyone know what kind of problems actually come up by moving photos inside of Lightoom?

I prefer to see the message, because when I'm whipping my Wacom stylus around in Lightroom it is way too easy to accidentally pick up some image and drop it in another folder. If I didn't mean to, I may not know which folder it went into! I could lose track of pictures. The message prevents accidental moves, for me.

If you don't experience any problems, you can click "Don't show again."