autumn pagoda

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited October 20, 2010 in Landscapes
the fall color is starting to appear at the Japanese garden in the Seattle Arboretum... a light pass thru ReDynaMix, followed up with a touch of Orton... 5D, 24-135 @ 54mm, 1/125 @ f/8...

IMG_5368ardxortonsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    wow... 150 views and no one has any thoughts to offer? did i do something really wrong with this one?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    I think it's gorgeous, a little too soft for my liking but other than that it has great colors.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    I meant to respond, but got distracted by a phone call and had to get off the computer :bluduh
    I think it's a great image! Good comp and the colors are perfect, but I'm not a fan of the "orton" affect....that's just me....I'm sure many like the effect. I'd really like to see this photo without it though....can you post it here?
    edited October 20, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    I meant to respond, but got distracted by a phone call and had to get off the computer :bluduh
    I think it's a great image! Good comp and the colors are perfect, but I'm not a fan of the "orton" affect....that's just me....I'm sure many like the effect. I'd really like to see this photo without it though....can you post it here?

here's the "non-Orton" version...

AutumnPagodanon-ortonsm.jpg
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    It's a nice composition and the softness isn't what bothers me so much. I think the light was just a little too harsh at the time of this capture. To me, the strong shadows aren't helping so much and there isn't really much that can be done in post processing to mitigate this without getting something that looks entirely unnatural. I'd have to suggest returning on an overcast day, or maybe late in the evening to get some warm and slightly more diffused light on the scene. Anyway, that's just my opinion. :)
    edited October 20, 2010
    dseidman wrote: »
    It's a nice composition and the softness isn't what bothers me so much. I think the light was just a little too harsh at the time of this capture. To me, the strong shadows aren't helping so much and there isn't really much that can be done in post processing to mitigate this without getting something that looks entirely unnatural. I'd have to suggest returning on an overcast day, or maybe late in the evening to get some warm and slightly more diffused light on the scene. Anyway, that's just my opinion. :)

Thanks, Danny... i rather like the warm effect of the light, but it is a bit bright... unfortunately, the way this faces, it's either sunlight or shadow, not much of any "middle ground", and i'm not sure the colors would pop like this in the shade... perhaps one of those "filtered sun" days we sometimes get this time of year...i'll have to see if i can get back there when it's not raining, before the colors disappear.
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night