Fall at Mount Shuksan and Baker

ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 21, 2010 in Landscapes
I'm finally catching up on editing some photos from a couple of weeks ago when I drove up to the Mount Baker area. Here are some photos from Picture Lake and Artist Point. Comments and criticism would be appreciated, especially since some of these are a different style from anything I've posted before. Thanks!

01. Mount Shuksan from Picture Lake in the late afternoon:
IMG_0597.jpg

02. Mount Shuksan from Picture Lake in the late afternoon:
IMG_0608.jpg

03. Mount Baker from Artist Point a little before sunset:
IMG_0645.jpg

04. Mount Shuksan from Artist Point at sunset:
IMG_0707.jpg

05. Mount Shuksan from Artist Point just after sunset:
IMG_0714.jpg

06. Foggy valley from Artist Point at dusk:
IMG_0731.jpg

07. Stars over Mount Shuksan from Artist Point:
IMG_0747.jpg

08. The Milky Way over Mount Baker from Artist Point:
IMG_0771.jpg
Kris

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Let me be the first to congratulate you on those very fine shots. Great capture with the snow....No.1 my favorite! So pristine.
  • ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Let me be the first to congratulate you on those very fine shots. Great capture with the snow....No.1 my favorite! So pristine.

Thank you very much! While it may not be super original, I had been wanting to get my own version of that classic Mount Shuksan shot for a while, and on this trip there (my second in two weeks), the weather was ideal and the fall colors were blazing, so it worked out nicely.
    Kris
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    the first two shots of Shuksan and Picture Lake look almost identical to some i took up there back in 2006... great stuff! i also like the alpenglow from Artist Point as well... very nicely done.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    LOVED the first 2 and the last 4 7 looks like theirs a shooting star in the left side of the pic:)
    edited October 19, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    the first two shots of Shuksan and Picture Lake look almost identical to some i took up there back in 2006... great stuff! i also like the alpenglow from Artist Point as well... very nicely done.

Thank you!
    jackiejay wrote: »
    LOVED the first 2 and the last 4 7 looks like theirs a shooting star in the left side of the pic:)

Thanks, I appreciate it! Yeah, I believe that was a shooting star in #7. I was actually seeing them every few minutes up there. The amount of stars you can see there on a clear night is amazing!
    Kris
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 20, 2010
    Man, these are awesome. Great calm water reflections, great colors, and you got some amazing light. Even the late afternoon shots look great. And you even got a meteor in #7. Amazing! clap.gif
    edited October 20, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Man, these are awesome. Great calm water reflections, great colors, and you got some amazing light. Even the late afternoon shots look great. And you even got a meteor in #7. Amazing! clap.gif

Thanks! I had no choice but to shoot the Picture Lake shots in the late afternoon if I wanted to get all of the foliage in the sunlight. Shortly after I took this, much of the foliage across the lake was in the shadows due to the sun going behind the hills and mountains to my back. It was also creeping up the foliage in the foreground, just below the bottom of this image.

What this image doesn't convey is the other 10-15 photographers with tripods all standing close by. It was funny to listen to the sound of all the shutters going off in unison when all the conditions came together (mainly a perfectly calm lake coupled with nobody walking on the trail on the other side of the lake).

On another note, which composition do you guys like better of the two Picture Lake shots (1 and 2)? I'm leaning toward the first one with some stuff in the foreground, but part of me likes the simplicity of the second one. Thoughts?
    Kris
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    They're both great, but No. 1 is my pick! The colorful foreground helps frame the picture.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Wonderful series! The shots I see from you, Ron and many others makes me really want to visit these locations!

James
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    I've never been able to get to Artist's Point. Always out there too early in the year. Your photos make me more determined to schlep the gear across the continent later in the year.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited October 21, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    They're both great, but No. 1 is my pick! The colorful foreground helps frame the picture.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well.
    jamesl wrote: »
    Wonderful series! The shots I see from you, Ron and many others makes me really want to visit these locations!

I appreciate that! We certainly have some beautiful areas around here. I went out doing some kind of photography trip almost every weekend this summer, and I was rarely more than a few hours away from my home in Olympia. I've lived here for about two and a half years now, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface as far as all the stuff there is to see.
    Icebear wrote: »
    I've never been able to get to Artist's Point. Always out there too early in the year. Your photos make me more determined to schlep the gear across the continent later in the year.

Thank you! I hadn't been to Artist Point before a few weeks ago. It's a beautiful place. I really liked the whole area. To me, it has a very different feel from the Mount Rainier area, where I've been way more often. I definitely intend to go back whenever I can. I'd love to check the area out in the winter, depending on how accessible it is.
    Kris