More fall colors at Mount Rainier

ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 21, 2010 in Landscapes
I made it back out to Mount Rainier yesterday to take one last stab at catching the fall colors there. I did the same thing last weekend in the fog, so I figured it would be worth getting some shots in the clear weather this weekend.

01. Peak color at Paradise:
rainier_fall_09.jpg

02. More color at Paradise:
rainier_fall_12.jpg

03. Fiery backlit bushes at Paradise:
rainier_fall_13.jpg

04. Looking toward the Tatoosh Range:
rainier_fall_14.jpg

05. Perfect clouds for a super wide shot at Upper Tipsoo Lake:
rainier_fall_15.jpg

06. Sunset at Upper Tipsoo Lake:
rainier_fall_16.jpg

P.S. Looks like we ended up at the same place on the same day again, Ron! I was there in the afternoon though.
Kris

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    wow... fabulous colors! wish i could've made it up there this weekend, but i had too many other things going on... :(
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    ALL of these a re beautiful 5 is amazing the way it looks:)
  • ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    wow... fabulous colors! wish i could've made it up there this weekend, but i had too many other things going on... :(
    jackiejay wrote: »
    ALL of these a re beautiful 5 is amazing the way it looks:)

Thank you very much! That will probably be my last weekend there in a while. I'm glad I was able to make it one last time before the colors are past their peak.
    Kris
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Nice Job! No. 2 does it for me, especially with the contrast of the snow and color.

If I may, I'd like to suggest a horizontal crop just above the little pine tree in the foreground (I seem to keep focusing on it.) I think if there were some kind of specific subject matter in the foreground the comp would be good, but without a specific foreground element, I think there might be too much of the same thing. By reducing some the foliage in the foreground and the little pine, I think the eye is led more comfortably to the center of the photo and to the mountain. Just my amateur opinion, which isn't worth much! Great set!
    edited October 19, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Nice Job! No. 2 does it for me, especially with the contrast of the snow and color.

If I may, I'd like to suggest a horizontal crop just above the little pine tree in the foreground (I seem to keep focusing on it.) I think if there were some kind of specific subject matter in the foreground the comp would be good, but without a specific foreground element, I think there might be too much of the same thing. By reducing some the foliage in the foreground and the little pine, I think the eye is led more comfortably to the center of the photo and to the mountain. Just my amateur opinion, which isn't worth much! Great set!

Thanks for the input! When I have a few minutes, I might give that crop a try. My only hesitation is that I tend to like keeping the 3:2 aspect ratio, and in order to crop it there and keep the aspect ratio, I'd have to lose some width, which might remove too much of the mountain. Maybe I shouldn't be so anal about stuff like that, but I usually like maintaining the aspect ratio. I'll have to play around and see. If you want to take a stab yourself and show me how you think it would look better, please go for it! I'm all for constructive criticism and seeing other people's ideas.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed that it looks like there are people on the far right side of #1. This area is a maze of trails, so I tried to avoid that. I missed it when I was editing this one though. I normally would've removed them either by cropping, cloning/healing, or selecting a different shot. I'll have to fix that one later.
    Kris
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 20, 2010
    Another great set. They're all good, but I think #2 is my favorite.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    ksproul wrote: »
    Thanks for the input! When I have a few minutes, I might give that crop a try. My only hesitation is that I tend to like keeping the 3:2 aspect ratio, and in order to crop it there and keep the aspect ratio, I'd have to lose some width, which might remove too much of the mountain. Maybe I shouldn't be so anal about stuff like that, but I usually like maintaining the aspect ratio. I'll have to play around and see. If you want to take a stab yourself and show me how you think it would look better, please go for it! I'm all for constructive criticism and seeing other people's ideas.

I know just what you mean! I also try to keep the 3:2 aspect ratio, but I do crop to certain sizes that I can get standard matt/frames. I agree that losing width of the mountains would hurt the photo. Here is a square crop to compare....both comps, I think, are good ones. Years ago, I considered switching to a Hasselblad camera because I liked the square format, however it did limit my compositions too much, so I returned it. I think the photo works here in a square format though.

1056311815_ZCzaP-L.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    edited October 21, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    I know just what you mean! I also try to keep the 3:2 aspect ratio, but I do crop to certain sizes that I can get standard matt/frames. I agree that losing width of the mountains would hurt the photo. Here is a square crop to compare....both comps, I think, are good ones. Years ago, I considered switching to a Hasselblad camera because I liked the square format, however it did limit my compositions too much, so I returned it. I think the photo works here in a square format though.

1056311815_ZCzaP-L.jpg

I agree. This works too, but I still prefer the 3:2 aspect ratio, personally. Thanks!
    Kris
    edited October 21, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice set thumb.gifthumb

Thank you!
    Kris