Options

Intervalometer

GSbikerGSbiker Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited December 5, 2012 in Accessories
I searched the site and could not find much info on the subject. What I am looking for is a programmable intervalometer that will take pictures based on sunrise and sunset without reprogramming every couple days.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 19, 2010
    That would depend upon the particular camera. Some cameras will not have an acceptable solution.

Ideally you would want a fully programmable computer to use as a controller. Sensing the daylight or simply calculating the daylight cycles might both be valuable strategies, depending on whether you also need to allow for clouds, etc.

What is your budget?
    What camera?
    Do you have ready access to lines power?
    How will the camera be powered?
    If the camera is not constantly powered, how will it be activated?
    What is your level of understanding of electronics and programming and interfacing?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    After some research it looks like the easiest solution will be to use a Arduino micro-controller board to trip the shutter at sunrise +2 hours for 365 days. They are cheap, open source and even an idiot (me) can learn to program it.
  • Options
    MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    GSbiker wrote: »
    After some research it looks like the easiest solution will be to use a Arduino micro-controller board to trip the shutter at sunrise +2 hours for 365 days. They are cheap, open source and even an idiot (me) can learn to program it.

I built a similar system also using the Arduino. Initially it was for photographing water drops (infrared trip) but I later added a microphone and a timer (Intervalometer). Once you have the basic system set up adding extras is pretty easy.

There is a lot of information on the web and a simple Google should get you everything you need.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Martyn wrote: »
    I built a similar system also using the Arduino. Initially it was for photographing water drops (infrared trip) but I later added a microphone and a timer (Intervalometer). Once you have the basic system set up adding extras is pretty easy.

There is a lot of information on the web and a simple Google should get you everything you need.

The Arduino arrived yesterday. clap.gif Can't wait to get started.
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    The Arduino arrived yesterday. clap.gif Can't wait to get started.
    So how did your experimentation go? I just got an Arduino with an intervalometer in mind and have a Raspberry Pi on order as well for more complex tasks.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2012
    Wow, I can't believe it has been two years since this thread was started. My intervalometer quest has progressed from a Arduino UNO open source controller to a dip switch programmable, low current draw product for production and sale. The Arduino UNO worked great but it is a power hog. I have been through just about every commercial intervalometer and none of them fit my application perfectly. Many will take 999 photos and stop or drain a battery in just a few days or weeks. They all had limitations.

The project that I was working on used 45 Nikon D300 cameras that will be in housings and in the field for years. http://www.plattebasintimelapse.com/ I needed something that would run on its own for months without babysitting. Many of the cameras have winter time access issues.

If you are looking for a basic intervalometer that will click until the batteries go dead, go with a Arduino Pro Mini. It has only the basics on the board. No USB electronics to draw power when not in use. Add a couple NPN transistors to provide a pull to ground for the camera metering line and shutter line and you will be in business. If you don't want night photos then add a photo transistor in line with the power to turn the board on when there is enough light to take a picture.

Good luck with your project.
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    If you are looking for a basic intervalometer that will click until the batteries go dead, go with a Arduino Pro Mini.
    Thanks! It'll be awhile before I get anything going, I just blinked the LED last night, woo hoo! :)

Given your application I'd probably just go with a PIC. Have you seen the Femtoduino, looks about the same size, maybe even a bit smaller than the Pro Mini.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2012
    roakey wrote: »
    Thanks! It'll be awhile before I get anything going, I just blinked the LED last night, woo hoo! :)

Given your application I'd probably just go with a PIC. Have you seen the Femtoduino, looks about the same size, maybe even a bit smaller than the Pro Mini.

Roak

Yes, the PIC is good but I wanted something that I could program with a dip switch. The PIC does not have enough inputs.