Canon 5D shutter problem?

lmariealmariea Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 9, 2010 in Cameras
While I was in the midst of shooting a wedding this weekend my Canon 5D started having an issue that I think is shutter related. It's a black bar at the bottom of the frame -- sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes, like when I hold the camera vertically, it's not there at all. I've adjusted my shutter speed and ISO and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The only thing that's consistent is it's never there when I shoot vertically. Has anyone else seen anything like this and do you know of a fix for it?

Here's an example from a shoot I did yesterday. The black isn't quite as pronounced in this one as it is in some others, but it's the only one I have on this computer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41554814@N04/5095824212/

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 19, 2010
    Are you using flash?

Is the problem also associated with shutter speed? (Even if it's just a very fast shutter speed versus very slow shutter speed difference.) (Check the EXIF of different images to check for sure.)

Is there any error message from the camera that is associated with the problem?

Is there any odd "rattle" sound coming from the internals of the camera that is a new sound?

Has the main mirror ever been repaired?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lmariealmariea Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 8, 2010
    Update
    Hey, just thought I would give an update on this issue.

First, no I wasn't using flash. No, there were no error codes and no odd noises coming from the camera, nor had the mirror ever been repaired.

Richy, the images delivered to the client were either cropped or used the fix you described. I'd already finished editing them by the time I posted here.

I took the camera to a local repair man who quickly identified the problem as an issue with the mirror box -- it wasn't flipping up all the way. He said one of the hinges was cracked, bought a new part and replaced it for me. It was a problem he said he'd never seen before on a Canon 5D, but oddly a day after I brought mine in, another local brought one in with the same problem!

The day after I got it back the mirror popped off, so it's back in for repair, but should be done sometime this week.

Just FYI, for anyone else experiencing this issue!

<3
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    This is a known issue with the 5D. I sent mine in to Canon awhile ago and had it repaired.

Sam
  • lmariealmariea Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2010
    Good to know, Sam! :) My repair guy said he wasn't able to find anything about it, and I personally searched online for similar problems without much luck. Hopefully this thread will clue in others who have broken mirror boxes!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    The original Canon 5D does have a history of the main mirror becoming loose and even falling off of its mount. That's why I asked the specific questions about any noises from the camera and whether the main mirror had been repaired.

I am not aware of any largely reported mirror box hinge problem.

Here is the Canon link to the official 5D mirror detachment issue and resolution:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/windows_vista/cameras/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_5d?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd94
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums