Options

Skyline Drive and Luray Caverns

esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited January 3, 2011 in Journeys
A few weekends ago, i, my wife, and a few friends went out to Skyline Drive and hit up Luray Caverns. It was not yet peak yet, but the next three weekends we had plans (two weddings two weekends ago, my law school reunion last weekend, and homecoming for Emily's grad school next weekend), so it was then or never (until spring anyway).

We started off hiking up Stony Man which offered nice views of Skyline Drive:

1052607858_gWmpn-XL.jpg

1046165003_fiPP4-XL.jpg

Plenty of panoramas:

1046168683_4G7bX-XL.jpg

The trail itself was relatively easy, which allow time for more photos (much to my wife's dismay):

1046169608_b7jLa-XL.jpg

Cascading water:

1054152818_Ui43Z-X2.jpg

We then drive about 30 minutes to Luray Caverns. I was pretty happy how these turned out though noise is evident.

1052485948_oVbXg-XL.jpg

1052491100_MNFrk-XL.jpg

This "lake" is no more than 18 inches deep, but appears much deeper because of the reflections:

1052530217_ASoFA-XL.jpg

1054130155_bjGYj-X2.jpg

Looking up:

1054275038_jmQoK-X2.jpg

Notice the built in organ:

1054266916_dyMKs-X2.jpg

The wishing well:

1054261675_FDbse-X2.jpg

Thank you for looking. C+C welcome and plenty of more pictures can be found here: http://esc.smugmug.com/Vacations-Travel/Skyline-Drive-and-Luray/14172866_2453a#1046161241_DaTSZ

Comments

• Options
    jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Ive never been their thanks for sharing it with us beautiful set of pics(now that Ive gotten my Cam thats one of the places I wanna go)
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Love the "lake" and the berry shot. By the way, what was the ISO for the cave shots?
  • Options
    telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    thank you for sharing the nice photos. got a chance to visit Luray Caverns about 15 or so years ago when I was visiting relatives in VA. Still is awesome :)
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    jackiejay wrote: »
    Ive never been their thanks for sharing it with us beautiful set of pics(now that Ive gotten my Cam thats one of the places I wanna go)
    Love the "lake" and the berry shot. By the way, what was the ISO for the cave shots?
    Thanks! The cave shots were almost all at 5000. I decided to shoot at a lower aperture to keep more depths in focus.
    thank you for sharing the nice photos. got a chance to visit Luray Caverns about 15 or so years ago when I was visiting relatives in VA. Still is awesome :)
    Thanks. Luray is awesome, though there is no supervision during the audio tour, so many tourists take to touching and grabbing the formations which bothered me a bit.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    Here are a few more cave photos:

1054267777_ov8oi-L.jpg

This formation fell off the ceiling a long time ago - probably from an earthquake.

1054273514_WM89A-XL.jpg

1054141081_e7XcD-L.jpg

1054135404_VKjpc-L.jpg

The largest formation in Luray:

1054131714_AninY-XL.jpg
  • Options
    wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Never had a chance to get there, thanks for posting!
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    good stuff.

Would love to go there some day. Funny, Luray was just on Modern Marvels... "Coin Operated II" showed how they empty the wishing well, get all the coins out and send them off to be cleaned then counted. Guess they contribute $30-40k each year to charity from the Wishing Well
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Looks scary place, nice photos.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Nice shots and one of my favorite subjects :) Did you try longer shutter/ lower iso? that usually helps with the noise. I have a very nice video on dvd they did on Luray caverns I've shown it at one of our caving club meetings.
  • Options
    PixpopPixpop Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Shooting technique
    Some great images. Thanks for posting.
    I noticed that many of the shots are 1/15 or even 1/8 sec. Are you hand holding?
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2010
    wpbarr wrote: »
    Never had a chance to get there, thanks for posting!
    Sure, thanks for looking. thumb.gif
    good stuff.

Would love to go there some day. Funny, Luray was just on Modern Marvels... "Coin Operated II" showed how they empty the wishing well, get all the coins out and send them off to be cleaned then counted. Guess they contribute $30-40k each year to charity from the Wishing Well
    They have a chart listing all the charities they have donated to through the years. On one hand the well is "polluting" the natural environment down there, but on the other, it is a good cause(s).
    Looks scary place, nice photos.
    Thanks!
    captnemo wrote: »
    Nice shots and one of my favorite subjects :) Did you try longer shutter/ lower iso? that usually helps with the noise. I have a very nice video on dvd they did on Luray caverns I've shown it at one of our caving club meetings.
    Pixpop wrote: »
    Some great images. Thanks for posting.
    I noticed that many of the shots are 1/15 or even 1/8 sec. Are you hand holding?
    I was not sure they allowed tripods, so every shot had to be hand held, so I had to keep the iso up to avoid to much depth blurring with a high f/stop.

And captnemo, I would love to see your photos/video.
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Awesome photos!! Your hiking comment made me chuckle. My wife feels the same way when I continually stop on hikes to take photos :)