• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 19, 2010
    Cool.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Cool shot...Walter thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    No doubt, Walter, this must be the stairway to heaven. Cool image.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    very pretty love the way the sky looks.
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Fantastic composition. Is this a digital edit or are there multiple doorways on the stair case. What is this place? Whatever it is it's facinating. Great work.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Who got the pots of gold??!! Shoulda been 3... So are you gonna switch to Leica now mwink.gifDrolleyes1.gif

Cooo... oool!!!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    I agree -- really cool. I don't know if its some of your "wonderful work" or not, but it's really neat thumb.gif
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Thank you everyone! I was told a few years ago that compositing is a slippery slope, and it is. It's way fun though and gives me a sense of identity as well as a vent for my creative urges.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    nice composition. I think it would be more effective if you removed the rainbows from the inner doorways
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited October 20, 2010
    dtw78 wrote: »
    nice composition. I think it would be more effective if you removed the rainbows from the inner doorways

Yeah, I had been thinking about that as well. I can see it both ways. It does make the image more intriguing, but it's also a bit of a giveaway that it's a composite. ne_nau.gif
    edited October 20, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Yeah, I had been thinking about that as well. I can see it both ways. It does make the image more intriguing, but it's also a bit of a giveaway that it's a composite. ne_nau.gif

Now that's a possibility. I don't want a viewer to think I'm trying to fool them though. It's been brought up that the rainbows should be extended through to the border, but I'm not real up on that. Originally I was thinking having streaked clouds wind through the doorways, but the openings are too confining.
    Anybody can do it.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    wfeller wrote: »
    Now that's a possibility. I don't want a viewer to think I'm trying to fool them though. It's been brought up that the rainbows should be extended through to the border, but I'm not real up on that. Originally I was thinking having streaked clouds wind through the doorways, but the openings are too confining.

I know i'll take some heat for this but isn't photoshoped images supposed to fool the viewer? shhhh I do it all the timemwink.gif
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited October 20, 2010
    I know i'll take some heat for this but isn't photoshoped images supposed to fool the viewer? shhhh I do it all the timemwink.gif

Yes, but it's a little tricky. If you make it appear too convincing you run the risk that the viewer will not even notice that there's something strange going on and look more closely. That's why I am ambivalent about the second rainbow in this one.

Oh, and BTW, you would get lots of heat for that on the Street forum but not here. I trust BD isn't reading this. rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 20, 2010
    Yes, but it's a little tricky. If you make it appear too convincing you run the risk that the viewer will not even notice that there's something strange going on and look more closely. That's why I am ambivalent about the second rainbow in this one.

Oh, and BTW, you would get lots of heat for that on the Street forum but not here. I trust BD isn't reading this. rolleyes1.gif

From elsewhere:
    ---- I'm not out to fool or counterfeit, but more to express a dream-state. I enjoy incorporating illusions in my work--something that isn't quite right--illogical. I'll give it some time. I may just end up replacing the sky. Compositing is way more fun for me than traditional photography is. ----

& here's one of my favorite examples:

702-c2432-34-v3s.jpg

-
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 20, 2010
    Without the interior rainbows:
    423-r4972-v2w2.jpg

I think I'll try another sky before I give this up for done.

(Yikes, I think I did a slight desaturation layer on the other)
    -
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 20, 2010
    I like it much better without the other rainbows. Did add a little color tho as I was peeking through the doors :D

Never tried this, but find it intriguing. Can you lead me towards any tutorials on how to do this?
    edited October 20, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Can you lead me towards any tutorials on how to do this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogwarts_School_of_Witchcraft_and_Wizardry

mwink.gif

:D

rolleyes1.gif

!

Neil

edited October 20, 2010
    edited October 21, 2010
    Never tried this, but find it intriguing. Can you lead me towards any tutorials on how to do this?

Mary,

Compositing is great fun but may require quite a lot of work. I've spent days on getting a single image to look good. The best resource I've found is a book by Katrin Eismann, Photoshop Masking & Compositing. Be warned: it's not easy, but she does take you through things step-by-step. Many of the techniques are useful even if you are not doing composites.
    edited October 21, 2010
    Mary,

Compositing is great fun but may require quite a lot of work. I've spent days on getting a single image to look good. The best resource I've found is a book by Katrin Eismann, Photoshop Masking & Compositing. Be warned: it's not easy, but she does take you through things step-by-step. Many of the techniques are useful even if you are not doing composites.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just took a brief look at it and it looks like fun. It will be hard, but I'm up to the challenge :D

As for Neils recommendation..I'm still trying to figure out how to do it rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 21, 2010
    As for Neils recommendation..I'm still trying to figure out how to do it rolleyes1.gif

Mary, you do need some tek, for instance a wand, and some flouncy robes etc. You'll need the textbooks, of course, available from any bookstore, just look for Harry Potter. I believe there is a regular rail service to the college, leaves from Victoria Street station platform 9 3/4, which is anywhere and everywhere to those in the know. Or you could always hop on a broomstick. The first skill you learn, as all children know, is to suspend disbelief!thumb.gif

Happy magik!

Neil

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Very neat piece Walter. Really like the stone colors and such. Plus the
    image remaining sharp to center infinity. :D The moody threatening clouds are a great color too.
    Michael
    edited October 22, 2010
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just took a brief look at it and it looks like fun. It will be hard, but I'm up to the challenge :D

Thanks again everyone. I have a copy of Katrin Eismann's book. It's very good. I bought it to learn how to select hair (and consquently leaves, blades of grass etc.) and build masks, but I keep getting lost in the last stages of the process for some reason and end up doing my own thing. One trick I've learned is to burn fringed edges into blending with the background. Time is the main ingredient. It seems though, no matter how much time it takes, it doesn't take as much time as it would to paint with a brush on canvas. A couple weeks ago I was talking to a sculptor about this. She laughed when I said one photo had taken me about 12 hours to finish. She showed me a piece that had taken her 10-12 hours a day for a month. Hopefully, if I put the time element out of mind, I can get into something I really like.
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Very neat piece Walter. Really like the stone colors and such. Plus the
    image remaining sharp to center infinity. :D The moody threatening clouds are a great color too.

Thanks. One of the things I like about compositing is if I shoot right on every image the DOF is snappy clear all the way through. I liked that in my landscapes shooting/processing traditionally. Now I'm really getting into it. I think of it like stacking.

-
    Anybody can do it.
    edited October 22, 2010
    wfeller wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone. I have a copy of Katrin Eismann's book. It's very good. I bought it to learn how to select hair (and consquently leaves, blades of grass etc.) and build masks, but I keep getting lost in the last stages of the process for some reason and end up doing my own thing. One trick I've learned is to burn fringed edges into blending with the background. Time is the main ingredient. It seems though, no matter how much time it takes, it doesn't take as much time as it would to paint with a brush on canvas. A couple weeks ago I was talking to a sculptor about this. She laughed when I said one photo had taken me about 12 hours to finish. She showed me a piece that had taken her 10-12 hours a day for a month. Hopefully, if I put the time element out of mind, I can get into something I really like,

-

This will be a whole new learning experience for me since I'm not really photoshop literate. I can do basic things, but this is much more advanced then the information my brain holds rolleyes1.gif

It will certainly help me pass the long winter months. I'm looking forward to it.