Canon 1Ds MK II frame rates

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,065 moderator
edited September 7, 2005 in Cameras
Has anyone ever done any testing of the Canon 1Ds MK II at different resolutions to see the impact on frame rates?

I couldn't find anything with the search engines.

Thanks,

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    My 1DMkII moves along at 8.5fps regardless of the image quality set, however the buffer size is what changes. I can shoot 24 at Large Fine and 40+ at small. If I go to RAW them it dropes to about 10 frames.

ISO also plays into effect. Higher ISO settings will cause larger files and hence a smaller buffer.

But the frames per second stays the same.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 6, 2005
    Ziggy -

I know that at least one of the Nikon DSLRs varies its frame rate as the file sizes are changed, but I am not aware that the fps rate of the 1DsMkll is a function of file size. I'll try to look this up in the manual and get back to you. A 1DsMkII isn't really purchased for its frame rate, although it is as fast as a 20D I think.
    But not the machine gun the 1DMKll is - that is 8fps bang,bang,bang.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Has anyone ever done any testing of the Canon 1Ds MK II at different resolutions to see the impact on frame rates?

I couldn't find anything with the search engines.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    I don't think the rate changes, only the number of shots that can be made before the buffer's full.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't think the rate changes, only the number of shots that can be made before the buffer's full.

That is what I think too, so if yo set it to S jpg your buffer will probably read 40, but it will clear faster so you might be able to shoot until you fill the card if you have a fast enough card. So instead of 20D movies at 3fps you could make 1DmkII movies at 8.5fps. :D I think I tested it once, but I don't like to run the shutter that hard, I can't remember. headscratch.gif
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    It will fire faster in manual focus or single AF, if you set the camera to Continuous focus or tell it to only shoot when in focus then it will go slower.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I know that at least one of the Nikon DSLRs varies its frame rate as the file sizes are changed, but I am not aware that the fps rate of the 1DsMkll is a function of file size.
    Correct, the newest Nikon fires faster in the sports mode than in the normal mode. In the sports mode the camera only uses a central crop of the sensor. This means fewer pixels are moved off the sensor, which takes less time. Therefore, faster frame rate.

Note however, that this is independant of the file resolution you choose. In other words, if you choose large JPG, or medium JPG, or small JPG, the camera still needs to move all those pixels off the sensor. It moves them off, then creates a file of a certain final resolution (which may involve down-rezzing), then puts it into the buffer, then writes to the CF card. So even the Nikon will shoot the same frame rate in sports mode no matter what resolution of final JPG you choose.

Frame rate is partly a function of how fast you can get pixels off the sensor and how fast you can move the mirror. Burst length is a function of how many pixels you have in the final image and how much buffer memory you have. How fast you can empty the buffer to start bursting again is a function of how fast your memory card is.

And yes, the Mark II is a machine gun. I really liked my 20D when I only did motorsports. I've started doing high school football, and I can really see some advantages to a Mark II now (for many reasons, not just frame rate). Man, I hope parents buy photos so I can buy a new camera. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    The 1DmkII and other Canon digital cameras can have their max (H/L) frame rates adjusted when connected to the computer and the appropriate Canon software. So if you needed 5fps on your 1DmkII it is easy to set. You could add that into the max frame rate and buffer equation. ne_nau.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    It is important to realize that both Nikon and Canon cameras do NOT shoot "slower" at high resolution. Other than the D2x's high speed cropped mode, but of course that's WHY it's called high speed cropped, because it is just that.

Your camera will only take ONE picture if it's not in "continuous" (servo?) mode. Your camera will shoot until it's buffer is full if it is in continuous. Or if you have a dynamic buffer and a VERY fast card, you can shoot large / normal JPG's for longer than you could ever possibly desire.

However, things to remember: If your camera is in continuous focus, it (tries to) verify and maintain focus in between EACH frame you shoot. I believe it is possible for this to sometimes cause a tiny lag in your frame rate. Most notably however, at least with my D70, is if you have your noise reduction accidentally turned on; this will CONSIDERABLY slow down your frame rate. Even at very fast shutter speeds, the camera still takes an extra, very noticeable "instant" to go over the photo. Of course, you should not have NR on if you're shooting sports in daylight...

And then there's cameras like the newfangled F6, that can shoot single, 3 fps, 5 fps, 8 fps, all selectable as diferent modes. Oh and don't forget "stealth" mode!

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum