are you happy w/ your 7D?

NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited October 20, 2010 in Cameras
I am thinking about moving from my 20D to a 7D... I have been reading anything I can get my hand on, although, most of the reviews are older.
So... I thought I would ask my smugmug friends how they like their 7D's

T.I.A.

Tim

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 20, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Depending on what you want to do with it you will either love it or hate it.
    You gave lots of reasons to love it, Richy. So for what reasons could someone hate it? headscratch.gif
  • NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Depending on what you want to do with it you will either love it or hate it.

The AF is as close to a 1 series as you'll get under 4k USD new. It really is a giant step up from the XXD range. The viewfinder is awesome. IQ is respectable, you need to figure out the best settings in post to get the most from the files, but where the 50d was a disappointment IQ wise the 7d manages to pull off more resolution and improved IQ. Its no 5d2 or 1 series IQ wise, but it depends what your priorities are. Once I have applied the right usm \ nr I cannot reliably tell it apart from the 5d2 files, especially in prints.

I had the opportunity to play with a friends 7d prior to buying one, I had considered waiting for the 60d or just getting a 1d4, in the end I'm happy with my choice. If you don't need the AF then get the t2i or the 60d. Otherwise its one amazing camera for the price. It is important to remember that it may be the wrong camera for you however :) Plenty of very happy 7d owners about though.

Thanks for the reply.
    my main use will be sports (soccer) and everyday shooting (kids) indoors and out. the 7D fits my budget just right...5D2 is out of reach and so is the 1D4, like you said, priorities :) im sure my 50mm will be on it 80% and my 70-200 will be on it 15% and then the 10-22 the other 5%... something like that.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    If you want to stick to crop body then 7D is best option, and i am very happy with my 7D.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Many recent threads on this - most of us are repeating what we said there. In my case, YES YES YES. I couldn't be happier with it and, until I can jump to full frame some time in the future, can't imagine any other Canon model suiting me better.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=181021

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180404 (in particular post #29)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=178978
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    I just got mine yesterday and stayed up entirely too late reading the manual! So far, so good. A couple things will take some getting used to (different from my 40D), but I don't think it will take long. The autofocus system is different for me, but I'm beginning to work it out. All change takes a bit of adjustment time, but I am very happy with it...about 24 hours in!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 20, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Many recent threads on this - most of us are repeating what we said there. In my case, YES YES YES. I couldn't be happier with it and, until I can jump to full frame some time in the future, can't imagine any other Canon model suiting me better.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=181021

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=180404 (in particular post #29)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=178978

Hi divamum,

Thanks for the links! I know there are many posts about the same thing. I have read many that are older and the ppl reallly liked them when they got the new camera... im wanting to know if those ppl are still happy with the 7D? or have they found things they don't really like after having it for a while.
    once again, thanks for the links and I will check them out

Tim
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Those are all from the last month or so - I think you'll find them fairly comprehensive. In particular, read Richy's post (the #29 linked above) - I think it outlines the pros/cons of the camera and the files it produces better than anything else I've seen or read on the net!
    edited October 20, 2010
    Who isn't it for or what are the cons. The camera is balanced differently in its strengths (which is great, choice is good) the 5d2 is 100% about IQ. I know canon make some great efs ultrawides, but they aren't as great as the 17-40 \ 16-35 and the primes and the 5d2 makes full use of their intended focal lengths. You also get the razor thing dof you got with film at wide aps.

Whilst the 5d2's af isn't bad, its not designed or intended to be its main strength. The 1ds3 was an all round top of the range camera that could handle everything from sports to portraits to landscapes. The 5d2 took away some durability \ build quality and also the AF. The 5d2 excels at landscapes and portraits and does good enough at weddings, but isn't the best for sports. Conversely, the 7d is aimed towards the baby 1d market, it has awesome AF and pretty great IQ. Neither are bad cameras in any way, their weak points are still very strong. From what you said your intended uses would be its probably the best mid priced canon for you. If you said I shoot landscapes and portraits then 5d2 \ 1ds2 \ 1ds3 \ 5d depending on budget, but its better at soccer and capable enough to do kids portraits and would excel at taking shots of kids running about. You'll notice a huge jump from the 20d which is itself a great camera. You also have some good glass which will help make the most of the 7d. For portraits I would try keep the iso low so strobist time :)

Thank you everyone for the input, look for my 20D in the FS section soon!