Burelsque Performers, close up (?NSFW)

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited October 23, 2010 in People
I got tired of shooting in a wider format, which shows more of the context, but a full body/half body shot, I found to be banal. I went back to do more abstract performance shots which was more appealing to me.

So I went with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens and sat in the front row, about 10 feet or so from the performers and shot at about 200mm, getting super tight shots. They perform on a small stage with a red velvet curtain in the background, which can often be cluttered.

However, when they move into the spotlight, the bright light allows for a fast shutter speed but that also throws the background black, so there is no context to the shot, it's just abstract headshot of the performer with a black background (which I found to be cleaner). It was tough though as you are using a very narrow field of view on a moving subject with very dynamic lighting situation but it was different and fun and I liked the different look to the shots.

1. Dolly Danger, she had a balloons covering her dress that she would pop.
1046718330_kqmXA-M.jpg

2. 1046720156_aUiem-M.jpg

3. Madeline Sinclare doing a fan dance.
1046759232_ZgjD6-M.jpg

1046761139_XD8if-M.jpg

5. Lavendar la Rue
1046780901_2mGXZ-M.jpg

6. Isabella Star.
1047894896_T389g-M.jpg

7. Ali Oops
1047914470_UiLoM-M.jpg

8. crazy makeup
1047921514_n5nhC-M.jpg

Whole gallery is here

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    These would be easier to evaluate if they were posted larger. My favorites are #5 (reminds me of Madonna!) and #8 (great the way the arms form a frame around the expressive face).
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Thanks, I hear you about the size, but I'm a bit wary of posting larger sizes due to folks saving them and such.
    Call me paranoid. Sorry about that but you can increase the viewing size to see the images a bit bigger.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    I shoot under these conditions all the time (stage light) and I think you did a fine job on these.....
    I've also thought about shooting tighter and mixing it up but it's difficult at best unless you have two bodies with different lenses.

1, 6 and 8 are my faves!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 20, 2010
    Thanks
    The 70-200mm f2.8 IS is a very heavy lens and I didn't like holding it two hours straight .

I agree, for serious event work, you need two bodies, maybe three if you really hate changing lenses.
    But this is a hobby for me so no two body set up. Plus you are sitting in a row elbow to elbow with the audience, so there really wouldn't be room for me to have two bodies.

But ideally, I think a 70 or an 85m f1.8 and a 200mm f2.8 primes would be a good set up for this so you can have one wide and one tight.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    I shot the last event with a 70-200 and even at 50 ft from the stage I couldn't get the full stage with an FX sensor.
    The new Nikon VRII was not that bad to handle
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Very cool captures. Have you thought about watermarking you images and posting them larger?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 23, 2010
    They are watermarked, sorry if they are a bit small. I'm a bit paranoid about larger file sizes available to be taken by anyone.

Thanks for the complement though.