Shutter count on Canon XTi

Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited October 25, 2010 in Cameras
:bow Need some help from all you smart people here!

I am trying to find a way to learn the actuations or shutter count on my Canon XTi. I have spent countless hours searching the web, in addition to searching on this great site.

I plan to sell my Canon Rebel xti since it’s never used. It has a very low shutter count, and thought it would be beneficial to know the exact count for resale purposes.

If I can’t obtain this number, does it hurt the resale value of my camera?? :dunno

I’m on a Mac using Jeffry’s Exif viewer. I’ve tried Opanda and Astrojargon. I’ve found programs that work for the Canon 40D and up, programs for Nikon and even tried Flickr with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much in advance!!! :D

Comments

• chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    I simply assumed that the next photo number assigned equals the number of photos taken to date.
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    I simply assumed that the next photo number assigned equals the number of photos taken to date.

That's what I thought originally too. But there have been times when I've deleted in camera, plus I have multiple cards, some of which were used interchangeably between two different camera bodies. I also read that when using live view or video it doesn't apply to the shutter count (which neither apply to my Rebel)

Thanks so much for your help. :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 21, 2010
    I do believe that genuine Canon service centers can read that information directly from the camera with a special hardware and software.

You can get reasonably close if the image-file numbering has not rolled over and you put a brand new memory card (that has never been in a camera) into the 5D and set the camera for auto-numbering and then take a shot. You should be able to figure out the count from the file name.

If you use a card which has ever been in a camera, the 5d will pick up the count from the old card, even if there are no images on the card, so it needs to be a new card (or a card that has been re-formatted properly in a computer, and then in the camera. A new card is just much simpler.)

If the file counter has rolled over, then the resulting file name will be off by the number of rotations the counter has rolled over.

If you can't figure out the image count from the resulting file name, just give us the file name and we should be able to help.

The best count will still be from Canon since that shows total actuations, not just images recorded.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 21, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I do believe that genuine Canon service centers can read that information directly from the camera with a special hardware and software.

You can get reasonably close if the image-file numbering has not rolled over and you put a brand new memory card (that has never been in a camera) into the 5D and set the camera for auto-numbering and then take a shot. You should be able to figure out the count from the file name.

If you use a card which has ever been in a camera, the 5d will pick up the count from the old card, even if there are no images on the card, so it needs to be a new card (or a card that has been re-formatted properly in a computer, and then in the camera. A new card is just much simpler.)

If the file counter has rolled over, then the resulting file name will be off by the number of rotations the counter has rolled over.

If you can't figure out the image count from the resulting file name, just give us the file name and we should be able to help.

The best count will still be from Canon since that shows total actuations, not just images recorded.

Thank you so much for the tips, I will definitely try this!!

I've heard Canon service can detect the shutter count, but I didn't really want to send it in just for that. The camera has been a back-up and not used often. I just wanted to know if the camera had 2k clicks, 5k clicks, or more. I thought it would be good if I could give any potential buyers an accurate count.

You mention the 5D. I'm referring to a Rebel XTi, but I'm assuming the process would work the same. I'm off to buy a new media card and will give this a try.

Thanks again!!! I really appreciate your help!! :D
    edited October 21, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Thank you so much for the tips, I will definitely try this!!

I've heard Canon service can detect the shutter count, but I didn't really want to send it in just for that. The camera has been a back-up and not used often. I just wanted to know if the camera had 2k clicks, 5k clicks, or more. I thought it would be good if I could give any potential buyers an accurate count.

You mention the 5D. I'm referring to a Rebel XTi, but I'm assuming the process would work the same. I'm off to buy a new media card and will give this a try.

Thanks again!!! I really appreciate your help!! :D
    edited October 21, 2010
    Oy.....sorry for the double post. Not sure why it gave me an error message and didn't show up the first time. ne_nau.gif
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I would use the astrojargon program !

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Changing card does not affect the automatic file name coming from the camera - at least not on mine. The filename is driven from the camera depending on # photos taken. I suppose this in not 100% accurate using live view but close enough.
    edited October 22, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I would use the astrojargon program !

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Thanks for your help! :D

Unfortunately Astrojargon doesn't support my camera. According to their FAQ: #0- It will not work on the 1D*, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D, and 400D. ......... the Canon SDK does not support retrieving the shutter count for them. headscratch.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Also the numbering count of filenames is not always accurate. I accidentally moved a CF card from my wife's camera to my XTi with numbered images on it. The XTi skipped to the next number of my wife's camera.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • LarrynyLarryny Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2010
    Not sure if this is legitimate or not but I heard that if you reflash your CF card with different firmware, you can get a shutter count on the Rebel XTI.

Just google 'xti firmware chdk' for more information.
    edited October 25, 2010
    I really appreciate everyone taking the time to offer me assistance!! Thanks so much!! :)