Brittany - Recent Senior - Thoughts?

jbextenjbexten Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited October 23, 2010 in People
Inside shots done with a pair of AB 800's. Main light was a large softbox to camera left with fill being a Large PLM behind and to camera right. Background lighting for white background was a pair of 580EXII's and for the colored backdrop a single 580EXII right behind the subject. All outdoor shots were taken with natural lighting. Camera was a Canon 50D with a 24-70 F/2.8L and 70-200 F/2.8L IS II. What do you think?

1052943868_7vGcc-L.jpg

1052943989_JXLkB-M.jpg

1052944056_TCQcE-L.jpg

1052943147_kzs9D-L.jpg

1052943322_B9xn4-L.jpg

1052943457_n7vrk-L.jpg

1052943790_NUKrB-L.jpg

1052944461_6Cw3e-L.jpg

Comments

• mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Thoughts? Just one... these are great! Love the color in the outdoor shots and the high-key are nice and clean. Awesome job!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Nice work! thumb.gif
    Lovely highkeys and solid outdoors!

My biggest nit is that she carries the same hollywood smile over and over and over and over again (except #2)...

And for #1: add "Toes!" command to your arsenal.
    They have to be extended (and yes, I'm aware of the implications;-)
    HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jbextenjbexten Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Nice work! thumb.gif
    Lovely highkeys and solid outdoors!

My biggest nit is that she carries the same hollywood smile over and over and over and over again (except #2)...

And for #1: add "Toes!" command to your arsenal.
    They have to be extended (and yes, I'm aware of the implications;-)
    HTH
    Nikolai

Sorry! But I'm not sure what you mean by add Toes! command to your arsenal. What exactly do you mean? Thanks!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    jbexten wrote: »
    Sorry! But I'm not sure what you mean by add Toes! command to your arsenal. What exactly do you mean? Thanks!

What I mean is that female subject's feet look much better when the toes are extended/elongated, as in here:
    306311730_onFGc-L.jpg

Typically I operate with a limited set of certain brief commands I teach my subject to understand at the beginning of the first shoot, since I would be using them countless times.
    "Toes!" is one of them, meaning "Would you be so kind and extend your toes for me, please!" mwink.gif
    This is especially important when dealing with non-pros (as in non-models), since vast majority of the regular folks simply don't know what pose/position looks good and what not, hence it's your responsibility as a photographer to guide them.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 21, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    What I mean is that female subject's feet look much better when the toes are extended/elongated, as in here:
    306311730_onFGc-L.jpg

Typically I operate with a limited set of certain brief commands I teach my subject to understand at the beginning of the first shoot, since I would be using them countless times.
    "Toes!" is one of them, meaning "Would you be so kind and extend your toes for me, please!" mwink.gif
    This is especially important when dealing with non-pros (as in non-models), since vast majority of the regular folks simply don't know what pose/position looks good and what not, hence it's your responsibility as a photographer to guide them.

HTH

Oh! I see what you mean now...Thanks!
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    They are all really nice! And what a beautiful girl. Bet her parents have that shotgun readyrolleyes1.gifMy favorite is 5. Seems the most natural to me and most like a senior picture. The skin is a bit too smooth for me, but like I said, that is just me. Nicely done, I bet she loooves them!thumb.gif
  • 12nine12nine Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2010
    I think the shots are great! Maybe a little less whitening/ sharpening on the eyes, otherwise great work!
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    All shots are... awesome! clap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Great job on these, #8 is my fave!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    fantastic!

I agree the teeth might be a little over-whitened.
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    #2 .... The "eyes" have it!!!! FTW!

I'd like to see more variation on her facial expression (the smile).

Great shots! I agree, her dad better be out front cleaning the shot gun! (and I have two girls under 10, I better stock-pile right now!)
    edited October 22, 2010
    Thanks to eveyone for all the feedback.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    fantastic!

I agree the teeth might be a little over-whitened.

I think she's beautiful and you did a wonderful job with these portraits.
    The one thing that did stand out was the white teeth--the super duper white teeth. It is a huge pet peeve of mine, so maybe that's why it bothers me (ok it drives me crazy :D) Just my two cents.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    It's hard to call out a shortcoming in this set. I am sure your client is delighted with the result. If I had to call out anything, I might ask for a bit more Bokeh in number 7 and 8. Having said that, her face really pops in #8.

The only other thing I would add, and I think this was already mentioned, is that her smile is consistent in all but one. She seems to have the ability to modify her smile and still look natural as in #2. So there might have been an opportunity to add some variety.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    She is gorgeous, shots are gorgeous, reminds me of Farah Fawcett when she was younger. Would have loved to see some different expressions but wiht a smile like that, why not show it off!

Oh yeah, high school senior son gave here a big thumbs up!!!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires