Local demecratic candidates

mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited October 21, 2010 in People
So I got a call from a friend on Monday who asked if I could do some head shots and waist up shots for some local councilman? candidates. Apparently he has been designing some campaign materials for them and they didn't have any good photos to use. I was a little nervous but said why not. Lately I'm all about saying yes to any opportunity that presents itself no matter what. You never know what it may lead to.

So the shoot was a little tough to say the least, I met my friend at a local park and setup an SB600 in a shoot through umbrella at about 1/4 power. I had to use some coercion to get them in front of the camera, they were talking a lot of shop and stalling I think. Tried my best to get them comfortable to get some natural looking shots. Did I mention this was my first shoot with the d700:huh

C&C appreciated...

5102146806_f492b45590_o.jpg

Flash didn't fire here because I walked up past the sb600 but I think it came out a keeper anyway.
5102146798_387531323e_o.jpg

5101553181_64967a1a7e_o.jpg

5102146776_bc2aeb223c_o.jpg

5102146762_32e376982b_o.jpg

5102146770_b8717ffee9_o.jpg

5101553147_fef97419fa_o.jpg

5101553137_014af95ce7_o.jpg

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    I admire your "go for it" attitude. Considering the circumstances I think these came out fine. I'm having a bit of an issue with the sharpening which creaties a slight halo around the edges of the heads and torsos. This may just be my monitor or the way the web versions look. If not, I would suggest using it more selectively for key areas to give it dimension since these look to be tack sharp to begin with.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    These came out pretty good all things considered. They still wouldn't get my vote but the photos are great. :D
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    I admire your "go for it" attitude. Considering the circumstances I think these came out fine. I'm having a bit of an issue with the sharpening which creaties a slight halo around the edges of the heads and torsos. This may just be my monitor or the way the web versions look. If not, I would suggest using it more selectively for key areas to give it dimension since these look to be tack sharp to begin with.

Thanks, it's possible it's from my "re-size for web and sharpen" action. I can't see it, not saying it isn't there though.
    These came out pretty good all things considered. They still wouldn't get my vote but the photos are great. :D

rolleyes1.gif
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Great Job sir! Love the pics! Though I think it's spelled Democrat?ne_nau.gif (all in good fun)

I particularly like the fact that you took on a job that would scare most newer photogs away. I think all the pics look natural and the clients look powerful. Mission accomplishedthumb.gif
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Bsimon wrote: »
    Great Job sir! Love the pics! Though I think it's spelled Democrat?ne_nau.gif (all in good fun)

I particularly like the fact that you took on a job that would scare most newer photogs away. I think all the pics look natural and the clients look powerful. Mission accomplishedthumb.gif

lol I never said I could spellmwink.gif Thanks for comments, I tried looking up good poses for politicians but there wasn't much out there. I just didn't want these to look like a high school portrait or something.
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    They dont. And another reason I like them so much is that most political portraits are done with a solid blank background. These, im sure are done in or near the districts they represent.

Really like these my friend.