Colorado and Utah Trip 2010 - Infrared Images

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited January 18, 2011 in Landscapes
I was very fortunate again this year to be able to take a 10 day trip to Colorado and Utah. I went in 2008 and had a great time, so I decided to make the trip again this year. I left Dallas in my truck with my camera gear, a sleeping bag, food and my dog. :) I spent most nights sleeping in my truck, and most days at a McDonalds somewhere uploading rough drafts of my images to facebook.

I'm slowly working through processing my shots. I spent a lot of time shooting very large IR images this year. I have a self convertd infrared Canon 10D, and I decided to use my 1.8 50 to shoot large mosaic images. This gives me a big bump in overall resolution, and the 50 is very sharp and clear.

Here's a few of my IR images from the trip. Be sure to click on the image to view them LARGE! Also, if you have facebook, I would love for anyone to "like" my images while viewing them on my site. Thanks for viewing!

1056381832_rJyxh-L.jpg
Carbondale Valley, Colorado - 25 sources images

1056521932_mNa2u-L.jpg
Maroon Bells Valley, Colorado - 24 source images

1056561366_oKyoZ-L.jpg
Maroon Bells, Colorado - 16 source images

1056630867_mYhQQ-L.jpg
Maroon Lake, Colorado - 16 source images

1057657030_mfLG5-L.jpg
Turret Arch, Arches National Park UT - 20 source images

Thanks,

James

Comments

• jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    they are so amazing so whimsical like 2 and 4 are my favs:)
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    These are great - I really love #1. Such beautiful places in Colorado and Utah and you captured it beautifully.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Have to admit that I'm not usually a fan of IR so I clicked here cautiously...glad I did - these are awesome!
    Especially like the last two. Great composition/framing.
    Nice job
    E

ps - I 'liked' your last one mwink.gif
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I like 'em. Infrared is always something different, love the look.

Makes me want to go back.. and I just got back a week ago!
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I love these shots..... especially 1 & 4! I would love to get a hold of a second hand camera to convert to IR.... great stuff!!

Duncan
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I usually find something I don't like about every IR image I see, but that first shot... WOW, nothing. Great balance.
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    These are beautiful. I find IR to be fascinating.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Sorry for the late reply! Been pretty busy weather wise in North TX over the past few days, so I've been out shooting. :D

I really appreciate all of your comments, and thanks a bunch for the likes!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Brilliant job, really loved these.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 26, 2010
    Brilliant job, really loved these.

Thanks Awais! Glad you enjoyed them! :D
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 26, 2010
    A beautiful set of photos! And a good amount of dedication to shoot and stitch so many images. mwink.gif
    Every time I see great IR pictures, I say to myself that I have to take up IR photography. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited October 27, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    A beautiful set of photos! And a good amount of dedication to shoot and stitch so many images. mwink.gif
    Every time I see great IR pictures, I say to myself that I have to take up IR photography. :D

Ana

Thanks Anna! :D You should do it! I used my old Canon 10d, which are very cheap now. I did the conversion myself, and simply took off the IR blocking mirror completely. Works great!

James
  • HobbsyHobbsy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2010
    Great photos!! I am very keen to try the conversion> used to play with IR at weddings in analog.

Thanks for sharing
  • photoprophotopro Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    what did you shoot them with? was it converted?
    Aaron Eriksson
    Forever Moments
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    jamesl wrote: »
    Thanks Anna! :D You should do it! I used my old Canon 10d, which are very cheap now. I did the conversion myself, and simply took off the IR blocking mirror completely. Works great!

James

You're only the second person I know who's done this themselves, but now I'm curious. Having an IR body handy is priceless when you want to shoot midday. Nice work, James!
  • jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Nice set of images.....IR isn't something I've tried either, but I enjoy seeing other photographer's work. Thanks for sharing.
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Love this set James, your first shot is stunning! make a great wall hanger. I also love your last image of turret arch. nice work,
    edited November 29, 2010
    Hobbsy wrote: »
    Great photos!! I am very keen to try the conversion> used to play with IR at weddings in analog.

Thanks for sharing
    Sure thing! I've seen some IR wedding shots, but they can be tough. You don't get a lot of IR light indoors, which makes exposure times difficult. Also, focussing is difficult unless you actually replace the hot mirror with a piece of glass the same size. Good luck!
    photopro wrote: »
    what did you shoot them with? was it converted?
    These were shot with a Canon 10D coverted by myself. :) I took the camera apart and removed the hot mirror. I use a Hoya R72 filter. There are several companies that will also do the conversion for you, for a price. :)
    schmoo wrote: »
    You're only the second person I know who's done this themselves, but now I'm curious. Having an IR body handy is priceless when you want to shoot midday. Nice work, James!
    Thanks Schmoo! It took an afternoon to do the work. I had a set of instructions from the internet that really helped. I had intended to replace the mirror with a piece of glass that I had cut. However, with the 10D, the placement of the glass is difficult, and I decided once I had it all apart to just go al-natural. ;-)
    jeepr wrote: »
    Nice set of images.....IR isn't something I've tried either, but I enjoy seeing other photographer's work. Thanks for sharing.
    It's a whole new way of seeing things! I definitely recommend it.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Love this set James, your first shot is stunning! make a great wall hanger. I also love your last image of turret arch. nice work,
    Thanks a bunch Doug! I'm working on getting this latest set printed, but there are quite a few of them. :)
  • ir robbieir robbie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Beautifully processed Ir`s,very nice.Which software did you used?
    Ir fanatic
    edited January 18, 2011
    I'm sorry for the late reply. I used a number of software packages. Adobe ACR to convert from RAW, PTGui to stitch the panos, Photomatix to create the HDRs, and Photoshop CS5 to finalize the image. Thanks!