Options

Simulated Infrared

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited October 22, 2010 in Finishing School
I would appreciate some C&C on this image. It is an ironwood tree on lava on the island of Kauai, HI. In color it looked awful. It was taken mid-day. Ironwood foliage is a drab olivegreen, the lava looked ugly. It seemed like such a lovely scene in real life. Of course it is Hawaii and ones point of view gets a bit skewed.

I decided to try B&W. The rocks looked more interesting but the tree was still dreary. I tried Lightroom 3.2's canned simulated infrared preset and it started to perk up but there were some sharp halos around the rock cliff and the foliage/sky edges when I darkened the sky. So I started over and desaturated all the colors, fiddled with color temp and tint until I started to get light foliage, darker sky and definition in the rocks. Then used the luminosity sliders to darken the sky and lighten the foliage even more. The result is below.

I like it but I'm not sure why. I am not good at objectively evaluating my own images, especially since I am feeling a bit too clever right now, so I would appreciate your thoughts.

1058779332_MLWGp-L.jpg

The second version adds split-tone processing to the above. It is a fairly standard tone scheme of warm highlights, cool shadows. Does any of this work?

1058779068_QSzXK-L.jpg