Portrait Clarity Question

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited October 24, 2010 in People
Okay, I know you guys can help me answer this one.

I've noticed that some portrait photographers' work just really stand out with the clarity of their images. Obviously shooting low ISO, using the best f-stop for your lens and post processing can help, but is that what's doing it? Or, is it the lens? Does paying the money for high end glass really make THE difference?
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    what do you mean by clarity?

Good glass can make a world of difference if the technique behind it is solid. Post processing is extremely important as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I mean really sharp images. Crisp, clean...beyond just getting it in focus, but not over-sharpened in pp.
    Emily

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010

I've noticed that some portrait photographers' work just really stand out with the clarity of their images. Obviously shooting low ISO, using the best f-stop for your lens and post processing can help, but is that what's doing it? Or, is it the lens? Does paying the money for high end glass really make THE difference?

Sometimes yes, I think it can. I will say that my 135L - arguably one of Canon's finest fast primes - makes EVERY image taken with it look "better". It's hard to define what it is - it's not only sharpness, but a sort of "sparkle" to the image. Even bad pictures look better with it - there's a quality to the way it renders light that is consistently pleasing. Maybe somebody else can explain what the "it factor" is. Don't get me wrong, I've taken pictures with my other lenses that I was really happy with, but there is something about certain pieces of glass that definitely seems to have a kind of magic to it.
    edited October 22, 2010
    yup..then good glass is the key. Also focusing technique..ie pick a focal point and get it over the eye. From nikon side stick with the 1.4 primes or the 24-70mm.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Does paying the money for high end glass really make THE difference?

I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but there ain't no such thing as "THE difference." It all adds up, but yes, starting with good glass gives you a leg up. I've taken some pretty crappy images with some damn fine glass though :D.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but there ain't no such thing as "THE difference." It all adds up, but yes, starting with good glass gives you a leg up. I've taken some pretty crappy images with some damn fine glass though :D.

I agree. Most of my images with my 85mm, f1.4 lens go in the dumpster. Every once in a while, the lens produces an image that is quite spectacular. Frustrating!
    edited October 22, 2010
    All great input - thanks guys. Yes, divamum, I think what you're describing is what I'm talking about - an extra sparkle.

Maybe in clarifying my question - if my focusing and pp techniques are perfect, will spending $800+ for a lens be a wise choice and make a noticeable difference (assuming I am shooting for profit).
    Emily

• CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    All great input - thanks guys. Yes, divamum, I think what you're describing is what I'm talking about - an extra sparkle.

Maybe in clarifying my question - if my focusing and pp techniques are perfect, will spending $800+ for a lens be a wise choice and make a noticeable difference (assuming I am shooting for profit).

I was looking for the same thing and found it in Canon's less than $400 85mm f1.8. I was taking good pics with my kit lens (17-85 f4-5.6) but when I got the 85, the image just "popped". Image quality is NOTICEABLY better at 100% crop. Granted, I'm fairly limited in what I can do with just the 85 prime, but for my purposes (portraits), it really has helped to produce some really crisp shots. (with my fair share of clunkers, too!!)
    Chris Sowers
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    Image "pop" that is unrelated to over-sharpening is usually the result of controlling both global and local contrast. One thing you get with expensive lenses is superior local contrast/microcontrast.
    edited October 22, 2010

absolutely. color rendition, sharpness, overall contrast, local contrast will all be improved with nicer lens. Other then sharpness most of the other aspects of can be tweaked in post processing to an extent..it's just that SOOC the nicer lens will give you more keepers with less editing.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited October 22, 2010
    Fantastic answers guys - thanks so much! iloveyou.gif

Guess I know what I'll be saving my pennies for now...:D
    Emily

• MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I think it is all in the lighting.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I think it is the lens and then the camera and somewhere in there some great light. There are many times when I shoot images and at the moment the subject is not wowing me, and once I get it on my monitor it looks way better than what I saw in "real life" Somehow my camera lens etc makes it much prettier than being there in person.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I think there are a few factors including available light, knowing how to use it, which lens and the processing. It is a combo of all of the above, and in the hands of the right person this will all add up and make the difference. About the lensese though. I can tell you for sure that my 70-200 2.8 L IS will produce a TACK sharp, sparkly, brillilant photo when placed in the perfect light (with camera set appropriately). It ROCKS the world over my other lenses and blows me out of the water every time. Seriously, seriously, seriously, it can't be beat in my opinion. Oh and I think the camera makes the difference also. I shoot on a crappy ISO camera in indoors it just doesn't cut it. Outside I don't think you can tell the difference, but at anything over 400-max 800 I'm doomed inside. Oh and I'm with Qarik on SOOC and the good glass. Definately very true :)
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010

Post some examples and maybe the shooters responsible will chime in.
    edited October 23, 2010
    cj99si wrote: »
    Post some examples and maybe the shooters responsible will chime in.

VayCayMom's photos have what I'm referring to. Yes, the light is awesome (are you using reflectors, btw?) and the shots are in focus where they need to be, but there is extra crispness and sparkle. I could shoot right next to her with my D200 and 50mm f1.8 (the $120 version) and my images would be close, but not have that "thing". So, it would be the lens, or the pp, or both. My pp skills are not hideous, but I wonder if upgrading my lens will push my images that much farther.
    Emily

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    VayCayMom's photos have what I'm referring to. Yes, the light is awesome (are you using reflectors, btw?) and the shots are in focus where they need to be, but there is extra crispness and sparkle. I could shoot right next to her with my D200 and 50mm f1.8 (the $120 version) and my images would be close, but not have that "thing". So, it would be the lens, or the pp, or both. My pp skills are not hideous, but I wonder if upgrading my lens will push my images that much farther.

Well now that I am back up in my chair, lol, I'd like to comment on the shots at the end of the link Greensquared posted. I went back and numbered the images, and I'd be happy to explain how they got to the finished product.

I have a Nikon d700, still learning what the buttons do and trying to master autofocus.
    My favorite lenses are my 50 1.4 and my new 24 - 70. This shoot was early in the AM.

1. that light was all added pp. I love Nik Efex pro, it has a function to lighten the insides and darken the outside edges.

2 same for this image, I really disliked the color tones in this image but as hard as I tried to change in PP I had to accept that everything really was rosey/peach in that spot, background and kids!

3. Backlit and a lot of PP to lighten the faces. I used some fun new stuff from Florabella, called Lux.

4. Ahh I take some great pictures in this tree and it is on location! The trick is he is facing the sun but in the shade close to the edge. I hit the exposure pretty well and the boy has amazing skin color. I toned down the reds and used some sharpening action to make it crisp and it helps pop the eyes. I used Kubota Actions for the most part, but just sharpening and clarity stuff. I love The Edge from this group for sharpening. It also seems to deepen the color and contrast a bit.

5 all done in PP, once again Nik darken/lighten feature, color popping etc.

6 , 7 , 8... my husband is holding a light reflector, silver and gold striped. He is holding it just right in 6, decent in 7 and not so good in 7! Look at the rock the little boy is sitting on , it is bright in 6, but not in 8, I had to add a lot of PP to make the 2 images somewhat match.

9 backlit again and PP, the sky is totally blown out.

10 she is in the same tree as the boy is in #4. The light there is awesome, her face is so open and bouncing the indirect light back. I only did some sharpening here, her eyes are so big and so light if I would have tried to pop them they would have looked fake. I most likely used that action The Edge from Kubota, and maybe a clarifying action.

My other secret is the same one I use to have the most beautiful house plants ever..... I throw away the bad ones and no one ever sees them!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited October 23, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Well now that I am back up in my chair, lol, I'd like to comment on the shots at the end of the link Greensquared posted. I went back and numbered the images, and I'd be happy to explain how they got to the finished product.

I have a Nikon d700, still learning what the buttons do and trying to master autofocus.
    My favorite lenses are my 50 1.4 and my new 24 - 70. This shoot was early in the AM.

1. that light was all added pp. I love Nik Efex pro, it has a function to lighten the insides and darken the outside edges.

2 same for this image, I really disliked the color tones in this image but as hard as I tried to change in PP I had to accept that everything really was rosey/peach in that spot, background and kids!

3. Backlit and a lot of PP to lighten the faces. I used some fun new stuff from Florabella, called Lux.

4. Ahh I take some great pictures in this tree and it is on location! The trick is he is facing the sun but in the shade close to the edge. I hit the exposure pretty well and the boy has amazing skin color. I toned down the reds and used some sharpening action to make it crisp and it helps pop the eyes. I used Kubota Actions for the most part, but just sharpening and clarity stuff. I love The Edge from this group for sharpening. It also seems to deepen the color and contrast a bit.

5 all done in PP, once again Nik darken/lighten feature, color popping etc.

6 , 7 , 8... my husband is holding a light reflector, silver and gold striped. He is holding it just right in 6, decent in 7 and not so good in 7! Look at the rock the little boy is sitting on , it is bright in 6, but not in 8, I had to add a lot of PP to make the 2 images somewhat match.

9 backlit again and PP, the sky is totally blown out.

10 she is in the same tree as the boy is in #4. The light there is awesome, her face is so open and bouncing the indirect light back. I only did some sharpening here, her eyes are so big and so light if I would have tried to pop them they would have looked fake. I most likely used that action The Edge from Kubota, and maybe a clarifying action.

My other secret is the same one I use to have the most beautiful house plants ever..... I throw away the bad ones and no one ever sees them!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Wow, thanks for all of the great info! So...you do have a higher quality lens, but also do some different pp than I have used. I can't wait to play around with some of that! I think I'll do a free trial on the Nik software and try it on a recent shoot, and see what I can get. I hope it's ok if I post on People for critiques!

I
    Emily

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    There is a reason they make expensive cameras and less expensive cameras....expensive lenses, less expensive lenses....prime lenses and zooms....light meters......various types of lighting and modifers. It boils down to how do you use all of them in combinations and knowing you equipment.

Look at what the masters of 30 and 40 years ago did with their today outdated, antiquated, worthless equipment. WOW, many of the images still kick our butts.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Also, don't discount the difference between VayCay's FF d700 and crop - I'm starting to realise just how the DOF offered from a FF camera (vs a crop) looks, and how much it changes the overall "feel" of an image when that difference is invoked.
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I think the glass is the difference. I believe there's a reason the high end lenses cost so much. Higher $$ lenses usually mean faster. Aside from more physical glass to allow for more light to be transmitted, the quality of that glass has got to be better in it's abilty to transmit light and color rendition. I work in broadcast video, and I know TV lens manufacturers hand pick the glass for their HD lensing. This would include Canon.
    From a still perspective, I see marked differences between images shot with my Nikon 70-300 vs my 24-70. The sharpness is amazing with the 24-70.
    edited October 23, 2010
    Froch wrote: »
    I think the glass is the difference. I believe there's a reason the high end lenses cost so much. Higher $$ lenses usually mean faster. Aside from more physical glass to allow for more light to be transmitted, the quality of that glass has got to be better in it's abilty to transmit light and color rendition. I work in broadcast video, and I know TV lens manufacturers hand pick the glass for their HD lensing. This would include Canon.
    From a still perspective, I see marked differences between images shot with my Nikon 70-300 vs my 24-70. The sharpness is amazing with the 24-70.

Yes, I am really believing now that there is a very good reason for the higher $$ beyond the lens just being faster (although that's definitely a factor). Light, technique and post are all critical factors, but equipment can be an advantage. And yes, I agree that amazing shots can happen with the most basic of equiment too, but the more tools in your toolbox, the greater the possibilities.
    Emily

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    No and Yes
    I am going to disagree that it's all lenses. I have a bunch of L glass but also have some consumer glass.

It is all about light. It's about distance to the subject. Good glass is helpful, but, I can tell you that it's not all about the equipment. It helps.'
    I won't trade my Canon 50 1.2 or 135 2.0.

When I was shooting film and bought my first digital camera, I went on a trip to Nova Scotia. Left the battery back in the room and went to Peggy's Cove. Bought a disposable camera. Yes, it was film, but, those images are on my wall today. Cardboard camera with crappy lens. No post processing. 100 ASA film by Kodak. It;s all the factors that make a photograph. Light, distance, iso, process. It's how you hold the camera and position it to the light. How still you are.

Don't take any one component and make it worth more. I have a photograph taken with my Palm Centrino. It's of a piece of bread at a deli. Sharp as a tack. Used the canned light above the table. Sharp sharp sharp. I get a bunch of comments about the bread being real.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Think it's the camera instead of what you knowledge base is?????

Check this out. http://fstoppers.com/iphone/
    edited October 24, 2010
    That's just embarassing. On the other hand, I'll never have to "upgrade" my cameras again as long as I live.
    John :
    edited October 24, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Think it's the camera instead of what you knowledge base is?????

Check this out. http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

No, that's not really what I was asking. I totally get the knowledge base limitations. You can have all the best equipment in the world and still shoot junk if you don't have the knowledge, experience and creativity to use it well. And you can have the most basic of cameras, very little knowledge and experience, yet shoot awesome images because of your creativity alone.

It was more a precise question of, all other factors aside, do a prime lenses add that much more recognizable quality to an image that cannot be achieved with post processing alone.
    Emily

edited October 24, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Also, don't discount the difference between VayCay's FF d700 and crop - I'm starting to realise just how the DOF offered from a FF camera (vs a crop) looks, and how much it changes the overall "feel" of an image when that difference is invoked.

Hmmm...ok, I'm trying to grasp this one. Is it like the equivalent of shooting 35mm vs. medium format? Or is there more to it than that? How is the DOF affected?
    Emily

edited October 24, 2010
    In a nut shell, the larger sensor means a shallower DOF at a given magnification. That's why little P&S cameras have such impressive "macro" focusing.
    John :