Need Image import S/W for Mac that will change IMG_9887 to 2010-10-20_5D_9887

henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Finishing School
I need software that will run on a Mac (latest version) that will allow me to move images from a media card, and rename them at the same time using the following scheme:

Original name:

IMG_9887.jpg (or whatever extension)

Assume:

1. camera is a Canon 5D (sw reads EXIF and uses appropriate abbreviation)

2. picture was taken October 10, 2010

3. download being done on October 22, 2010

I would like to designate the destination folder which would be created in a designated location, and be named with the date of the download (Downloader Pro does this).

Example of the destination folder and file name:

F:/Primary Data/Primary Image Data/2010/Downloads/2010-10-22/2010-10-20_5D_9887.jpg

Even better if the software will put a safety copy in another location at the same time.

Hyphens in the date are not mandatory (haven't actually been using hyphens, but it would add clarity).

Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems does this in the Windows environment, but I haven't been able to find anything that will do this on a Mac.

I'm investigating if Aperture 3.1 has added this capability (3.0.3 doesn't). No mention in the 3.1 Release notes.

I suspect that Lightroom 3.2 will do this, but I'm not certain, and that would be a costly solution if I'm going to settle on Aperture as my primary image organization and post processing tool.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My fallback is to continue using Downloader Pro running Windows 7 under Parallels.

Comments

• knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    ImageIngester
    Take a look at ImageIngester. I have been very happy with it in the Windows world. The website states it is also available for OS X.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I have not used these as I use LightRoom, but it would seem that a file renamer would do most of the tasks you outline. I use a utility like this at work quite a bit, but not on my Mac. The one that seems to have the EXIF info extraction is http://www.filerenamer.com/ but a quick google found these other ones http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/ or http://www.lockergnome.com/osx/2006/11/22/a-good-free-file-renamer-for-the-mac/ or http://lifehacker.com/352278/file-list-smart-batch-file-renamer
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 23, 2010
    LR 3 will convert to DNG or copy, rename, and output files to two separate hard drives all at the same time.

Whenever I download from my CF cards from my cameras, the files are converted to dng and written to two separate external hard drives all at the same time. I do not rename my files, but that can be done also. via the File Renaming block in the right side of the panels for importing files in LR3.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    If you have Photoshop, the photo downloader ("Get Photos from Camera") in the included Bridge browser has an advanced renaming facility similar to the one in Lightroom and should be able to achieve this on import including the backup copy.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    In addition to the above, NameMangler works well, too.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    If you don't have Photoshop/Bridge and want a free option - I hate to state the obvious :P but have you tried the free Canon Utilities software that came with your camera or is available as a download from their website? I use the EOS Viewer Utility to do exactly what you're looking for - transfer my RAW files from my card to a specified folder on my computer and rename the files. I have mine set so all of my files begin with an 8 digit date code (date taken), then it appends the file number from the camera and copies the image files to my designated destination folder.

It might not be obvious when you first load Viewer, but after selecting the images, instead of selecting Transfer select Convert and Save File in the File Menu. Select your destination folder, Under Output Settings check Do Not Convert, under File Name uncheck Do Not Modify and enter your desired file naming.

I don't use it for any of the file editing/RAW adjustments/RAW conversions it can do, I just use it to transfer and rename my files when I want a good look at what's on my card before transferring. It's a superfast way to take a quick look at the images before you transfer (double click on thumb to bring up larger image), including the histogram and IPTC/EXIF info (you can also enter IPTC info in this program if you want). I actually use EOS Viewer to transfer image files more than I use Get Photos in Photoshop.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Between Image Capture and Automator (both installed by OS X, free) I’ll bet you can make this work. Otherwise, Lightroom sure is a great application for doing this and of course, so much more.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Knapph: I got ImageIngester, and liked it just fine. But:

Sam and others: I finally bit the bullet and did a cross-platform upgrade from CS-3 Win to CS-5 Mac, plus Lightroom 3, so I'm fully launched with my new tools.

I have a new mentor who I will probably tell you about soon, too. She takes incredible pictures all over the world, and hopefully she'll share some of them here, soon.

Skip
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    henrytd wrote: »
    Knapph: I got ImageIngester, and liked it just fine. But:

Sam and others: I finally bit the bullet and did a cross-platform upgrade from CS-3 Win to CS-5 Mac, plus Lightroom 3, so I'm fully launched with my new tools.

I have a new mentor who I will probably tell you about soon, too. She takes incredible pictures all over the world, and hopefully she'll share some of them here, soon.

Skip

I am pleased grasshopper. Now send me a hogie!!! :D

Sam