Old Abandoned Jail Visit

Dr TDr T Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited October 25, 2010 in People
A few photographers and models were able to visit this old abandoned jail. We had a lot of fun and got some great pics.

Check out the whole gallery here

C&C appreciated
Torsten

1057200562_dpwuz-L-2.jpg

1057201149_N3C5p-L-2.jpg

1057202745_WV7XV-L-2.jpg

1057203934_URq7i-L-2.jpg

1057211544_6WY9c-L-1.jpg

1057212076_YcjHC-L-1.jpg

1057214089_9uqFG-L-1.jpg
Slow down and get the shot,
Dr. T
Canon 5D, 75-300 f/4-5.6, 28-75 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, Lensbaby
|Blog|Twitter|Facebook|

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Hate to see a thread die without any comments.

Just my opinions here, and I could be wrong, but. . .

I think I've seen a few jail/mental hospital threads in landscapes or journeys, and they often have a dark feel to them. Overall, I'm not really sure you have a unified theme or feel to your set. Many of them ( I did look at your gallery) don't really even say "jail" to me. Nothing says "horror" to me that much either. Was this shoot for halloween costumes or something else or was it just a personal fun shoot?

The first three do have a very professional fashion feel to them, though I am not a fan of the halo effect of #1 or the OOF look of #3. Actually I'm not a fan of that sort of fashion photography (the expression/pose I mean) either, BUT, your images immediately make me think of that sort of thing, so good job there.

#4: What are you trying to do here? I'm getting the idea that this shoot was for some sort of online halloweeen costume company. The photos can't be too maccabre but you want to have a good setting for the "naughty nurse" costume. But what's up with the guy here? He doesn't look like a patient or guard so not sure why he his here. (oh, just noticed the syringe, what is he, a tourist then?)

#5(or 6 according to the number), The clothing and lighting isn't giving me a "horror" feeling which is what I think you are trying to do with the head.

#7 Like the idea. My suggestion would be to put some blood on the knife to give it that just used look. My eye is immediately led to the knife, but it looks out of place compared to the rest of the costume. Is there anything you could do to get the model to "pop" a bit perhaps? Either with the lighting or even have it look like she is coming at you?

#8 Again, is this in a prison?

Again, I'm not sure I'm thinking prison in most of these shot.

As this is in your "models" section, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but in nearly all of the shots, one or both of the models are looking at you, but not in an interactive way. Like with #4, Naughty Nurse and tourist are not really interacting with each other. 7/8 are the same way. I don't feel like this is my point of view, coming in on some sort of crazy scene, but more like a posed shot or portrait. Again, maybe this shoot is more about having their faces front and center rather than creating a mood or drawing viewers into the scene.

Not sure if it is me or you, but with your gallery, is there anyway to make the photos a bit bigger without having to click twice on them? I click on one photo and a very small photo pops on on the right. Then I have to click that to get a bigger photo. Seems to take a lot of time and clicks to get something big enought to see.

Cool wheel of sparks shot in the Salt Flats gallery by the way. Worth the 2 clicks to see it. :)
  • Dr TDr T Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Yeah this was a model/photographer meetup there was no real theme to the shoot. People just came as whatever.
    I guess if you wanted to see a bigger photo you could just click one and then press the arrow keys and they stay in that window in the big size.
    Thanks about the Salt Flats gallery, to make that effect you just get some steel wool put it in a small wire basket and spin it around.
    Dr. T
    |Blog|Twitter|Facebook|
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Dr T wrote: »
    Yeah this was a model/photographer meetup there was no real theme to the shoot. People just came as whatever.
    I guess if you wanted to see a bigger photo you could just click one and then press the arrow keys and they stay in that window in the big size.
    Thanks about the Salt Flats gallery, to make that effect you just get some steel wool put it in a small wire basket and spin it around.

Wow, sounds interesting. Do you have to spin it fast? How do you spin in? Just hold it in your hand?
  • Dr TDr T Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Wow, sounds interesting. Do you have to spin it fast? How do you spin in? Just hold it in your hand?

Yeah you just light it on fire and spin it in your hand, defiantly want a handle on your basket. Spin it fast for sure.
    Dr. T
    |Blog|Twitter|Facebook|