More Labor Day Fun

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited September 8, 2005 in People
I went to Buffalo Indiana this weekend with my cousins to their summer house on the river (can't remember the name doh). I really only see them on holidays and family birthdays so it was great to see them. I was especially glad to see the little ones, Zoe and Ashley who are 4 and 7. Hopefully I have learned a little from Windoze and Adrian van Ammers because I always love seeing their kids and grandkids. But now that I look at my own pictures I realize hindsight really is 20/20. I can critique photos much better than I can take them, including my own. So let me know what you think so maybe I'll learn something and actually put it into practice next time. First critique I have for myself is that I completely forgot to check my ISO setting and was using ISO 400 in the middle of the bright day, so there is some unnecesary noise in some of the pictures. Here it goes.

Click the pics for exif

First is little Zoe, she kept posing for me on the swing set, which turned out really cute but was a pain to focus on.
35006104-L.jpg
35004033-L.jpg

Next is Ashley who is way too mature for her age. But she isn't responsible all the time. She kept ending up with fruit punch mustaches the whole weekend.
35004480-L.jpg

What is a campfire without toasting marshmallows and making smores?
35005165-L.jpg
35005333-L.jpg

So who made these adorable little girls, my first cousin Lidia and her husband Eddie. You would never guess where the girls got thier silly streak from.
35004694-L.jpg

Check out that mullet!
35004540-L.jpg

And there was the ever vigilant Grandpa watching the girls and making sure the parents weren't too hard on his little angels.
35004795-L.jpg

And if grandpa wasn't around then Pumkin the fierce guard dog was in charge.
35004747-L.jpg

The kids finally went to sleep and it was party time till 4AM every night.
35005738-L.jpg
35005658-L.jpg

Well that was my weekend, I hope everyone else had a good time in whatever they did. So that is my family, I hope you have enjoyed them as much as I do.

In case anyone is wondering I used a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS for all the daytime pictures except 3 and 7, in those I used a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro. All the night time pictures were taken with a Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. All but the 7th, 8th, and 9th used a 580EX flash.

Nick
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Nice photos! I find that the 70-200 is just too much zoom for people pictures personally. Also like the flash on the girl in the swing, makes the image look much better.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    :) FUn series Glu. OMG an iPod and a mullet rolleyes1.gif.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Nice photos! I find that the 70-200 is just too much zoom for people pictures personally. Also like the flash on the girl in the swing, makes the image look much better.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. I'm still learning how to really use the flash but it seams to be helping so far. I agree that the 70-200 is too long for people but it is the sharpest lens besides my 100mm Prime so i used it. I'm looking for a [thread=18152]50mm f/1.4 in the flea market[/thread] if anyone has one they are trying to get rid of.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited September 7, 2005
    :) FUn series Glu. OMG an iPod and a mullet rolleyes1.gif.
    Haha. Well I'm only related to him through marriage hehelol8.gif.
    Eddie is a huge White Sox fan and was a little disgruntled that he would miss the annual mullet night at Comisky which was on Friday night. I had to keep an eye on him though, once he figured out my 580EX would work on his Canon G6 he kept eyeing it Oogle_anim.gif.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    the girls are great and cute
    the dog is precious
    I can relate to Grandpa what a guy thumb.gif
    but the Mullett got to go rolleyes1.gif :lol4
    edited September 7, 2005
    Thanks Ben. Everyone's always gotta rag on the mullet though don't they.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited September 7, 2005
    Does anyone have any suggestions about getting rid of the noise. I think I have some good family photos here but the noise is driving me absolutely crazy.bncry.gifsad.gif1zhelp.gif15524733-Ti.gif

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited September 7, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Does anyone have any suggestions about getting rid of the noise. I think I have some good family photos here but the noise is driving me absolutely crazy.bncry.gifsad.gif1zhelp.gif15524733-Ti.gif

Nick

What software do you have? The noise isn't bothering me at this size. Might at full size though. Whos the girl in the grey with the miller light. We know who everyone else is pretty much but her.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited September 7, 2005
    Sorry Gary, she's taken mwink.gif

The guy to her left is Stashu, Ricky's (the grandpa) best friend and neighbor in Indiana (although both are from DesPlaines). The girl in grey is Carrie, Stashu's sons girlfriend. She said she never shows her teeth in pictures, and didn't in any of the pictures she posed in with people, except for these two, and that is why I put these two up, she looks much happier smiling and showing her teeth. Hope that explaines it.

I agree that the noise is tolerable at this size but my family and I want to print some of these out. I wish I had checked my ISO settings bncry.gif. I use CS2 and ACR. All were shot in RAW + JPG but I didn't like the color of the JPG's. I think I overexposed the shots in ACR. I'll try re-processing them and see if I can get them better. I have heard some people talk about Noise Ninja, is it worth the $80 for the Pro Bundle?

Thanks for taking the time to comment Gary

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited September 8, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Sorry Gary, she's taken mwink.gif

The guy to her left is Stashu, Ricky's (the grandpa) best friend and neighbor in Indiana (although both are from DesPlaines). The girl in grey is Carrie, Stashu's sons girlfriend. She said she never shows her teeth in pictures, and didn't in any of the pictures she posed in with people, except for these two, and that is why I put these two up, she looks much happier smiling and showing her teeth. Hope that explaines it.

I agree that the noise is tolerable at this size but my family and I want to print some of these out. I wish I had checked my ISO settings bncry.gif. I use CS2 and ACR. All were shot in RAW + JPG but I didn't like the color of the JPG's. I think I overexposed the shots in ACR. I'll try re-processing them and see if I can get them better. I have heard some people talk about Noise Ninja, is it worth the $80 for the Pro Bundle?

Thanks for taking the time to comment Gary

Nick
    I haven't tried NN yet but for small amounts of noise the actions on FM.com is good.

Laughing.gif as far as her being taken, well she lives to far anyways and I don't think I could date a girl who drank Miller Light :puke. Besides who has time for dating, between school, travel, work, photography, etc,. But we did know who most of the other people in the pictures were so we might as well get to know the rest. :D Hmmm I guess people are right when they tell me I ask to many questions.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited September 8, 2005
    I haven't tried NN yet but for small amounts of noise the actions on FM.com is good.

Laughing.gif as far as her being taken, well she lives to far anyways and I don't think I could date a girl who drank Miller Light :puke. Besides who has time for dating, between school, travel, work, photography, etc,. But we did know who most of the other people in the pictures were so we might as well get to know the rest. :D Hmmm I guess people are right when they tell me I ask to many questions.
    I say ask away until people stop responding! And by the way, she was just drinking Miler Light because she had run out of Oldstyle friday.gif

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited September 8, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I say ask away until people stop responding! And by the way, she was just drinking Miler Light because she had run out of Oldstyle friday.gif

Nick
    Oldstyle eh. Never tried it. I'm more of a cronona or heineken guy myself.
    www.zxstudios.com