Options

How many of you...

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 24, 2010 in Weddings
...have covered multiple days for some cultural weddings? I have a pricing question that I'd like to pm. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    You're welcome to PM me, but I think it's pretty simple actually. I do more travel weddings than "cultural" weddings, but the concept is the same.

Have an hourly rate, a half-day rate, and a full-day rate. ...And an "unlimited" rate, if you feel your body can take it.

If they want you for 2-3 days at a time, then just create a multi-day package that has roughly that many hours in it.

If the package is getting huge, then you can definitely start throwing in free coverage, but you gotta be careful not to over-work yourself. I personally have a rule that I don't do more than 8 hrs of work back-to-back. The quality of my work suffers if I'm bug-eyed and achey. If you've ever had a "wedding photographer hangover", you know what I mean... OUCH.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Thanks, Matt, that was very illuminating. I decided to just add an hourly rate for the extra hours since it's really only a 3 hour wedding for the 1st day followed by a 5 hour reception the next day. Easy-piecey.

Appreciated the help!
  • Options
    photogerphotoger Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2010
    I see you've go tit sorted but Matt answered the question perfectly! We have all day coverage for all our weddings and if they want a second day then it is just double. In saying that, if it is a destination wedding and they are paying for flights, accom etc... then we will usually shoot the day before or the day after included :)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    marikris wrote: »
    Thanks, Matt, that was very illuminating. I decided to just add an hourly rate for the extra hours since it's really only a 3 hour wedding for the 1st day followed by a 5 hour reception the next day. Easy-piecey.

Appreciated the help!
    Yep, it is important to keep things simple. Simple is even better (in the client's subconscious) than saving a few bucks, sometimes.

So, just a straightforward policy works best. Hourly, half-day, full-day, and/or unlimited. Or if your body can handle it, have a "short day" for the tiny, quickie weddings, then unlimited for everything else.

Both business models work great, I know plenty of successful pros who charge "extra hour" fees, and I know plenty of successful pros who firmly believe in the unlimited coverage business model. :-) Either way, one important thing is to always appear generous to your clients. Throw in an extra hour or two, especially if the wedding is local and you already know a handful of the guests. (Past clients, etc.) Stuff like that will go a lot further than achieving some sort of "perfect" price sheet etc. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum