Options

Lens hood adaptor

kengladekenglade Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited October 25, 2010 in Technique
I recently purchased a used Tokina 12-24, but it came without a hood. I've been trying for weeks to find a replacement hood, designated a BH-777, without success. I got a hood for the Nikon 12-24 hoping it would fit but it is too small. Does nayone know of a way to adapt that Nikon hood to the Tokina. Or should I even worry about it and just keep shooting without a hood?

Comments

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I gave up trying to modify one to fit another years ago, and just used the collapsable rubber filter-thread-screw-in ones if I could not find an inexpensive replacement.

There are numerous filter-thread hoods out there that might work without vignetting at the wide setting, but e-bay lists your original hood .. at US$54 if you feel you need one that badly.

While I prefer to use lens hoods (more often than not for lens protection use), with just a little bit of planning you can often avoid the "need" for one.

FWIW, I think it is downright theivery and gross profiteering to charge as much as name-brands do for 5 cents worth of molded plastic (and which for Canon and Nikon lenses can be ordered from third-party vendors for under $10, often under $5, international shipping included).
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    I gave up trying to modify one to fit another years ago, and just used the collapsable rubber filter-thread-screw-in ones if I could not find an inexpensive replacement.

There are numerous filter-thread hoods out there that might work without vignetting at the wide setting, but e-bay lists your original hood .. at US$54 if you feel you need one that badly.

While I prefer to use lens hoods (more often than not for lens protection use), with just a little bit of planning you can often avoid the "need" for one.

FWIW, I think it is downright theivery and gross profiteering to charge as much as name-brands do for 5 cents worth of molded plastic (and which for Canon and Nikon lenses can be ordered from third-party vendors for under $10, often under $5, international shipping included).

I agree on the thievery. if I'm not mistaken, the eBay offer is either from Taiwan or Australia so would have to figure in a hefty shipping prices as well. I can't understand why Tokina doesn't offer this product to the US market; while searching I ran across numerous photographers asking the same question: Where to find the hood.

I don't think it's worth $54 + shipping. As you say, planning may be paramount. As for protection, I currently am using a relatively inexpensive filter which I can remove while shooting since lens caps tend to disappear.

I appreciate your response.

Ken
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »

Many thanks, Art. I saw those listings earlier but I refuse to pay $38 - $54 for a lens hood, especially when they're coming from Taiwan. The UK site is fascinating; what an unusual concept: print the diagram on heavy paper, then cut it out. I'm going to have to try that.

Ken
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,899 moderator
    edited October 24, 2010
    Remember that a lens hood is an accessory that can both improve the performance of the lens and help to protect the front element of the lens as well as protecting the filter threads and absorbing shock from the accidental knock or drop. It is much easier to justify the cost if you think of it that way and before damage occurs to the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Remember that a lens hood is an accessory that can both improve the performance of the lens and help to protect the front element of the lens as well as protecting the filter threads and absorbing shock from the accidental knock or drop. It is much easier to justify the cost if you think of it that way and before damage occurs to the lens.

You're right. I think about that and then I think about the price and I think I'm being ripped off. Why hasn't Tokina or a third party jumped in to manufacture enough hoods to meet demand? I mean $54 for a plastic hood? Available only abroad? Just doesn't sound right.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    kenglade wrote: »
    You're right. I think about that and then I think about the price and I think I'm being ripped off. Why hasn't Tokina or a third party jumped in to manufacture enough hoods to meet demand? I mean $54 for a plastic hood? Available only abroad? Just doesn't sound right.
    $39.95 in the US thumb.gif (it says it is for that lens anyway)

I think it is worth it; all my lenses have hoods, I rarely shoot without them.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    $39.95 in the US thumb.gif (it says it is for that lens anyway)

I think it is worth it; all my lenses have hoods, I rarely shoot without them.

That hood is the BH779; the hood for the 12-24 is BH777. I suspect the 779 is for the 11-16.

The only listings i can find for the 777 are in Taiwan or Australia. Very frustrating.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    That hood is the BH779; the hood for the 12-24 is BH777. I suspect the 779 is for the 11-16.

The only listings i can find for the 777 are in Taiwan or Australia. Very frustrating.
    That page I linked says it is for the 12-24.

Google for the 779 and you can find other people using it on your lens. Maybe it just a new version of the 777?
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    That page I linked says it is for the 12-24.

Google for the 779 and you can find other people using it on your lens. Maybe it just a new version of the 777?

I'll give it a shot. What the heck, i can always return it. Thanks four help. I'll let you know.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Both the original and the mk II page on the BH website have a link to this hood, if you look under hoods and covers. Seems like a cheaper 3rd party version?
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Both the original and the mk II page on the BH website have a link to this hood, if you look under hoods and covers. Seems like a cheaper 3rd party version?

That's interesting. I earlier bought a Nikon 77mm hood figuring 77mm was 77mm. But it doesn't fit the Tokina. Too small.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Many thanks, Art. I saw those listings earlier but I refuse to pay $38 - $54 for a lens hood, especially when they're coming from Taiwan. The UK site is fascinating; what an unusual concept: print the diagram on heavy paper, then cut it out. I'm going to have to try that.

Ken

There is one on there for $11.00 +free shipping & and 1 for $7.95 + FREE shipping.......my last several lens hoods came from china and I paid from $5.99 to $12.00 all with free shipping......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    That's interesting. I earlier bought a Nikon 77mm hood figuring 77mm was 77mm. But it doesn't fit the Tokina. Too small.

77MM is normally thread size of the filter threads.....since most lens hoods are over lens connections then depending on how thick the lens barrel is can make a big difference..............

• Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    77MM is normally thread size of the filter threads.....since most lens hoods are over lens connections then depending on how thick the lens barrel is can make a big difference..............

Thanks, Art. I'm constantly amazed by how much I don't know.