Something a little different

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 26, 2010 in People
Different from my usual style, that is!!!

All that talk about HK got me itching to try some, and since we needed to do a dry run on Mini-D's Diva-a-Gaga Halloween costume, I thought why not. The frustrations of attempting HK with only 2 flashes in a too-small space continue, but at least I remembered to flag the bg light this time (SCORE!). In fact, if I'd been shooting for these crops it would have been easy, but I was trying for full length and 3/4 - sadly, none of those are that good so none to share, but these were kind of fun.

Oh, and parents, this is what happens when they outgrow the cute little pumpkin costumes and Disney Princesses. EEEK!! Where'd my baby go?!?!??! :yikes (NB: if anybody thinks these are a bit, uh, much for a 12 year old and I should pull them, tell me. Photographer I may be, but I'm a mommy first and foremost :D. I swear that there were plenty of goofy shots in between her doing her best Lady Gaga impersonations!!!)

1. All about the eyelashes :) I think this one's my favorite of the shoot

1060357844_3czxu-L.jpg

1060238848_9eQDy-L.jpg

3. I know I blew the highlights on this, but I still kinda like it - I'm still working on versions which recover more detail in the hair
1060238869_yJbK4-L.jpg

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Well it would be a perfect entry for the challenges going on right now. I had to do a double take to see if it was your daughter. You have done so many wonderful shots of her. AS far as these in the spirit of what they are they are great. I too have been through what you are going through.
    I will pray for you.:Drolleyes1.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Diva these are FUN!! one is fav for me. Three is interesting- I think her face needs brought back a little if possible and two -not sure does only one of her hands have black lace and I think I need to see a little neck- I remember kitty ears??? growing up so fast! Mine just started high school (if I remember right yours is right behind)?
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Great shots, love the lashes!
    12 yrs old you say...quick math puts me at 8 1/2 more years...oy vey.
    Chris Sowers
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I only skimmed through your intro, I am not doing real lighting yet so the jargon was foreign, and I don't know enough about gaga to recognize a impersonator, doesn't she do the same stuff madonna did? Well the pink lashes were intriguing and the look to me was a bit Asian, I am thinking is this a college girl here or what. I look at the second image and I think I KNOW that face Laughing.gif.
    It is a great way for mother and daughter to incorporate their interests. And a very safe way for lil diva to experiment and lucky YOU she feels good about expressing herself with you!!! I believe giving kids some freedom will help prevent them from going off the deep end when they get to college and going nuts! My girls agree!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Thanks all! Yes, she's 12 - 7th grade this year. No more kitty ears :cry

We did have fun figuring out the makeup - she wasn't really completely "into" modeling today (not helped because I was struggling with my lights and getting frustrated that I couldn't concentrate on directing/posing because of tech difficulties elsewhere), but it was still fun and I'm so pleased to have the shots of her. She's pretty much over the whole "sitting for mom" thing, so I have to pick my occasions wisely and make sure there's something in it for her too rolleyes1.gif

Yes, Trudy, Lady G is quite Madonna-esque (although if I say that, I'm just SOOOOO out of date MOOOOOOMMMMMM. I mean really - 1980s? Might as well be prehistoric lol3.gif)
    edited October 25, 2010
    Rework of #3 above - still blown highlights (grr!!) but more detail?

1063141987_5jzpM-L.jpg

And... despite the seriously, seriously blown highlights, I love the goofiness of this, and those incredible anime eyes she has :D. I know - it's useless as a "real" photo, but I love it as a mom!! Big sigh - this shoot is worst I've ever done with highlights although I'll take it as a good lesson in greater caution in case I'm ever presented with shiny blonde hair in a more critical shoot!!!!

1063148404_2g3b3-L.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Fun stuff thumb.gif
    Yeah, HK gets trickier when you have to incorporate more and more stuff closer to the ground. Knowing that simple fact can save you a lot of frustration. deal.gif
    I guess you've learned it the hard way by now mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Looks like a fun set. I do not envy the parents in today's digital age, I think you are handling it well. Nothing that is out of place or inappropriate. Oh yeah, IMHO if the picture is a smile maker for you, it is a "real" pictre thumb.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 26, 2010
    Thanks BB and Nik. Yeah, trying to do a full length HK - even on a short person (!) - in a room that is WAY too small just isn't going to work. The living room in my teeny-tiny 1928 house (the only space I have to shoot) officially measures 9.5x14, but once you include the furniture it's cramped in there! I make it work uite well for headshots, but anything that requires more space is a challenge... rolleyes1.gif

Is it only me, or do other people dream of building "garages" that are actually studios in disguise?! (We have enough *land* in our yard - in fact, apparently there was a garage out in the back many years ago, long since fallen down! - we just don't have the money to do anything about it!!!)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Is it only me, or do other people dream of building "garages" that are actually studios in disguise?! (We have enough *land* in our yard - in fact, apparently there was a garage out in the back many years ago, long since fallen down! - we just don't have the money to do anything about it!!!)

That, or you can go with an Inflatable Photographic Studio:
    http://www.ips-studio.com/
    (thanks to David TO who originally let me know about it)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I love these...blown highlights and all....It so very good for her to express and get what she wants from your ventures!

DO you use a Mirror for her? Sometimes using a mirror helps them see themselves, their poses and you can also ask them to play to the mirror while you shoot.

I rather like GAGA, and I haven't ever heard the girl speak or seen her. But I have read about her and heard her words and like what I hear.

As far as the space in the yard Best thing I can tell ya, is to keep your eyes open for an old house someone is tearing down to make way for a NEW house. Haul off the remnants for free...to your house!

Shooting in general in such a small space is is tuff-Stuff! You do it well!

Nice to See the Mini-D doing her thang!
    tom wise