Options

my second wedding! image HEAVY

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 28, 2010 in Weddings
I think this went much better and I think my images are improved as well, but then again I was very sick at my first wedding.
I changed a setting to focus AND release and it made a lot of the images soft, but I kinda like that because it is not as though part is in sharp focus and part way off. I read so many opinions on camera settings for wedding my head was spinning!!:scratch Even though I got great advice not to try anything new....:rolleyes it took me a day to figure it out

I did not shoot the reception, the bride was just having a big dinner at a BBQ spot, I did come just to shoot the cake though. So these are a few from the before, during and after.

Some are repeats as I can't decide how I want to crop or PP, so I try several things. Feel free to CC on the crop or pp.

It is such a shame the groom's family was sooo shy. You'll see what I mean in the photos. :D

Here are some of my favorites...

11060621462_9Zw8X-L.jpg

21060621752_BuYxR-L.jpg
outside on the limo

3 1060622005_yhwFx-L.jpg
also on the limo

41060617232_sb7oD-L.jpg
even daycare rooms can be pretty background, if you make everyone stand by the white chalkboard!

5 1060617385_jKbXc-L.jpg

6 1060617784_Q665H-L.jpg

71060618063_8EmKf-L.jpg
Every single person on the groom's side was Horney!!!

8 1055126719_qhySm-L.jpg
PROOF

9 1060618338_nQC7P-L.jpg
PROOF[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"][/COLOR]

10 1055125734_BkFSn-L.jpg
I need to lighten this, I loved the 2 uncles!!!!!!!

11 1060619000_zAdwZ-L.jpg
family joke on the groom about YMCA song/dance

12 1060619358_pbJh5-L.jpg
I know the skin is too slimy but I didn't do anything to it, just the whole image was corrected.

13 1060619982_67gAF-M.jpg1060620353_p8tvh-M.jpg

141060621290_LfgN7-L.jpg
1060621138_qW4sN-L.jpg

151060620521_XoouS-L.jpg
1060620711_4bN7T-L.jpg

161060621091_5e9dS-L.jpg
1060621096_3U3V7-L.jpg

17 1060622488_FJ2R4-L.jpg
The church had very nice lighting.. I also working with a video guy for the first time, he is with the church, I had 2 static cameras and one mobile to work around.

18 1055072848_3wrQy-L.jpg
we were losing the light fast, I now see the ground there was not the best spot to use, but once I got the bride happy it was easier not to move her for the family stuff. The gal on the far left did not want her mommy to be tummy to show.I think it worked pretty well, she looked about 7 or 8 months along.

19 1060622583_Pjcfs-L.jpg
framed for Facebook fodder...

20 1060622222_Aytch-L.jpg

21 1060622886_tdnMf-L.jpg

the end!:whew
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    I'm tellin' ya, your work is great and you don't need the softening effects to "save" your photos! They've got enough weight on their own, so unless you want clients to EXPECT such results, I'd keep it clean and simple and just focus on capturing emotion and light. :-)

Good work!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Trudy! These are awesome!! I agree with Matt, your images are so great all the time, I really dont think you need to add anything to them!

Wonderful job!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Wonderful I love #14 & 16.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Matt and Ben, thank you for your input. I didn't add softness to all, some was due to my priority setting change to focus AND release. I have a very very bad habit of overdoing the PP and your encouragement is helpful to me, thank you for keeping it honest!

Icebear I love those two as well. It was such a fun job I love some of the images just for the memories~!

Two years ago friends asked if I would do weddings, to make the big bucks, lol. I recall I said no, never ever want to do weddings.I never thought I would have enough skills, but I think I have the skills to do the right type of wedding for now. I love shooting the people and the pretty stuff. I LOVED those shoes.iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

Did anyone get the pun? headscratch.gif

The groom's last name is Horney? Or did everyone just think I was lowclass, or maybe just not funny?? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »

The groom's last name is Horney? Or did everyone just think I was lowclass, or maybe just not funny?? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

My great-aunt's last name is "Hooker" and she seriously gets phone calls in the middle of the night asking for ... uh... yeah, I'm sure you get the idea. And yes, they've heard all the jokes.

On a more serious note, if the bride isn't 110% pleased with these, she's totally blind. I LOVE the one of her getting ready with the white board in the background, I didn't even notice it was a dry erase board until you pointed it out!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    ...I have a very very bad habit of overdoing the PP and your encouragement is helpful to me, thank you for keeping it honest!
    There are innumerable phases that we all go through during our experience with photography, so this is certainly "excusable"... Just keep re-assessing your portfolio and processing style as often as you have time, and let it slowly evolve. You'll be fine!

Two years ago friends asked if I would do weddings, to make the big bucks, lol. I recall I said no, never ever want to do weddings....
    I think it's a rite of passage now, for a hobbyist to cave in and shoot a few weddings. You either love it or hate it! Glad you've had good experiences so far... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I didn't have time to read all the posts, but I think you did a great job!! Your clients will be uber happy!!

Sam
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    some of the PP is over done to my taste but SOLID set overall!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Trudy.. NICE job woman!!! The overall set for me just screams "CLASS". You really outdid yourself. Nice, nice work :) The processing is just beautifully done. Luxurious beyond words!!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Yay!! Congrats, I think it's a really pretty set. And I love the shoes (one of my brides this year had the same pair iloveyou.gif)

my 2 cents, take them or don't :D

1) Nice, but what's on the right bottom corner?
    2) Nice also, I'd prefer to see the heel
    3) I like it, but I think in this case I'd clone out the red reflection on the top right ... it's somehow distracting to me
    4) *sigh* to the location where the bride was getting ready rolleyes1.gif - I'd definitely take out the white board erasers for the album print.
    5) Not too bad, I'd probably take out the red chair (you can probably even simply paint over it), and too bad you cropped off the top of her head
    7) Tooooo funny!
    8) LOVE it!!!!!!!!! iloveyou.gif I'd put it in black and white.
    9-12) Great candids
    13) Awesome too :D
    14-17) Cute, but ahhhhhh the blown dress (happens, and I'm sure she'll like it), but let's face it, it's blown.
    18) She was hiding her pregnant tummy?? What the heck? I know you realized it already .... too bad she's standing up higher, might have not been the best location to take the photos, BUT I like the light (his arm looks awfully "uncomfortable" though)
    19) Cute - do we get to see more of the 2 of them? :D
    20-21) Nice photos, nice treatment.

All in one, I like what you posted, I do agree thought about the very soft treatment .... or maybe it was your settings, they're definitely a bit too soft & glowy for my taste (but hey, that's a matter of style, everybody likes it a bit different)

Thanks for sharing, looks like a really cute couple & a fun wedding iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    krauzianimagekrauzianimage Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    VayCay, I did not get your pun, probably because I have been around too many groomsmen; I found nothing strange about your origanal statement. http://krauzianimage.com