Ideas for conserving battery life

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited October 30, 2010 in Cameras
My battery isn't holding the charge it used to, and until I can get a new one, I need to conserve my old one on shoots. I've come up with two things so far:
Limit use of the display(no quick review)
and
don't use the 8fps on my 1DII:D

Any others?

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Manually focus or turn off continous auto-focus, turn off VR (IS or whatever it is called).

I'd strongly suggest having 2 batteries around at all times. My nikons can take bout 1,000 shots or so on a single battery(more than enough for a single day normally), so I have 5 of them. They come in handing on a vacation. But running around with just a single battery is probably not a good idea.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Manually focus or turn off continous auto-focus, turn off VR (IS or whatever it is called).

I'd strongly suggest having 2 batteries around at all times. My nikons can take bout 1,000 shots or so on a single battery(more than enough for a single day normally), so I have 5 of them. They come in handing on a vacation. But running around with just a single battery is probably not a good idea.
    Unfortunately the older Canons are still NiMH, so they're just not gonna last very long.

But yeah, the day I decided to work professionally, I went out and bought three spare batteries, for a total of five. Now I never run out, even if I have to shoot for 2-3 days back-to-back and don't have time to charge each battery.

As far as conserving power goes, yeah it depends what you shoot. Stop using the LCD altogether, if possible. Set everything else to auto-sleep asap, such as the metering and top LCD display, I think Canon has a pretty good system for putting the camera to sleep. Of course you can just turn the camera off as often as possible, too.

Avoiding stabilization will help, avoiding autofocus whenever possible will help to but I guess that's only doable if you're shooting in still-life type situations, or if you shoot a lot at wider angles.

Not sure about the 1D mk2, but on Nikon shooting RAW definitely consumes more battery power than shooting JPG. So that's an option.

And definitely keep the FPS down, shoot conservatively in general, etc. Just think about photographers in the days of film. You had just 12 or 36 clicks, and then you had to change rolls!

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Time to replace the battery. They will drop dead quickly once you start to notice degradation.

With a lithium battery the best way to prolong life is:
    1) minimise the number of times you need to recharge, ie by not using hungry features like the screen, live-view, storing 8fps (data transfer).
    2) do a deep discharge every month and then recharge fully.

Personally I don't worry about 1) because it interferes with my enjoyment of my hobby. Neither do I do 2) every month because it is a hassle to do a deep discharge - you have to set the screen permanently on or somesuch.

Batteries will die after a couple of years - fact of life. Most are designed for a day's shooting but when you notice degradation it is definitely time to buy a new one.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 24, 2010
    As an aside, I have had very good luck with the 3rd party batteries from B&H. (If you read the comments others have not been so lucky.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427040-REG/Impact_NPE3_NP_E3_Rechargeable_NiMH_Battery.html

I suspect that if you charge these batteries every month or before you need to use them, using the "refresh" maybe twice a year, you will get pretty good service.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Ziggy, seems like the reviewers say the battery comes loose or doesn't fit right. Have you had any of these problems?
    Actually, I was planning on getting a Lenmar from Adorama...
    http://www.adorama.com/LRDMCE3.html
    But if the Impact is just as good, I may consider it...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 24, 2010
    Ziggy, seems like the reviewers say the battery comes loose or doesn't fit right. Have you had any of these problems?
    Actually, I was planning on getting a Lenmar from Adorama...
    http://www.adorama.com/LRDMCE3.html
    But if the Impact is just as good, I may consider it...

Sorry, I just checked and these say "CTA" brand. It looks like B&H no longer carries them. These CTA do not fit/seal as well as the Canon oem batteries, but I have not had any significant problems with them either. The latches are a little more finicky, but still very acceptable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    But yeah, the day I decided to work professionally, I went out and bought three spare batteries, for a total of five. Now I never run out, even if I have to shoot for 2-3 days back-to-back and don't have time to charge each battery.

=Matt=

I don't see why anyone doesn't keep spare batteries, for models like the Canon XSi/450D they are only $5 (China imports!)
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I don't see why anyone doesn't keep spare batteries, for models like the Canon XSi/450D they are only $5 (China imports!)
    I prefer the slightly higher quality 3rd party batteries, I'd rather not put something in my camera that might leak acid or something. Just playing it safer than I probably need to. I like Calumet batteries, but yeah they're pretty cheap for the smaller cameras. I think $20 or $30 for a D300 / D700 battery. However, the larger pro-size batteries are a little bit more, and a little less common on the 3rd-party market especially for the older models.

=Matt=
    edited October 24, 2010
    Yes, I got my 1DII recently and put most of my spare cash into lenses and CFs. I know it's never a good idea to carry just 1 batt, but seriously Canon, 100 bucks for a battery? I mean, yes, they're good batteries, but really... So I was gonna get one of those $20-30 3rd party ones. The Lenmar gets mostly good reviews on Adorama, while the Impact on B&H gets so-so reviews. But the Lenmar is $10 more. So I'll probably get the Lenmar. BTW, any experience with either of these, anyone?
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Try one of these places for a battery. LINK
    I don't know if Sterlingtek is in that link, but I have bought batteries from them for my XTi, XSi and 30D and had no problems with them.

As for trying to save power to get by, I think anything you do will hamper your ability to take quality photos with your latest camera.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited October 25, 2010
    There are genuine safety concerns with lithium batteries. It makes sense to me to get the genuine article from Canon although you still have to be careful where you buy to avoid counterfeits.

I am surprised Canon (and others) do not price spare batteries more reasonably when they are concerned about their customers.

Still, it does not make sense to me for photographers to rely on "very good luck" when buying a vital part for thousands of dollars of kit and when very bad luck can result in serious physical injury.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    There are genuine safety concerns with lithium batteries. It makes sense to me to get the genuine article from Canon although you still have to be careful where you buy to avoid counterfeits.
    I am surprised Canon (and others) do not price spare batteries more reasonably when they are concerned about their customers.
    Still, it does not make sense to me for photographers to rely on "very good luck" when buying a vital part for thousands of dollars of kit and when very bad luck can result in serious physical injury.

maybe it's not luck at all, maybe all the batteries come from one factory in China !
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Good discussion. Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    maybe it's not luck at all, maybe all the batteries come from one factory in China !

Actually. . . .
    Slightly off topic but there is one stroller factory here in Guangdong that makes the majority of all baby carriages/strollers sold in the USA, just not under their own name. Probably most parents do not know that Graco and Combi and every other Walmart/Toy's R us stroller is made by the same factory.

I'd not be suprised if it is the same thing with batteries.ne_nau.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Actually. . . .
    Slightly off topic but there is one stroller factory here in Guangdong that makes the majority of all baby carriages/strollers sold in the USA, just not under their own name. Probably most parents do not know that Graco and Combi and every other Walmart/Toy's R us stroller is made by the same factory.

I'd not be suprised if it is the same thing with batteries.ne_nau.gif

Chinese factories are designed to produce both quality and crap. Diversification of market placement is profitable. Different brands might very well come from the same plant, but they are definitely not necessarily the same product.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited October 25, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Chinese factories are designed to produce both quality and crap. Diversification of market placement is profitable. Different brands might very well come from the same plant, but they are definitely not necessarily the same product.

Neil

Absolutely true. A few years ago I visited a major computer motherboard factory in China and saw products for Apple, IBM, Compaq (as then) rolling down adjacent lines to some Taiwanese B Brands and others I will politely call C Brands. Products may come from the same factory but they are definitely not the same product. The Chinese have developed the many face approach into a fine art - you get what you pay for.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I have had good luck going to my local BatteriesPlus they even will let you check fit etc. before purchase. I have purchased cellphone and camera batteries there with no problem for probably five years plus.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 25, 2010
    I have had good luck going to my local BatteriesPlus <HTTP: default.aspx www.batteriesplus.com>they even will let you check fit etc. before purchase. I have purchased cellphone and camera batteries there with no problem for probably five years plus.

I know of one in my area and have heard good things about them. But I checked their website, looks like they don't have it.
    edited October 26, 2010
    Just bought an Impact from B&H. ~$24 incl. shipping.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I said that before: I had fairly bad luck with 3d party batteries. On the long run it was a total waste of money. OTOH genuine Canon ones have NEVER failed me.
    I must add though that I don't keep outdated bodies, which tend to show much worse "battery mileage" that the modern ones.
    Currently I use 5D2 + 7D and I have 6 genuine Canon batteries. This setup works fine even for very intensive public event shoots, like a reenactment.
    You wouldn't add a cheap gasoline to an F1 car, why try and skim $50 on a $2,500..$5,000 camera? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I said that before: I had fairly bad luck with 3d party batteries. On the long run it was a total waste of money. OTOH genuine Canon ones have NEVER failed me.
    I must add though that I don't keep outdated bodies, which tend to show much worse "battery mileage" that the modern ones.
    Currently I use 5D2 + 7D and I have 6 genuine Canon batteries. This setup works fine even for very intensive public event shoots, like a reenactment.
    You would add a cheap gasoline to an F1 car, why salvage $50 on a $2,500..$5,000 camera?
    Just as a counter-statistic, my Calumet brand batteries have performed exactly the same as my Nikon batteries, if not better. I've had them for at least 3 years and they're still in that first notch of the battery health meter.

=Matt=
    edited October 26, 2010
    Just as a counter-statistic, my Calumet brand batteries have performed exactly the same as my Nikon batteries, if not better. I've had them for at least 3 years and they're still in that first notch of the battery health meter.

=Matt=
    Well, you're lucky thumb.gif I'm not, so I had to pay the price. mwink.gif
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Be careful with the cheap lithum batteries from China. There are couple of report on the battery explosion on the handphone lithum batteries. So far there is no official report on the camera battery explosion YET.

Good luck!
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited October 30, 2010
    Just got my Impact yesterday. Nice UPS, estimated 5-7 days delivery, 3days to ship! Anyway, yes, it's better built than I thought. It's no Canon, but for the price, I'm satisfied so far. One thing I've noticed is when you turn the latch to release it from the body, you have to press down a button on the side of the battery as well(on the Canon). The Impact has this button on the side, but it's of no use. A simple turn of the latch fully releases the battery. I'm gonna go do some shooting with it now.
    edited October 30, 2010
    Just got my Impact yesterday. Nice UPS, estimated 5-7 days delivery, 3days to ship! Anyway, yes, it's better built than I thought. It's no Canon, but for the price, I'm satisfied so far. One thing I've noticed is when you turn the latch to release it from the body, you have to press down a button on the side of the battery as well(on the Canon). The Impact has this button on the side, but it's of no use. A simple turn of the latch fully releases the battery. I'm gonna go do some shooting with it now.

There is a button on Canon batteries? eek7.gif
    Interesting, I have never noticed one, and I shot with (1D), 20/30/40/50D, 7D and 5D2. Maybe a different body? headscratch.gif
    edited October 30, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    There is a button on Canon batteries? eek7.gif
    Interesting, I have never noticed one, and I shot with (1D), 20/30/40/50D, 7D and 5D2. Maybe a different body? headscratch.gif

Umm... The 1D original uses the saame battery I'm using. The Canon ones have a little button, I think it says "2" on or near it, and it's facing the front of the camera body. Very small and kinda hard to push. I think only 1-series batteries have this.
    edited October 30, 2010
    Umm... The 1D original uses the saame battery I'm using. The Canon ones have a little button, I think it says "2" on or near it, and it's facing the front of the camera body. Very small and kinda hard to push. I think only 1-series batteries have this.

Possibly. The 1D I used was borrowed briefly & temporarily (hence the parentheses in my list) when I just started with dslrs 5 years ago, so I may not remember those minute details headscratch.gif