Asking for help

PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited October 28, 2010 in People
All,

Yesterday I had the pleasure of shooting a special event. Someone who is 17 was dying of Leukemia. The family and a very special volunteer organization arranged a large birthday party for this him. I was asked to help take pictures which I did as a volunteer. My focus of the day was to try to show him not as someone sick waiting for their last party but to show him as much of a normal 17 year old surrounded by friends and family. I tried to eliminate the wheelchair, focusing on his face and upper body with everyone around him. I haven't had a chance to download the images and will soon at which point I will provide a couple of sample images.

In retrospect, I should have asked for people's input here, but with the experience in mind, is there any advice anyone can regarding future opportunities?
http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Sounds to me like you had a great plan already...can't wait to see some of the images. I'm sure it was a mentally difficult shoot. Kudos to you!
  • YoungNomadYoungNomad Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Much respect for taking on such a challenging job. From your post it sounds like you put a bucket load of thought into the day, which I'm sure will translate to the actual shoot. A good collection of shots, with and without wheelchair etc will let the family decide which ones appeal to them the most.

At the end of the day, you can't really nail what the family wants unless you ask the candid questions, which isn't always appropriate. Can't wait to see the work!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I feel it should always be a celebration of life. Rod Evans did this in the same type of situation.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Good on ya for shooting this event thumb.gif
    My focus of the day was to try to show him not as someone sick waiting for their last party but to show him as much of a normal 17 year old surrounded by friends and family. I tried to eliminate the wheelchair, focusing on his face and upper body with everyone around him.
    I agree with your idea, I would have done the same thing most likely. However, I would make sure to get some shots specifically including his whole body & weelchair as well, since that is 'normal' to him, his family and his friends. They are used to seeing him like that, and shouldn't be completely 'hidden' I think.

Got some images yet? :lurk
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Yes. I have an update also.

The family loved the images.

The boy passed as well this week, it's very sad. It was very quick.

The family is using the images in the wake, the slideshow that is usually in during the wake.

1064043142_Vjvog-M.jpg

1064083721_Mbw7z-M.jpg
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln