Options

Drag to rearrange problem and annoyance

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited February 23, 2011 in Bug Reporting
I am so sick and tired of this bug. It's been there forever (ever since arrange mode was implemented).

I have a gallery that has auto-sort on (all my galleries always start with auto-sort on when I create them).

I decide I want to manually arrange the gallery. I click on the arrange mode checkbox and start arranging. Everything seems to be working fine. Then I come back to the gallery later - hmmm nothing is arranged in the order I just did.

OK, go into gallery settings and turn off auto-sort. Now, it will let me arrange them into the order I want. I'm calling this a bug because it's a big design goof. When the user hits the Arrange Mode and starts dragging images around, there is ONLY one thing they could possibly want. They want to rearrange the images. They want to change the order of the images. They want auto-sort to be turned off so the gallery will appear in the order they are arranging it to. Great software would know this and just do what the user wants, not make the user figure out a puzzle and do a bunch of extra steps in order to get what they want.

Smugmug, when a user starts manually arranging their images, turn auto-sort off. There is no other possible thing the user could want - they want to arrange their images into a custom order. Why accept my rearrangement, tell me nothing about any issues and then refuse to display what I just organized. This is just wrong. And, it's been this way forever. Just do what the user wants.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    When going to manual arrange/sort I get a message that auto-sort is on and are asked to over-ride.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    When going to manual arrange/sort I get a message that auto-sort is on and are asked to over-ride.
    When clicking on the Arrange Mode checkbox, I get no such prompt:

2010-10-24_0953.png

It just lets me happily arrange my gallery, then doesn't show it in the arranged order when I return to the gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Bird LadyBird Lady Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    When clicking on the Arrange Mode checkbox, I get no such prompt:

2010-10-24_0953.png

It just lets me happily arrange my gallery, then doesn't show it in the arranged order when I return to the gallery.

Thank you for writing this, John. I've been going through the same thing and thought it was something else that I didn't know how to do. And I have never had auto-sort turned on.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 25, 2010
    Thanks guys, this one is bugged. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon. Sorry for the trouble.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bird LadyBird Lady Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    docwalker wrote: »
    Thanks guys, this one is bugged. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon. Sorry for the trouble.

Any word on when this problem will finally get fixed? It's beyond annoying at this point.
  • Options
    SmugMugUserSmugMugUser Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    This has been annoying me all day today. I've been rearranging pictures in a lot of my galleries today. I sent out a link to a specific photo and asked the recipients to scroll one image to the left to see the original (I had just arranged it how I wanted). Come to find out, the original is still set to the right of it.

I understand the whole "auto-arrange" and other settings. I originally had mine set to arrange by "date taken". After I used Picnik to edit some photo's and make copies of them; it placed the originals to the right of the edited ones. I wanted them to the left so I tried to arrange them that way (which appeared to be correct when I did it but I later found out it was not). I then set the auto sort to "none" and it messed them all up. I wanted all the gallery but a few to be sorted by "date taken". From there I want to just rearrange a few of them. I still can't seem to figure it out. And I'm not going to arrange every one individually.
    --Brandon
    http://goo.gl/M1bEN (Link to my SmugMug site is shortened since it has my name in it and I would prefer that none of these forum pages show up on Google when my name is searched.)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    This has been annoying me all day today. I've been rearranging pictures in a lot of my galleries today. I sent out a link to a specific photo and asked the recipients to scroll one image to the left to see the original (I had just arranged it how I wanted). Come to find out, the original is still set to the right of it.

I understand the whole "auto-arrange" and other settings. I originally had mine set to arrange by "date taken". After I used Picnik to edit some photo's and make copies of them; it placed the originals to the right of the edited ones. I wanted them to the left so I tried to arrange them that way (which appeared to be correct when I did it but I later found out it was not). I then set the auto sort to "none" and it messed them all up. I wanted all the gallery but a few to be sorted by "date taken". From there I want to just rearrange a few of them. I still can't seem to figure it out. And I'm not going to arrange every one individually.
    Under gallery settings set sort to none/ascending. Then under tools > many photos > arrange > sort pick date taken/ascending. This will get your photos back to that sort, it's a one time shot. Now individual photos can be moved.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    SmugMugUserSmugMugUser Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Thanks! This did the trick. Sort of a pain to go through every gallery but I got it done.
    --Brandon
    http://goo.gl/M1bEN (Link to my SmugMug site is shortened since it has my name in it and I would prefer that none of these forum pages show up on Google when my name is searched.)