Linn Cove Viaduct, BRP

PriorPrior Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited October 29, 2010 in Landscapes
This is my first picture post on DGrin... Took these a week or so ago at the Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Working on learning a D2X that I recently recieved as a gift from an Uncle, and this is my first foray into a DSLR- lots left to learn.

What do you guys think?

1042608388_KqUBi-M.jpg

1042678167_juLRb-M.jpg
awprior.smugmug.com
Nikon D2x
Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX
Nikon SB-800

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    First off, you have a lot of sky with very little detail (ie., clouds) in these images. I understand how frustrating that can be as I recently was out in Western NC and there were no clouds all weekend. Most people love sunny days, but they are not the best for photographers.

I like the looking down perspective that you have in the first image, though I wish we could see more of that famous curve. Without the curve being more prominent, the image is a bit flat. Getting up a little bit higher and pointing down at the scene even more would have probably given us more of the curve.

It also looks like you took this at mid-day. I say that because the lighting is flat throughout the image. I would suggest trying this just after sunrise or just before sunset and see if you don't get more interesting light.

In the second image, because you have a blue sky with no clouds, you should consider completely cropping out the sky. That and moving the position of your camera just a bit so that the curve is more visible would have helped greatly.

That said, welcome to Dgrin! I look forward to seeing more from you because I believe these images show a lot of promise! thumb.gif Just keep practicing and keep coming here for critique and you'll keep getting better! This is an excellent spot on the web for photographers and we're glad to have you here. :D
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin!

The second pictures has lots of beautiful colors in the foliage but the contrast is a little flat. If you have access to software such as Photoshop, Elements, or similar post processing software you may want to try to perform a levels adjustment or better yet a curves adjustment to improve the overall contrast. That will help make the colors pop and bring even more interest to the picture.
  • PriorPrior Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I did shoot these in the afternoon and am definitely aware of the affects of the hot light. I shot these while passing through coming back from a trip further out west, so not a ton I could do about the timing. Thanks for the advice on cropping and general positioning; I do see what you are talking about.

Tom,
    I am going to be purchasing Lightroom sometime in the upcoming months. I've primarily been focusing on learning the camera and forcing myself to shoot everything manually to better understand what impact different setting changes have on the photograph. Once I've gotten a good footing on that, I'll start playing a little more with software. I'd rather get the photo close by itself and then do some minor tweaks rather than take bad pictures and let the computer make up for it.

The D2X an older DSLR, but still a great camera and great bit of gear that came with it (18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX, SB-800 flash and a few filters). I'd like to add a few more filters to my stash (currently have a linear polarizer, UV and 'digital vision' filter, which I am not sure what it is), as well as a wider, faster lens.
    I live in a great part of the country for photography, so there will be more to come. Too bad the day job gets in the way too often!
    Alex
    awprior.smugmug.com
    Nikon D2x
    Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX
    Nikon SB-800
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I cant give any C&C Ilike the pics the 1st one I really like its pretty you did a great job thanks for sharing:)
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Oh how I miss the BRP, specially at this time of year. I like #1 the most.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Welcome to the forum Alex. Hope you like the photo from last night. I need to get down there and ride with you again.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • PriorPrior Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Mike,
    The pic worked great. Thank you. Come down whenever you'd like! Got some great roads I can show you and we can shoot some great photos as well!
    Alex
    awprior.smugmug.com
    Nikon D2x
    Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX
    Nikon SB-800